Look what I just got

MowerMike

Threads
Echo SRM-225 it is

Went to the dealer open house today and there were manufacturer trailers for Echo and Stihl outside with demo tools, so I tried a few and chose the Echo SRM-225. Like y'all said it's really nicer than the Stihl homescaper trimmers like the FS 56 RC-E. It's surprisingly light and easy to handle, so I won't need a shoulder harness. I really like the thickly padded lower handle. The Echo rep advised me to get .080 line instead of the stock .095, telling me that although it would wear quicker it would do less damage to the bark on my trees or my wood fencing. He told me that since line is sold by the pound, rather than length, that the cost would be the same. I'm starting out with a one pound pack of CrossFire line in case I don't like it. He also told me that I will never need to lubricate the shaft and gearbox, and that I should never remove the grease cover or dismantle the shaft, because I'll most likely just do more damage than good. So it looks like I wasted good money on the Echo grease that I bought earlier this week. Maybe the store will take it back, since I haven't opened it.

The owner of the store rang me up with a 10% discount on the trimmer, as well as the line and a 2-pack of Echo edger blades. He took the serial number and got my info to register the trimmer with Echo and then gave it to a shop tech to gas it up and make sure it was in good running order. I'm impressed with this dealer and will definite give them my future business if they carry any products that need.

After getting home today, I used the trimmer for about 1/2 hour, and it made short work of some heavy monkey grass that need chopping down at the roots. I initially had a hard time getting it to feed more string until I figured out that you have to bump it pretty hard for it to advance it. When it tilted it to edge it stalled out, I think because the gas tank didn't have enough fuel in it and the fuel filter was not immersed in fuel. Once the fuel tank got near empty I refilled if with Trufuel, which I use in all my 2-cycle tools. One interesting side note is that the Echo PE-225 edger that I bought a week ago at Home Depot was "assembled in PRC", but the SRM-225 I bought today was "assembled in USA" I asked the Echo rep where the Echo short blocks are made, and he said they are all made in Japan, and all the higher line trimmers and edgers are assembled in the USA.

I told the rep that I was using Trufuel, and he said that in about a month from now Echo will introduce their own branded synthetic premix fuel that uses their new Red Armor oil. He said the fuel itself is the same as Trufuel, which is also the case with Stihl MotoMix. He said pricing will be comparable to Trufuel.

IMGP1486.jpgIMGP1487.jpgIMGP1488.jpgIMGP1489.jpg

Threads
Sweet! I think you made a great choice! You are amassing a good amount of Echo equipment! :thumbsup:
DSCN4193.jpg

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Echo SRM-225 it is

Went to the dealer open house today and there were manufacturer trailers for Echo and Stihl outside with demo tools, so I tried a few and chose the Echo SRM-225. Like y'all said it's really nicer than the Stihl homescaper trimmers like the FS 56 RC-E. It's surprisingly light and easy to handle, so I won't need a shoulder harness. I really like the thickly padded lower handle. The Echo rep advised me to get .080 line instead of the stock .095, telling me that although it would wear quicker it would do less damage to the bark on my trees or my wood fencing. He told me that since line is sold by the pound, rather than length, that the cost would be the same. I'm starting out with a one pound pack of CrossFire line in case I don't like it. He also told me that I will never need to lubricate the shaft and gearbox, and that I should never remove the grease cover or dismantle the shaft, because I'll most likely just do more damage than good. So it looks like I wasted good money on the Echo grease that I bought earlier this week. Maybe the store will take it back, since I haven't opened it.

I knew you would buy the Echo. I think he's feeding you a bunch of BS about the Line size though, the 095 is what you should be using in that thing, I'd read the manual about it and greasing that head becuase I never heard of a trimmer head that didn't need greasing. My SRM 210 manual says to use Echo Lube (p/n 91014) or LithumBase Grease in the gear box and drive shaft every 3 months and the same for the BRD-280 and PE-200. Read the Manual and do what it says. Don't listen to that stupid Rep.The thing is for the time it will take you to do 5 minutes you would be stupid not to. The manual also says you should use Echo 2.4mm(0.095in.)Nylon Trimmer Line not 080. Any line of 0.095 will work.

MowerMike

Threads

I knew you would buy the Echo. I think he's feeding you a bunch of BS about the Line size though, the 095 is what you should be using in that thing, I'd read the manual about it and greasing that head because I never heard of a trimmer head that didn't need greasing. My SRM 210 manual says to use Echo Lube (p/n 91014) or LithumBase Grease in the gear box and drive shaft every 3 months and the same for the BRD-280 and PE-200. Read the Manual and do what it says. Don't listen to that stupid Rep.The thing is for the time it will take you to do 5 minutes you would be stupid not to. The manual also says you should use Echo 2.4mm(0.095in.)Nylon Trimmer Line not 080. Any line of 0.095 will work.

Thanks for the advice. I will say, however, that the manual for my SRM-225 states that you can use either .080 or .095. line, and does not indicate any preference. What my manual says regarding greasing is to inspect every 3 months and to apply every 25 hours on the drive shaft cable and every 50 hours in the gear housing. Since I will be using my trimmer far less than you do, I can probable get away with doing this service once a year.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Thanks for the advice. I will say, however, that the manual for my SRM-225 states that you can use either .080 or .095. line, and does not indicate any preference. What my manual says regarding greasing is to inspect every 3 months and to apply every 25 hours on the drive shaft cable and every 50 hours in the gear housing. Since I will be using my trimmer far less than you do, I can probable get away with doing this service once a year.

My manual states what I described in the last post for trimmer line, it doesn't give any alternate but mine is the older model, it's the SRM 210. Greasing the drive is Inspect and lube every 25 hours, The Head is Inspect and apply every 50 hours but regardless of time frame they need to be greased and I'm surprised that a Rep or sales person would tell you that you will never need to lubricate the shaft and gearbox, that's just right.

Threads

....it doesn't give any alternate but mine is the older model, it's the SRM 210.

I didn't look at mine to see if it says what MowerMike's says or not, but as you know I use the .095 trimmer line, and yes you do have to be careful around painted fences, but I would stick with the thickness I have! :thumbsup:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I didn't look at mine to see if it says what MowerMike's says or not, but as you know I use the .095 trimmer line, and yes you do have to be careful around painted fences, but I would stick with the thickness I have! :thumbsup:

The thing with different size line is you can use the 095 and when you get to your obsticle throttle down you don't need to be full throttle around trees or fences with any size line ever I've seen a 100 foot pine tree die from weed eater ringing. Also I know of a fence that is about to fall over every single one of the posts look like a beaver has been munching on them

Threads
The thing with different size line is you can use the 095 and when you get to your obsticle throttle down you don't need to be full throttle around trees or fences with any size line ever....

Yeah good point! :thumbsup: