Lawn Mower Problems related?

gbsk

Threads
Thanks for the feedback. I tried getting the cord back on this way. However, I could not navigate pushing the rope through the hole until it entered the inside of the pulley. I could not go beyond the right angle even using an awl pushing it through. I could not even do it with the pulley out of the cover. I finally fed it through the opposite way through the inside of the pulley until it got to the outside of the pulley and just left a couple of inches so I could fish it out after I wound the spring. The spring and cord are wound on the pulley. The cord will recoil when I pull it off the engine.

However, I am back to my original problem. Taking the spring and rope out of the cover and cleaning it did not work. Before the cord would not pull when it was on the shaft. Now it will not recoil when on the shaft. It recoils fine off the shaft. The shaft is turning very easy. I think it is related to the shaft or something driving the shaft. What would be the next step?

Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you check the starter clutch (ratchet) you should be able to turn it with two fingers in one direction and not the other, if you can't service it or replace it, thats the only thing left to do.

chance123

Threads
You can very easily service these starter clutches. Get a 1/4 inch nut driver and remove the 2 small fasteners. Lift the cover off the clutch and you will see 3 or 4 ball bearings.Remove the square ratchet and the bearings. Clean the shaft, bearings, and everything else. DO NOT LUBRICATE! (a tad bit of grease on the shaft only is OK) This only attracts dirt. Reassemble in reverse order. For a quick fix to get you through a job would be to spray some oil into the small hole at the end of the square ratchet. You will probably hear a loud squeel sound later on down the road unless you do the full service as explained above.

gbsk

Threads
I'm making progress. The ball bearings in the ratchet part were not where they were supposed to be. The rope pulls just fine on the mower. The problem now is that it simply will not start. I thought I would get a new spark plug since it looks old. How do I change the oil in this? I cannot seem to find the hole for the dipstick unless I have to take some parts off. Should I do anything else?

Thanks for all your help,
GB

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a look under it......:thumbsup:

gbsk

Threads
Sorry but I guess I am dense. Under "it", do you mean the mower, shroud or something else. I think I can drain the oil under the mower but I am also looking to put some oil in the mower. I did check to see if I was getting a spark by taking it out of the socket and putting the plug near the engine metal and I did get a spark. Is there another reason why it will not start?

Thanks,
GB

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can't see a drain valve around the engine have a look under the deck there should be one there.
If you have spark make sure you have fuel to the carb, clean the out if needs be.

gbsk

Threads
I got the carburetor and air filter and diaphragm all cleaned out.and put back together. One thing I noticed is a band ( I don't know the name) around part of the flywheel. It is an arc about 1/5 aroudn the flywheel. It attached to a pin and the other end looks like it attacheds to a pin. I think it may not attach to the other pin because it may not be long enough or if i do get it on, it may be took close to the flywheel on rub on it. Should I put it on the other pin? There is another "arc" on the flywheel that pivots on a screw and the other end attaches to the spring on the carburetor.

Thanks,
GB

Sorry but I guess I am dense. Under "it", do you mean the mower, shroud or something else. I think I can drain the oil under the mower but I am also looking to put some oil in the mower. I did check to see if I was getting a spark by taking it out of the socket and putting the plug near the engine metal and I did get a spark. Is there another reason why it will not start?

Thanks,
GB

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Please read this

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    87 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 1

gbsk

Threads
Stupid me. All I had ot do was press the brake bar down and put the brake band on. I got it all put together. However, when I put the bolt with the one inch spacer on, I turned it 2 or 3 times with a ratchet socket and not that hard and I heard a pop. now the bolt will not tighten. What should I do? I did try to start it 30 times or so and it "coughed" a tad but would not start. I saw a video about adjusting the points. Is that the next step or something else? I know the carburetor is clean.

Thanks
GB

Please read this