Look what I just got

MowerMike

Threads
To begin with whether it's a good deal or not depends on the type and size, Oregon makes at least 4 different type of line. Nylium starline, Gator Line, Magnum and Platinum Gator line. As far as it being a good deal No it's not a particularly good deal. I can buy the gator line at the dealers for like $25.00 for a 3lb spool depending on the size and type you buy. I can tell you you can buy the Stihl X-line 5lb (1837') .095 a lot cheaper than Oregon it's only 43.95 for a 5lb spool.

Well, it's the Magnum line but they've just jacked the price up to $37, so it's no longer a good deal anyway. As to buying a 5 lb (1837') spool, I'll be long dead and buried before I use that much string.

Parkmower

Threads
We use echo or Stihl line. Usually around $40 a 5lb spool. Go thru two spools a year. We have 3-4 people trimming at least 3 days a week. All use Stihl fs55. IMO they're pretty darn tuff after seeing what the kids put them thru. Few guys even bought them for home after seeing the lickin they take and keep on ticking.

MowerMike

Threads
We use echo or Stihl line. Usually around $40 a 5lb spool. Go thru two spools a year. We have 3-4 people trimming at least 3 days a week. All use Stihl fs55. IMO they're pretty darn tuff after seeing what the kids put them thru. Few guys even bought them for home after seeing the lickin they take and keep on ticking.

So, are you familiar with the Stihl FS 56 RC-E trimmer ? Supposedly it has a bit more power and an easier start engine. How easy is it to reload line into the head ? Do you have to rewind spools or do you just feed line from the outside like the speed-feed head on the Echo ?

Parkmower

Threads
I know nothing of the fs56. To reload the heads we use you take off the spool and hand wind. It easily holds 5-6 arm spans of line. And I never thought the fs55 was under powered. Actually thought it had quite good power.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, it's the Magnum line but they've just jacked the price up to $37, so it's no longer a good deal anyway. As to buying a 5 lb (1837') spool, I'll be long dead and buried before I use that much string.

If you're not using the equipment that much, you're right it will last you a while. We run a 90 and 110 and use a spool and then some every year and with the price you can't beat the stuff. You can get it in a 3lb spool if you like, it comes in all variations or packaging like the rest.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Echo SRM-225 or Stihl FS 56 RC-E ?

Well, the open house this Friday at the Stihl and Echo dealer is going to offer big discounts on both brands, and I'm trying to decide between the Echo SRM-225 and Stihl FS 56 RC-E straight shaft trimmers. They both have a DSRP of $229.99, so the discounted prices will probably be the same also. I like the Speed-Feed trimmer head on the Echo and it has the same easy starting low vibration engine as the Echo PE-225 I just bought, but would like to compare it with the Stihl, which has a larger displacement engine and a semi-automatic choke for easier starting. Anyway, thought I'd ask to see what y'all think.

I wouldn't look for the discounts to be the same between the Echos and the Stihl I hope for you they are but my dealer tells me that the Stihl stuff doesn't have the mark up that the echo units have so they don't have near as much money to play with, now whether that will have any effect on there sale prices I couldn't say. As far as a comparison between the SRM-225 and the Stihl 56 RC-E That's going to be hard to compare. The Echo is a Commercial unit and the Stihl is a HomeScraper Series, Occasional use or Residential unit. I use to run the SRM 210 for two years which is now the Echo SRM -225 and although it has the 21.2 cc engine it will blow that 27.2 Residential Stihl away.

MowerMike

Threads

I wouldn't look for the discounts to be the same between the Echos and the Stihl I hope for you they are but my dealer tells me that the Stihl stuff doesn't have the mark up that the echo units have so they don't have near as much money to play with, now whether that will have any effect on there sale prices I couldn't say. As far as a comparison between the SRM-225 and the Stihl 56 RC-E That's going to be hard to compare. The Echo is a Commercial unit and the Stihl is a HomeScraper Series, Occasional use or Residential unit. I use to run the SRM 210 for two years which is now the Echo SRM -225 and although it has the 21.2 cc engine it will blow that 27.2 Residential Stihl away.

In what respect do you mean that the Echo engine will blow the Stihl engine away ? Power, durability, reliability, fuel economy, noise levels etc. ? Also, I'm residential and Echo offers a 5 year warranty, whereas Stihl is only 2 years unless you use their premium synthetic oil in which case they double it. Also, is there any difference in the ruggedness of other parts like the gears and drive shaft ? I must say I'm completely satisfied with my Echo PE-225 edger that uses the same exact engine as the SRM-225, so I wouldn't get the Stihl unless it was somehow better than the Echo. I've also had an Echo PB-250LN for nearly a year now and it's been completely problem free and very easy to start.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

In what respect do you mean that the Echo engine will blow the Stihl engine away ? Power, durability, reliability, fuel economy, noise levels etc. ? Also, I'm residential and Echo offers a 5 year warranty, whereas Stihl is only 2 years unless you use their premium synthetic oil in which case they double it. Also, is there any difference in the ruggedness of other parts like the gears and drive shaft ? I must say I'm completely satisfied with my Echo PE-225 edger that uses the same exact engine as the SRM-225, so I wouldn't get the Stihl unless it was somehow better than the Echo. I've also had an Echo PB-250LN for nearly a year now and it's been completely problem free and very easy to start.

The first thing you need to remember is that Echo's claims are that all there equipment is Commercial Grade and has a 2 year warranty same as Stihl and Echo offers there 5 year to the residential operator because it is a commercial grade equipment. With respect to the Echo it will be head and shoulders above the Stihl unit in every way that you ask, Power, durability, reliability, and all the rest you asked about. If you want to run a comparison at that sale, Pick up the FS 56 RC-E and start it and run it (it"s Residential)then pick up a Stihl FS 70 R run it and feel the difference(it's commercial) both have a 27.2 cc engine. Then compare it to the 21.2cc SRM-225 and tell me your opinion. I'd be willing to say you'll buy the Echo. After you do your comparison walk back to the Stihls and pick up an FS-90 or 110R and run it and tell me what you think.
The thing is MM you need to buy what you think is the best and what you're going to be happy with :smile: Everyone Has there opinion on what's the best and what's trash. Run the Comparison like I said and decide for yourself and you'll be happy. IMO if it's not a 4mix unit it's not worth bringing home but that's just me.

MowerMike

Threads

If you want to run a comparison at that sale, Pick up the FS 56 RC-E and start it and run it (it"s Residential)then pick up a Stihl FS 70 R run it and feel the difference(it's commercial) both have a 27.2 cc engine. Then compare it to the 21.2cc SRM-225 and tell me your opinion. I'd be willing to say you'll buy the Echo. After you do your comparison walk back to the Stihls and pick up an FS-90 or 110R and run it and tell me what you think.

Hopefully they'll have demo models of all of these so that I can test drive them. I went to the Stihl website and find it interesting that they claim the same 10.6 lb weight for both the FS 56 RC-E and the FS 70 R. I'm sure that the heavier FS 90 R and FS 110 R would be total overkill for my needs. Since I've had no issues with my PE-225, and it starts easily, runs smoothly with no vibration, is very easy to operate, is comfortable, doesn't guzzle gas, is quiet enough at full throttle that I don't need ear protection, and everything on it seems sturdy enough I will probably just get the SRM-225, but I figured that I would check out the Stihls anyway while I was there. As to discounts, I guess I'll find out, but I was told that on the Echo it would be about 15%.

Threads

Yeah if I was in your position I would buy the Echo SRM-225. I have been REALLY satisfied with mine! :thumbsup: