Looking at a new Scag 48" Liberty Z

BTBO

Threads
How is the lawn striping on the Liberty Z? Can you pull a 40" lawn aerator ( plugger)? If I purchased a Scag Liberty Z I would have to figure out something differently to toss fertilizer ( currently use a Agra-Fab pull spreader behind my tractor). I want to sell my tractor and just have the Scag Liberty Z
I have a LZ 48, set the deck to 4" cutting St. Augustine. I does stripe, but isn't as pronounced vs. other grass types. I've seen videos on DIY weights attached to the mower rear that aid with the striping.

BTBO

Threads
Thanks for your input, I'm really liking my LZ 48, I got in May 20 / 2021, the cut quality is superb !! only 13.5 hours at end of my mow season, & all I have ever used was 100% gas..So I just bite the bullet on that. And add a few ozs. of seafoam for last tank of gas..

You're opposite of my practices, I do my oil & filter /service at end of the season. And let her sleep.

But plan to service the hydros early about 50 hours.

Now since mine is all cleaned up, I have given it 1st Paste Wax job. & Armor-all'd the tires. But that'

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a LZ 48, set the deck to 4" cutting St. Augustine. I does stripe, but isn't as pronounced vs. other grass types. I've seen videos on DIY weights attached to the mower rear that aid with the striping.
I never was into the striping thing, we have so many trees & shrubs..

Have you checked the blade tip height, compared to the selected pin height. They are not accurate. I set mine to be spot on with my body weight aboard, for most accuracy.

Lawn Addict
Threads
LZ.png

Ida-Boy

Threads
I sealed the deal on a new Liberty Z w/52" deck and the kawi. For the first time in many many years I am excited and can't wait to cut grass with it. Call me crazy but it hasn't been delivered yet and I am already going to order the rear hitch and looking for something to lay down on the foot rest like a rubber mat or something. I went with the upgraded seat and did notice that the control levers seemed a bit close to my lap. Hope there are adjustments for that.

bkeller500

Threads
Congratulations on your purchase of the Liberty Z. It looks like a beast ( good choice). I took a good look at one last summer and almost pulled the trigger. I'm sure it will serve you well.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I sealed the deal on a new Liberty Z w/52" deck and the kawi. For the first time in many many years I am excited and can't wait to cut grass with it. Call me crazy but it hasn't been delivered yet and I am already going to order the rear hitch and looking for something to lay down on the foot rest like a rubber mat or something. I went with the upgraded seat and did notice that the control levers seemed a bit close to my lap. Hope there are adjustments for that.
CONGRATS on the new Liberty, you will love it. Mine is a 2021 w/Kaw & 48".

I bought an outside rubber door mat cheap from (home depot) & cut to fit the entire floor board, works great. Here's a couple shots of mine in back. The "Before & After".

Attachments

• BEFORE.JPG
    BEFORE.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 21
  • AFTER.JPG
    AFTER.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Ida-Boy

Threads
CONGRATS on the new Liberty, you will love it. Mine is a 2021 w/Kaw & 48".

I bought an outside rubber door mat cheap from (home depot) & cut to fit the entire floor board, works great. Here's a couple shots of mine in back. The "Before & After".
Now that looks "Tits" as they would say in the 50's. The dealer was kind enough to keep it until I can make room. Here in northwest Ohio we have lots of snow on the ground.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, Appreciate it.. Good idea to keep it at the Dealer till the snow & winter goes.. I have friends up that way & snow indeed..

ledhead10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thinking of upgrading to a Scag 48" Liberty Z. Has the Kawasaki engine & HG 2800 pumps.
And the 5 year warranty.

Love my Toro. But maybe time for a slightly bigger machine. Not a need, more of a want.

Appreciate any input.
I'm looking to pull the trigger on the 48 Liberty Z w KW engine, as it checks a lot of the boxes other models haven't; however, I noticed the transmission listed for this model on their website, was a Tuff Torq TZ 450, which is odd because every other size in this model has the Hydro gear ZT 2800.

I couldn't find much infromation online about them, but after a considerabel amount of digging, I found information from the manufacturers acknowledging that this was a "sealed" transmission system, which was quite a bummer. Are you sure yours has the ZT 2800? It's possible that this change could've been made between the time you bought your mower and now?

The one I looked at today has the KW engine, which the salesman said scags will be replacing with their own engine soon (sounded like a KW engine supply problem). My point being, I guess it's possible that since this model has the "discontinued" engine in it (they don't even have the 48" KW listed on the scag website) it might also have a different trans system than what they have updated on their website?

Coming from a newbie, how might I be able to tell if the transmission is serviceable? When I asked the salesman he said it was because he saw a replaceable filter, but the Tuff Torq website acknowledges that this system has a replaceable filter but they still label it as a "sealed" unit! My heads hurting from all the confusing possibilities, but any insight would be greatly appreciated!