Looking at a new Scag 48" Liberty Z

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm looking to pull the trigger on the 48 Liberty Z w KW engine, as it checks a lot of the boxes other models haven't; however, I noticed the transmission listed for this model on their website, was a Tuff Torq TZ 450, which is odd because every other size in this model has the Hydro gear ZT 2800.

I couldn't find much infromation online about them, but after a considerabel amount of digging, I found information from the manufacturers acknowledging that this was a "sealed" transmission system, which was quite a bummer. Are you sure yours has the ZT 2800? It's possible that this change could've been made between the time you bought your mower and now?

The one I looked at today has the KW engine, which the salesman said scags will be replacing with their own engine soon (sounded like a KW engine supply problem). My point being, I guess it's possible that since this model has the "discontinued" engine in it (they don't even have the 48" KW listed on the scag website) it might also have a different trans system than what they have updated on their website?

Coming from a newbie, how might I be able to tell if the transmission is serviceable? When I asked the salesman he said it was because he saw a replaceable filter, but the Tuff Torq website acknowledges that this system has a replaceable filter but they still label it as a "sealed" unit! My heads hurting from all the confusing possibilities, but any insight would be greatly appreciated!
All the info needed is on the Scag Mower site, look at the specs. Mine is a 48" (2021) last year that has a KAW, & 2800 hydros. If you crawl under the back & look at the hydros' there will be a decal on both listing What they are.. Mine are the 2800, totally servicable.

For 2022 the Liberty 48" has made changes, see here: https://www.scag.com/product/zero-turn-riding-mowers/liberty-z/

PS What is a KW engine ?

I see they went to Briggs & their own brand engine., I'm one for getting something with good history. But that's me.

Last edited:

ledhead10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, I just realized that last years model had the 2800 hydros after browsing thru a few different owners manuals on their website, so it all makes sense now. I also discovered that the new Tuff Torq 450 hydros are also serviceable despite some contridicting evidence I saw earlier. It lays out the procedures in the manual.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, I just realized that last years model had the 2800 hydros after browsing thru a few different owners manuals on their website, so it all makes sense now. I also discovered that the new Tuff Torq 450 hydros are also serviceable despite some contridicting evidence I saw earlier. It lays out the procedures in the manual.
Looking on Scag’s website, I’m not seeing a Liberty Z 48 with a Kawasaki engine. I see a Kohler 7000 series engine and a SCAG SR series (Loncin) engine.

Lawn Addict
Threads

Yep, that's it. The 2800's have been out for quite a while. Cool about the TT 450's. They look servicable, I see a fill cap on top,. Let us know how they do after a while.. Curious..

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looking on Scag’s website, I’m not seeing a Liberty Z 48 with a Kawasaki engine. I see a Kohler 7000 series engine and a SCAG SR series (Loncin) engine.
MParr- No not in 48", last year was last for the 48 Liberty to have a Kaw. I'm glad I snagged mine when I did in May 2021.. Fresh out the crate..
Mine only has 14.1 hours on it since I bought it last year. But I still had my Toro for a while after I bought my Liberty 48"....

I'm thinking Kaw may be having trouble keeping up with demand.. But I'm surprised Scag using the Loncin engines.. But reports I've heard about those engines is they are doing ok..

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
MParr- No not in 48", last year was last for the 48 Liberty to have a Kaw. I'm glad I snagged mine when I did in May 2021.. Fresh out the crate..
Mine only has 14.1 hours on it since I bought it last year. But I still had my Toro for a while after I bought my Liberty 48"....

I'm thinking Kaw may be having trouble keeping up with demand.. But I'm surprised Scag using the Loncin engines.. But reports I've heard about those engines is they are doing ok..
You should not be surprised as the Loncin Engine is 1/3 the cost price of the B&S engine so would be 1/4 the price of the Kawakasi engine
This allows Scag to increase their profit margin while maintaining last years ticket price
Then because Loncin engine parts are not readily available more trade through the dealership for parts sales
So B & S engines for the flag waving patriots and Loncins for the cheapskates .
Kawakasi will be in trouble in a very short time.
They fell into the trap that Honda avoided trying to supply the premium grade mower engine to the factories at an unsustainably low price so they have been cutting corners and it shows with the quality of the engines
If they did not spend too much money on tooling up them they may have recouped the costs and made some inroads but it was always going to be short lived.
While China retains control of their currency they can keep it artifically low to the point that nothing on the planet can be made cheaper than in China
Because the companies are all multinational , none of the boards give a tinkers cures about any country, just about maximumizing profits so they will happily sell the USA ( or any other country ) down the drain in order to return that extra 0.01% dividend .
Real wealth is only created by making, growing & inventing .
Everything else just shifts money from one pocket to another
Australia is supposed to be in the top 10 rich countries
We have a BS unemployment figure of 3.5%
The real unemployment / underemployment figure is around 18%
The numbers for the USA are some what similar but unemployment is not as big an economic problem for the USA as your benefits are substantially lower than any other first world country on the planet .
However it does get reflected in crime figures because everyone has to eat so if their job at Amazon does not pay enough to buy food & put a roof over their heads they will get money from some where else

Ida-Boy

Threads
When I dropped off the check for my Liberty Z the dealer told me they are having trouble getting the Kawi engines due to the shortage of darn near everything.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And the war in the Ukrane will make things even worse as a lot of electronic parts came from Ukranian factories and a lot of rarish metals are mined in the Donbas region which is why Putin wants to gain control over it .