Buying Advice Maybe buying a new Gravely "pro turn 48"

RustyBoy

Threads
I don't have any problems maneuvering and cutting around my deck, garage, landscaping or shrubs using the left side of the deck. For a $360 difference that would be money well spent upgrading to the Pro-Turn. Now remember...my Gravely is NOT the base Pro-Turn. It is a step up into the Pro-Turn 100 XDZ(stands for Xtra-Durability ZTR) Commercial lineup. When I bought my 2012 mine was their "entry-level" Commercial ZTR. They came out with the regular Pro-Turn in 2013 as their "entry-level" Commercial series and is very similar, but has the 10 gauge deck(mine is 7 gauge), the FS series Kawa engine(mine has the FX....BTW, on Kawa engines FR=Residential, FS=Heavy Duty and FX=Commercial) the ZT-3200 trannies(mine has the ZT-3400). I believe they use the same frame because both state 78.6" length and 50" width(without chute). And the Pro-Turn has 13" front tires and 22" rear where mine has 23" rear. Mine has 9.5 gal. capacity gas tanks and the Pro-Turn has 6.0 gal. I can't tell you all the differences, but on the 48" the 100 XDZ is about 100 lbs heavier than the base Pro-Turn so there are several features that are a bit heavier-duty on the 100 XDZ to add that much weight. I measured my front tires and they are 5" from my 52" deck and the front of the tires 17" from the deck. I'm not certain I understand where you are going with that but the front fork design must be correct for each machine to ensure stability. Most likely the 7 12/2" vs 3 1/2" you noted between the Pro-Turn and HD is due to the Pro-Turn having much larger/heavier constructed fork shafts and this can add durability and maneuverability versus the HD model. As with anything...the more you pay for a model when you go up a series the better quality you get.[/QUOTE

Thank you for the feedback as it was most helpful. Where am I going with this? Hell if I know, but the front forks on the Pro-Turn look so much different than the HD, almost awkward to me because of the 7 1/2" gap between the casters and deck. The fact that you don't have problems with maneuvering around anything helps a lot in my decision, even though the gap between the casters and deck on the 48" is 2 1/2" more, so that can't make much of a difference. I'm going to the dealer Monday morning for the last time and hopefully make a decision. I'll also see how much more YOUR seat would cost, if possible, to replace the entry level Pro-Turn's seat. Either way, I'm thinking of the Pro-Turn more now than before, thanks to you and jonesandjones's comments. BTW, Gravely is modifying their decks by removing the chains and going to a dogbone style drag link starting with the Pro-Turn series for 2014. I was told that the dogbone style eliminates a wear point, unlike the chain, however, I tend to think the chain is proven and of a simpler design and easy to repair the worn part. Thanks again and I'll let you know what I decide.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't have any problems maneuvering and cutting around my deck, garage, landscaping or shrubs using the left side of the deck. For a $360 difference that would be money well spent upgrading to the Pro-Turn. Now remember...my Gravely is NOT the base Pro-Turn. It is a step up into the Pro-Turn 100 XDZ(stands for Xtra-Durability ZTR) Commercial lineup. When I bought my 2012 mine was their "entry-level" Commercial ZTR. They came out with the regular Pro-Turn in 2013 as their "entry-level" Commercial series and is very similar, but has the 10 gauge deck(mine is 7 gauge), the FS series Kawa engine(mine has the FX....BTW, on Kawa engines FR=Residential, FS=Heavy Duty and FX=Commercial) the ZT-3200 trannies(mine has the ZT-3400). I believe they use the same frame because both state 78.6" length and 50" width(without chute). And the Pro-Turn has 13" front tires and 22" rear where mine has 23" rear. Mine has 9.5 gal. capacity gas tanks and the Pro-Turn has 6.0 gal. I can't tell you all the differences, but on the 48" the 100 XDZ is about 100 lbs heavier than the base Pro-Turn so there are several features that are a bit heavier-duty on the 100 XDZ to add that much weight. I measured my front tires and they are 5" from my 52" deck and the front of the tires 17" from the deck. I'm not certain I understand where you are going with that but the front fork design must be correct for each machine to ensure stability. Most likely the 7 12/2" vs 3 1/2" you noted between the Pro-Turn and HD is due to the Pro-Turn having much larger/heavier constructed fork shafts and this can add durability and maneuverability versus the HD model. As with anything...the more you pay for a model when you go up a series the better quality you get.[/QUOTE

Thank you for the feedback as it was most helpful. Where am I going with this? Hell if I know, but the front forks on the Pro-Turn look so much different than the HD, almost awkward to me because of the 7 1/2" gap between the casters and deck. The fact that you don't have problems with maneuvering around anything helps a lot in my decision, even though the gap between the casters and deck on the 48" is 2 1/2" more, so that can't make much of a difference. I'm going to the dealer Monday morning for the last time and hopefully make a decision. I'll also see how much more YOUR seat would cost, if possible, to replace the entry level Pro-Turn's seat. Either way, I'm thinking of the Pro-Turn more now than before, thanks to you and jonesandjones's comments. BTW, Gravely is modifying their decks by removing the chains and going to a dogbone style drag link starting with the Pro-Turn series for 2014. I was told that the dogbone style eliminates a wear point, unlike the chain, however, I tend to think the chain is proven and of a simpler design and easy to repair the worn part. Thanks again and I'll let you know what I decide.

Glad to help....hope the dealer will work with you. Not sure how I feel about Gravely's design decision on the deck hanging system The chains are VERY HEAVY duty and will last for decades. Chain-hung deck suspensions are well proven in the commercial lawncare industry and have been a standard others have abandoned only to find it harder to adjust, stay adjusted and to prevent scalping. Leveling my deck is a cinch as well as setting the front lower than the back(some Pros set the rear of the deck lower...called "heeling the deck" which is supposed to give a cleaner more professional cut but requires more engine power). IMHO, if it ain't broke don't fix it:0)

RustyBoy

Threads
Glad to help....hope the dealer will work with you. Not sure how I feel about Gravely's design decision on the deck hanging system The chains are VERY HEAVY duty and will last for decades. Chain-hung deck suspensions are well proven in the commercial lawncare industry and have been a standard others have abandoned only to find it harder to adjust, stay adjusted and to prevent scalping. Leveling my deck is a cinch as well as setting the front lower than the back(some Pros set the rear of the deck lower...called "heeling the deck" which is supposed to give a cleaner more professional cut but requires more engine power). IMHO, if it ain't broke don't fix it:0)

Ok, I pulled the plug on the entry level 48" Pro-Turn and added the floor pan mat and discharge chute cover. The suspension seat like what you have would have cost nearly $450 more, so I decided to take jonesandjones recommendation as with his bad back and the type grass we have, shouldn't have any problems. Thanks to you and everyone else for your constructive comments.

Justwookin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I pulled the plug on the entry level 48" Pro-Turn and added the floor pan mat and discharge chute cover. The suspension seat like what you have would have cost nearly $450 more, so I decided to take jonesandjones recommendation as with his bad back and the type grass we have, shouldn't have any problems. Thanks to you and everyone else for your constructive comments.

Please let me know how you like it. I am in the exact same boat. I have been contemplating between the Gravely ZT HD 48 and the Kubota Kommander 48S. I liked all of the specs on the Gravely better than the Kubota, the only thing I like about the Kubota is the roll bar, since my yard has some hills. (However, I don't like the non-hinged roll bar that the kubota has). So then I started looking at the Gravely Pro-turn 48. The only thing I don't like about the pro-turn (besides the price) is the longer length, since I have a tight area to fit it in my garage.

Decision, decisions. My head is spinning. Btw, can I ask what price you paid for the Pro-turn 48 and were quoted on the ZT HD 48?

RustyBoy

Threads
Please let me know how you like it. I am in the exact same boat. I have been contemplating between the Gravely ZT HD 48 and the Kubota Kommander 48S. I liked all of the specs on the Gravely better than the Kubota, the only thing I like about the Kubota is the roll bar, since my yard has some hills. (However, I don't like the non-hinged roll bar that the kubota has). So then I started looking at the Gravely Pro-turn 48. The only thing I don't like about the pro-turn (besides the price) is the longer length, since I have a tight area to fit it in my garage.

Decision, decisions. My head is spinning. Btw, can I ask what price you paid for the Pro-turn 48 and were quoted on the ZT HD 48?

I agree with you regarding the better specs of the HD versus the Kommander. The Kommander does look neat but that's not the reason I'm buying the mower. I know what you mean about the length, but when comparing the mowers to the Kubota, there is only a 2.1" difference as the Kubota is 76.4" and Pro-Turn at 78.5". Of course, the HD is shorter than both. My final decision with going with the Pro-Turn versus the HD is because I originally was thinking about buying the HD's optional suspension seat that costs $260. The Kubota model S has the suspension seat, so if you want to do a fair comparison, you need to add the Gravely suspension seat to the equation. I received quotes from two dealers and both were the same price. During a certain day in April, I was told that Gravely is allowing dealers to sell one mower at dealer cost per person/company - Gravely then rebates the dealer. The HD cash price w/o tax was $4439 plus $260 for the seat. So I would have paid $4700 for the HD. The Pro-Turn is $5210 for the promotion and has a much better seat than the HD (without suspension seat). But I believed it worth paying $510 more for the Pro-Turn not only because of the seat, but it has a better engine, better transmission, stronger forks and commercial deck suspension. Resale is also another factor when and if I have to sell. But getting the promotional price reduces your warranty from consumer to commercial. Otherwise, others have said a good price in south Florida is around $5350 to $5500 that I would assume would be cash and not credit card or financing. So without the promotion and using a credit care, I think $5500 is about right, albeit most dealers are asking around $5900, and suggested retail is $6600. From my experience, Kubota will not budge. Lastly, Kubota has no customer service phone number or online support to speak of while Gravely has all sorts of online tech support articles and accessories as well as tech people you can speak to. I tried calling Kubota about a technical question and was told to contact the dealer. Also, I was told by a couple of people that Kubota parts are more expensive.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with you regarding the better specs of the HD versus the Kommander. The Kommander does look neat but that's not the reason I'm buying the mower. I know what you mean about the length, but when comparing the mowers to the Kubota, there is only a 2.1" difference as the Kubota is 76.4" and Pro-Turn at 78.5". Of course, the HD is shorter than both. My final decision with going with the Pro-Turn versus the HD is because I originally was thinking about buying the HD's optional suspension seat that costs $260. The Kubota model S has the suspension seat, so if you want to do a fair comparison, you need to add the Gravely suspension seat to the equation. I received quotes from two dealers and both were the same price. During a certain day in April, I was told that Gravely is allowing dealers to sell one mower at dealer cost per person/company - Gravely then rebates the dealer. The HD cash price w/o tax was $4439 plus $260 for the seat. So I would have paid $4700 for the HD. The Pro-Turn is $5210 for the promotion and has a much better seat than the HD (without suspension seat). But I believed it worth paying $510 more for the Pro-Turn not only because of the seat, but it has a better engine, better transmission, stronger forks and commercial deck suspension. Resale is also another factor when and if I have to sell. But getting the promotional price reduces your warranty from consumer to commercial. Otherwise, others have said a good price in south Florida is around $5350 to $5500 that I would assume would be cash and not credit card or financing. So without the promotion and using a credit care, I think $5500 is about right, albeit most dealers are asking around $5900, and suggested retail is $6600. From my experience, Kubota will not budge. Lastly, Kubota has no customer service phone number or online support to speak of while Gravely has all sorts of online tech support articles and accessories as well as tech people you can speak to. I tried calling Kubota about a technical question and was told to contact the dealer. Also, I was told by a couple of people that Kubota parts are more expensive.

I think you are gonna be very pleased with your Pro-Turn....and welcome to the growing Gravely clan on the forum!!! I think your dealer gave you a fair price on it and I think what you are talking about is the 1 Day Fleet Sale that is on April 4th. I got a card from my dealer, but is specifically states "Commercial Cutters Only" so I don't think we homeowners would be eligible for the 20% off on any Commercial Gravely. My dealer's regular price for the 48" ZT HD is $4,999 and for the 48" Pro-Turn is $6,099(plus tax). And you are spot on about the support for Gravely's. When I bought a trailer for mine I asked my dealer about the recommended tie-down points on the Pro-Turn 100XDZ. The marketing material specifically stated that there were "designated/reinforced" tie-down points but none of the literature(even my Owners Manual) showed them. My dealer wasn't sure either so I called technical support. The rep put me on hold, talked to one of the staff engineers and then explained to me exactly where the designated tie-down points were. I have purchased a bimini sunshade, a mulch kit and the hex striper kit from my dealer and he sold me all of them at the same price he sells them to his commercial customers for. He's saved me pretty close to $100 on those three items. I think you will find your dealer to be the same...they really do deliver service after the sale and take care of their customers!!! When you get a chance post some pictures of your new Gravely......we wanna see it!!!

Justwookin

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thanks. That is a great deal that you got. Unfortunately, my dealer is not running any such promo (that they have told me at least). I am going to look at it one more time, but I am 90% sure that I am going to go with the Gravely Pro-Turn 52". It is way more mower than what I currently need, but we would like to potentially move in the future, so why not get a mower that could easily handle a bigger yard. The Gravely definitely beats other mowers when you compare it spec vs spec for the money.

RustyBoy

Threads
Thanks. That is a great deal that you got. Unfortunately, my dealer is not running any such promo (that they have told me at least). I am going to look at it one more time, but I am 90% sure that I am going to go with the Gravely Pro-Turn 52". It is way more mower than what I currently need, but we would like to potentially move in the future, so why not get a mower that could easily handle a bigger yard. The Gravely definitely beats other mowers when you compare it spec vs spec for the money.

Maybe you could call another dealer and ask if they are having their Gravely Partner Promotion this month. If so, ask for their promo price on the mower. I have just over 1 acre to mow and the guy that's been doing our lawn has an ExMark 50". He said that if you go too large, you start having scalping issues, but at 52" and the lawn condition, you may not. Lastly, I also forgot to mention that one of the reasons I went with the Pro-Turn was that the drive tires increased to 22" from the HD's 20" tires. But caster wheels are both those units are larger than the Kubota, and from what I've been told, the larger wheels helps eliminate the tires from digging into the lawn. Best of luck in your decision.

Justwookin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe you could call another dealer and ask if they are having their Gravely Partner Promotion this month. If so, ask for their promo price on the mower. I have just over 1 acre to mow and the guy that's been doing our lawn has an ExMark 50". He said that if you go too large, you start having scalping issues, but at 52" and the lawn condition, you may not. Lastly, I also forgot to mention that one of the reasons I went with the Pro-Turn was that the drive tires increased to 22" from the HD's 20" tires. But caster wheels are both those units are larger than the Kubota, and from what I've been told, the larger wheels helps eliminate the tires from digging into the lawn. Best of luck in your decision.

Well, I made the splurge and got the Gravely Pro-Turn 52. This all started last year when I was trying to decide between the Exmark Quest and Gravely XL 48. Somehow, I ended up making several upgrades to the Pro-Turn. Funny how that works. Mine will be delivered next Friday. Just in time for mowing season to actually start here.

RustyBoy

Threads
Well, I made the splurge and got the Gravely Pro-Turn 52. This all started last year when I was trying to decide between the Exmark Quest and Gravely XL 48. Somehow, I ended up making several upgrades to the Pro-Turn. Funny how that works. Mine will be delivered next Friday. Just in time for mowing season to actually start here.

Lucky you! Mine was ordered yesterday and I believe I'll get it within 10 days to 2 weeks; just can't wait as this will be my first rider.