Buying Advice Maybe buying a new Gravely "pro turn 48"

RustyBoy

Threads
Rustyboy,

User jonesandjones has the regular Pro-Turn and I believe the suspension seat on his has the dampening isolators similar to the upgrade kit for the ZT HD. Hopefully he will respond and give you some feedback, otherwise I would suggest you send him a private message directly in case he isn't getting emails on this thread any longer. From what JJ said about the Harbor Freight jack it would do fine for changing blades, etc. I have the MoJack(the small EZ Lift model) and it also does a fine job(I used it to r & r my blades when I installed my mulch kit. I got an amazing deal on my 2012 Pro-Turn 100 XDZ(in the Fall, just before the dealer got the 2013 models in) and it has the full suspension seat(it has a VERY smooth ride). With the price increases over the last two years industry-wide I probably couldn't afford mine if I looked at a new one today(they are close to $8K.....almost $2k more than I paid OTD). Personally I think for mowing 1.5 acres(would take you maybe 45 minutes on a 48") the regular suspension seat would suffice. I hope JJ gives you the skinny on that!!! You won't regret buying a Gravely!!!!!

Thanks for your input. Yes, the brochure states that the Pro-Turn has an 'integrated suspension seat'. And I now see you have the full suspension seat, something I didn't know was available. Not sure how the suspension kit for the ZTHD compares to the Pro-Turn or your seat. All three seats look completely different. The cost of the suspension kit is $260 - the photo on the Gravely site in their accessory download section shows the kit and shows a knob that appears to adjust the two horizontal springs that fit within its frame. What is now puzzling to me is that knob - I assume the knob is to adjust the tension of the springs. I notice that you also have a knob on your seat; does the knob adjust the spring tension? Lastly, how would I send jonesandjones a PM as I don't see that choice anywhere? Thanks,

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not to be mean, but if you have tried the Gravely already, and it was too rough, what is wrong with trying other brands? As far
as brand loyalty, that is OK, but the gravelys from 40 years ago were made by Gravely, now they are basically Ariens, which in itself a premium brand, but there are a lot of other great brands out there. Demo a Scag, for example, or a Hustler, until you find a ride you like. To save you some time, don't bother demo-ing a Dixie Chopper if ride smoothness is a concern.

RustyBoy

Threads
Not to be mean, but if you have tried the Gravely already, and it was too rough, what is wrong with trying other brands? As far
as brand loyalty, that is OK, but the gravelys from 40 years ago were made by Gravely, now they are basically Ariens, which in itself a premium brand, but there are a lot of other great brands out there. Demo a Scag, for example, or a Hustler, until you find a ride you like. To save you some time, don't bother demo-ing a Dixie Chopper if ride smoothness is a concern.

I understand what you're saying and I somewhat agree. The dealers close to me are Toro, Kubota, Snapper, ExMark and Gravely - no Scag or Hustler in the area. From what I could determine, the Toro and ExMark had the least bang for the buck, albeit the ExMark is an excellent commercial brand. Not interested in Snapper so I had the Kubota and Gravely to choose from. The Gravely specs has it all over the Kubota for the same price, the main reason for Gravely. If I can't get a unit around $5K that rides somewhat comfortably, I just won't buy one. But thanks for your thoughts.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, I encounter a lot of folks that only go with one brand because Grandad had one, but lawn mowers, like Beer brands, are
now owned by a handful of companies, so the models can all be the same, but with a different paint job, and price tag.
If your gravely dealer is also an Ariens dealer, the ztrs in that bracket are likely the same, but Ariens priced a tad lower, so
ask. They are now the same company.

RustyBoy

Threads
The knob on the front of the suspension seat adjusts to the weight of the rider to increase/decrease the ride tension and works well. Gravely has a cheaper "flap type' striper kit that attaches across the back edge of the deck, but it would be on "full time". I like the hex striper because you can engage/disengage it(I probably wouldn't want to stripe my back yard). I think you would be happy with the better quality cut the mulch kit provides....I am!! Yeah, the chute storage on the deck is kinda nice(especially since it isn't needed when a mulch kit is installed). Your more than welcome for any advise I've given that you have found to be useful!!

Djdicetn,
I went to the Gravely dealer and took the Pro-Turn for a short ride. Unfortunately, the area I used it on wasn't really a lawn but an empty lot with over-grown grass and weeds; just not typical of a lawn so the ride was a bit rough but better than the HD model. But I'm seriously thinking about getting that model because of the upgraded seat from the HD model. Question: This may seem picky, but when I looked at the Pro-Turn, the front area appears elongated, especially as compared to the HD. Could it appear that way because the seat is set further back towards the engine than other brands? Also, I could just about reach the angled foot rest with the seat adjusted to the furthest point forward, assuming that's what that angled piece of metal is for. In the sales brochure, it shows a picture of a guy resting his feet on the angled piece which makes sense. Yet when I see your picture, I noticed that your feet are placed flat on the floor pan, a place I would have to place mine to be comfortable. That being said, do you have an issue compressing the pedal for adjusting the deck since you have to stretch your leg to compress the pedal against the angled piece? What do you think?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Djdicetn,
I went to the Gravely dealer and took the Pro-Turn for a short ride. Unfortunately, the area I used it on wasn't really a lawn but an empty lot with over-grown grass and weeds; just not typical of a lawn so the ride was a bit rough but better than the HD model. But I'm seriously thinking about getting that model because of the upgraded seat from the HD model. Question: This may seem picky, but when I looked at the Pro-Turn, the front area appears elongated, especially as compared to the HD. Could it appear that way because the seat is set further back towards the engine than other brands? Also, I could just about reach the angled foot rest with the seat adjusted to the furthest point forward, assuming that's what that angled piece of metal is for. In the sales brochure, it shows a picture of a guy resting his feet on the angled piece which makes sense. Yet when I see your picture, I noticed that your feet are placed flat on the floor pan, a place I would have to place mine to be comfortable. That being said, do you have an issue compressing the pedal for adjusting the deck since you have to stretch your leg to compress the pedal against the angled piece? What do you think?

Sorry....been camping with the grandkids for the last week. For many the ride is very important especially if they have back problems, etc. and I can't blame you for putting emphasis on a feature that is important to you. user Fish is correct in that Ariens bought out Gravely a few years ago but they continue to build the Gravely to the same specs and market them more towards the commercial users and focus more on homeowners with their Ariens line. They have very similar models in the Ariens line up to a certain point(maybe a slightly less heavy build but same features), but when you get into the Gravely XDZ and Pro-Ride series there isn't any Ariens models that "Commercial". BTW, my next-door-neighbor has a 35-yr-old Ariens Zoom that still cuts better than any ZTR you buy at a big box like Lowes,etc. Ariens has always been a "premium" homeowner product and they are very good machines for the money. Yeah, for a 6 footer or better guy he can put his feet on the angled rest at the top but I don't find it the least bit uncomfortable to place my feet on the floor pan. When you mention the deck adjustment....I don't no whether you can tell in my pictures or noticed, but I had polio as a child and my right leg is 1" shorter than my left and the muscle system is much smaller. A huge selling [point for me on the Gravely was the deek lift design in that it doesn't take a significant amount of leg strength to adjust it. I looked at a 60" Bad Boy Outlaw that had a massive 5 gauge deck(yeah...a 1/4 inch thick deck shell) that was sooooooo heavy that no matter how hard I tried I could not lift the deck to adjust it. I had no problem when I sat on the Gravely and adjusted it's deck.Now THAT was a big deal for me like the ride comfort is for you. But this is my first ZTR and I'm not sure about others(or commercial mowers) but I don't do any deck height adjustment while mowing...I pretty well set it and forget it. I sent a message to user joneandjones a week or so ago to ask if he would give you some feedback, but I don't know if he is still active on the forums(I've been off them myself since about last October until just recently. Kinda like user Fish said...you just need to make the dealer aware of the importance of the ride and they should find some terrain similar to your yard to let you demo their ZTR if they want to sell you on. There are a couple of brands(Hustler and Ferris are two) that sell ZTRs with "shocks" on the front suspension but in my opinion these are gimmicks and don't really add any comfort the the rider. Suspension seats are your best option for that. I'll be honest with you though...finding a Commercial quality ZTR(the seats on them are designed for guys that ride them ALL DAY LONG) for $5K is gonna be tough. I paid $6,800 OTD for my 52" Gravely and that was between $1,000 and $1,300 off the MSRP plus tax for a 2012(buying in the Fall just before the 2013's were to be delivered helped me get a good deal......plus I used my retirement savings and paid cash for it). What did you think overall when you demoed the Pro-Turn??? I think it is bout as good as you will find for the money(it is after all considered by Gravely as their "entry-level" Commercial ZTR). To get into a Commercial-oriented ZTR you almost have to spend $6k-$8K. That's not saying that if look aty some others you may find one with a ride to your expectations for closer to $5K. You say there is a Toro dealer nearby... take a look at the Titan MX series(I think the 48" is Model#MX4880). They have a suspension seat described as having "3-D Isolation" and even though I didn't demo one I almost pulled the trigger on a Toro Z-Master Commercial 2000 Series which is another you may want to look at. They are up into the $6K range though. I hope I have helped some and I sure hope you find the ZTR that's just right for you!!!

RustyBoy

Threads
Sorry....been camping with the grandkids for the last week. For many the ride is very important especially if they have back problems, etc. and I can't blame you for putting emphasis on a feature that is important to you. user Fish is correct in that Ariens bought out Gravely a few years ago but they continue to build the Gravely to the same specs and market them more towards the commercial users and focus more on homeowners with their Ariens line. They have very similar models in the Ariens line up to a certain point(maybe a slightly less heavy build but same features), but when you get into the Gravely XDZ and Pro-Ride series there isn't any Ariens models that "Commercial". BTW, my next-door-neighbor has a 35-yr-old Ariens Zoom that still cuts better than any ZTR you buy at a big box like Lowes,etc. Ariens has always been a "premium" homeowner product and they are very good machines for the money. Yeah, for a 6 footer or better guy he can put his feet on the angled rest at the top but I don't find it the least bit uncomfortable to place my feet on the floor pan. When you mention the deck adjustment....I don't no whether you can tell in my pictures or noticed, but I had polio as a child and my right leg is 1" shorter than my left and the muscle system is much smaller. A huge selling [point for me on the Gravely was the deek lift design in that it doesn't take a significant amount of leg strength to adjust it. I looked at a 60" Bad Boy Outlaw that had a massive 5 gauge deck(yeah...a 1/4 inch thick deck shell) that was sooooooo heavy that no matter how hard I tried I could not lift the deck to adjust it. I had no problem when I sat on the Gravely and adjusted it's deck.Now THAT was a big deal for me like the ride comfort is for you. But this is my first ZTR and I'm not sure about others(or commercial mowers) but I don't do any deck height adjustment while mowing...I pretty well set it and forget it. I sent a message to user joneandjones a week or so ago to ask if he would give you some feedback, but I don't know if he is still active on the forums(I've been off them myself since about last October until just recently. Kinda like user Fish said...you just need to make the dealer aware of the importance of the ride and they should find some terrain similar to your yard to let you demo their ZTR if they want to sell you on. There are a couple of brands(Hustler and Ferris are two) that sell ZTRs with "shocks" on the front suspension but in my opinion these are gimmicks and don't really add any comfort the the rider. Suspension seats are your best option for that. I'll be honest with you though...finding a Commercial quality ZTR(the seats on them are designed for guys that ride them ALL DAY LONG) for $5K is gonna be tough. I paid $6,800 OTD for my 52" Gravely and that was between $1,000 and $1,300 off the MSRP plus tax for a 2012(buying in the Fall just before the 2013's were to be delivered helped me get a good deal......plus I used my retirement savings and paid cash for it). What did you think overall when you demoed the Pro-Turn??? I think it is bout as good as you will find for the money(it is after all considered by Gravely as their "entry-level" Commercial ZTR). To get into a Commercial-oriented ZTR you almost have to spend $6k-$8K. That's not saying that if look aty some others you may find one with a ride to your expectations for closer to $5K. You say there is a Toro dealer nearby... take a look at the Titan MX series(I think the 48" is Model#MX4880). They have a suspension seat described as having "3-D Isolation" and even though I didn't demo one I almost pulled the trigger on a Toro Z-Master Commercial 2000 Series which is another you may want to look at. They are up into the $6K range though. I hope I have helped some and I sure hope you find the ZTR that's just right for you!!!

Thanks for your reply. The latest is that I took a second look at the 48" entry level Pro-Turn which I liked a lot because it has an upgraded seat from the HD model. After looking at it again, I decided that there was too much clearance between the front caster wheels and the deck. This distance would prohibit me from reaching straight into bushes and near corners. The reason for what I consider the excessive clearance is due to the fact that Gravely uses the same frame on the 48" deck as on the 60" deck. I also found that for me, the seat was too far back and awkward. Other than what I mentioned, I loved that model and Gravely's specs are much better than its competitors. So my choices are the HD or Kubota Kommander, and I can purchase the Gravely for $450 less than the Kommander, and that would include the optional suspension seat kit on the HD. The kit will raise the seat almost 3". The Kommander has a suspension seat but the seat is not as elevated. So I'm still undecided. The HD has 20" drive wheels while the Kommander has 22", but the HD has 13 caster wheels and the Kommander 11". But what bugged me about most about the Gravely, albeit a minor quality control issue, is with the right control arm at the point it connects with the black bracket. Over 90% of the models that use the same bracket have friction of varying degrees. One was really difficult to move, but most rub enough to wear the paint and eventually rust will occur in that area. At the moment, I'm tending toward the Kommander 48" deck, and would also like to look at the new 2014 Toro Titan ZX4800 (74851) - that should be released any day. I'm getting overdosed on ZTMs. I did find one Pro-Turn where there was no friction, an exception to the rule. So that's about it, and thanks again for your feedback. BTW, my mother had polio as a child, and as a child, they fused one ankle thinking it would help but it didn't. She also had one leg shorter than the other and had deformed feet. She had to have custom made shoes in the then shoe capitol of the world, Brockton, Massachusetts. She had a shoe last made to her feet from plaster, then a plastic type material that was used to make her shoes. Thanks again for the info.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for your reply. The latest is that I took a second look at the 48" entry level Pro-Turn which I liked a lot because it has an upgraded seat from the HD model. After looking at it again, I decided that there was too much clearance between the front caster wheels and the deck. This distance would prohibit me from reaching straight into bushes and near corners. The reason for what I consider the excessive clearance is due to the fact that Gravely uses the same frame on the 48" deck as on the 60" deck. I also found that for me, the seat was too far back and awkward. Other than what I mentioned, I loved that model and Gravely's specs are much better than its competitors. So my choices are the HD or Kubota Kommander, and I can purchase the Gravely for $450 less than the Kommander, and that would include the optional suspension seat kit on the HD. The kit will raise the seat almost 3". The Kommander has a suspension seat but the seat is not as elevated. So I'm still undecided. The HD has 20" drive wheels while the Kommander has 22", but the HD has 13 caster wheels and the Kommander 11". But what bugged me about most about the Gravely, albeit a minor quality control issue, is with the right control arm at the point it connects with the black bracket. Over 90% of the models that use the same bracket have friction of varying degrees. One was really difficult to move, but most rub enough to wear the paint and eventually rust will occur in that area. At the moment, I'm tending toward the Kommander 48" deck, and would also like to look at the new 2014 Toro Titan ZX4800 (74851) - that should be released any day. I'm getting overdosed on ZTMs. I did find one Pro-Turn where there was no friction, an exception to the rule. So that's about it, and thanks again for your feedback. BTW, my mother had polio as a child, and as a child, they fused one ankle thinking it would help but it didn't. She also had one leg shorter than the other and had deformed feet. She had to have custom made shoes in the then shoe capitol of the world, Brockton, Massachusetts. She had a shoe last made to her feet from plaster, then a plastic type material that was used to make her shoes. Thanks again for the info.

Are you trading up from a lawn tractor?? You mention mowing straight into bushes and corners. With the maneuverability of a ZTR, you will find that you will rarely if ever do that.. Instead, you will just swing sideways cutting up to the obstacle with the left side of the deck and cut around the bush or corner. These things will cut fairly close using that method with the left side of the deck. On the control arms....the arms on my Pro-Turn 100 XDZ are VERY adjustable. If any part of the lap bar is even close to rubbing on the bracket the dealer should be able to adjust that where it won't rub. The Toro Titan series is a very good Consumer ZTR and I was impressed with the near-commercial quality of the MX(the ZX looked a lot like the Timecutter big box models). Toros are also very good quality products and I encourage you to compare them before buying. I hear ya...I looked at Bad Boys, Toros, Husqvarnas, Dixons(now made by Husqvarna), John Deeres and Cub Cadets before I looked at(and fell in love with) my Gravely. All the specs and features will have your head spinning and you've gotta just go with your gut feeling on the one that best matches what you are wanting. For me, I wanted a full Commercial ZTR with a 50"-60" deck for less than $7K out-the-door and the Gravely won hands down. I too started out thinking I could get into a Commercial for $5k but soon learned that $6k was cutting it close and most that met my criteria were $7k-$8k. If your budget will allow, I think if you try to find something around $6k you will find something that will meet your expectations. Also, most on these forums will advise you to try getting a Kawasaki engine as they are the most reliable on the market. Mine has a Commercial FX691V with the dual stage canister-type air filter(very efficient and low-maintenance). You also should look for serviceable hydro trannies(on the Hydro Gear that is the ZT-3100 or higher) and at minimum a 9 gauge or 10 gauge deck shell(mine has a 7 gauge with lifetime warranty). Commercial quality spindles usually have cast iron housings(or at least heavy-duty aluminum) with 1" shafts. It took several dealers(and the Gravely mechanic) to convince me that the sealed spindle bearings were equivalent quality to ones with grease zerks but I finally got enough info to convince me. There is a LOT of stuff to consider on these machines!!!! Good luck!!

RustyBoy

Threads
Are you trading up from a lawn tractor?? You mention mowing straight into bushes and corners. With the maneuverability of a ZTR, you will find that you will rarely if ever do that.. Instead, you will just swing sideways cutting up to the obstacle with the left side of the deck and cut around the bush or corner. These things will cut fairly close using that method with the left side of the deck. On the control arms....the arms on my Pro-Turn 100 XDZ are VERY adjustable. If any part of the lap bar is even close to rubbing on the bracket the dealer should be able to adjust that where it won't rub. The Toro Titan series is a very good Consumer ZTR and I was impressed with the near-commercial quality of the MX(the ZX looked a lot like the Timecutter big box models). Toros are also very good quality products and I encourage you to compare them before buying. I hear ya...I looked at Bad Boys, Toros, Husqvarnas, Dixons(now made by Husqvarna), John Deeres and Cub Cadets before I looked at(and fell in love with) my Gravely. All the specs and features will have your head spinning and you've gotta just go with your gut feeling on the one that best matches what you are wanting. For me, I wanted a full Commercial ZTR with a 50"-60" deck for less than $7K out-the-door and the Gravely won hands down. I too started out thinking I could get into a Commercial for $5k but soon learned that $6k was cutting it close and most that met my criteria were $7k-$8k. If your budget will allow, I think if you try to find something around $6k you will find something that will meet your expectations. Also, most on these forums will advise you to try getting a Kawasaki engine as they are the most reliable on the market. Mine has a Commercial FX691V with the dual stage canister-type air filter(very efficient and low-maintenance). You also should look for serviceable hydro trannies(on the Hydro Gear that is the ZT-3100 or higher) and at minimum a 9 gauge or 10 gauge deck shell(mine has a 7 gauge with lifetime warranty). Commercial quality spindles usually have cast iron housings(or at least heavy-duty aluminum) with 1" shafts. It took several dealers(and the Gravely mechanic) to convince me that the sealed spindle bearings were equivalent quality to ones with grease zerks but I finally got enough info to convince me. There is a LOT of stuff to consider on these machines!!!! Good luck!!

No, I'm not trading up at all. Actually, this will be my first rider, probably the reason for spending an inordinate amount of time looking at so much detail. If I got the HD, I would be buying the $260 suspension seat which means that the Pro-Turn will only cost me $360 more with Gravely's upcoming April promotion. I feel the $360 is well worth it since I would be upgrading the transmission to the 3200, drive tires from 20" to 22" and better seat. Plus I would think that the longer mower would provide a better ride than the HD. So you don't think that the increased spacing (deck to front wheels) on the 48" Pro-Turn would be an issue into corners and around bushes? If you don't mind, what is the distance from the back of your caster wheels to your deck? I think I measured about 7 1/2" on the Pro-Turn's 48" deck, and about 3 1/2" for the 48" HD model.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
No, I'm not trading up at all. Actually, this will be my first rider, probably the reason for spending an inordinate amount of time looking at so much detail. If I got the HD, I would be buying the $260 suspension seat which means that the Pro-Turn will only cost me $360 more with Gravely's upcoming April promotion. I feel the $360 is well worth it since I would be upgrading the transmission to the 3200, drive tires from 20" to 22" and better seat. Plus I would think that the longer mower would provide a better ride than the HD. So you don't think that the increased spacing (deck to front wheels) on the 48" Pro-Turn would be an issue into corners and around bushes? If you don't mind, what is the distance from the back of your caster wheels to your deck? I think I measured about 7 1/2" on the Pro-Turn's 48" deck, and about 3 1/2" for the 48" HD model.

I don't have any problems maneuvering and cutting around my deck, garage, landscaping or shrubs using the left side of the deck. For a $360 difference that would be money well spent upgrading to the Pro-Turn. Now remember...my Gravely is NOT the base Pro-Turn. It is a step up into the Pro-Turn 100 XDZ(stands for Xtra-Durability ZTR) Commercial lineup. When I bought my 2012 mine was their "entry-level" Commercial ZTR. They came out with the regular Pro-Turn in 2013 as their "entry-level" Commercial series and is very similar, but has the 10 gauge deck(mine is 7 gauge), the FS series Kawa engine(mine has the FX....BTW, on Kawa engines FR=Residential, FS=Heavy Duty and FX=Commercial) the ZT-3200 trannies(mine has the ZT-3400). I believe they use the same frame because both state 78.6" length and 50" width(without chute). And the Pro-Turn has 13" front tires and 22" rear where mine has 23" rear. Mine has 9.5 gal. capacity gas tanks and the Pro-Turn has 6.0 gal. I can't tell you all the differences, but on the 48" the 100 XDZ is about 100 lbs heavier than the base Pro-Turn so there are several features that are a bit heavier-duty on the 100 XDZ to add that much weight. I measured my front tires and they are 5" from my 52" deck and the front of the tires 17" from the deck. I'm not certain I understand where you are going with that but the front fork design must be correct for each machine to ensure stability. Most likely the 7 12/2" vs 3 1/2" you noted between the Pro-Turn and HD is due to the Pro-Turn having much larger/heavier constructed fork shafts and this can add durability and maneuverability versus the HD model. As with anything...the more you pay for a model when you go up a series the better quality you get.