Lawn Mower Problems related?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just now turned the shaft with pliers without the spark plug and it turned fine. I did not want to put the top back on in case I have to take it off again and work on it.

Lets just get this right, you can turn the engine over with the top off (recoil) with a pair of pliers on the shaft, and it turns ok,
When you put back on the lid (recoil) back on, you can't pull the engine over. are we on the right path here...?

gbsk

Threads
Lets just get this right, you can turn the engine over with the top off (recoil) with a pair of pliers on the shaft, and it turns ok,
When you put back on the lid (recoil) back on, you can't pull the engine over. are we on the right path here...?

I just put the top back on. Before I did that, I checked the cord and it recoiled very easy. The shaft turned with the pliers. However, when the shaft goes inthe recoil area with the top on, it will not pull. I even had my son stand on the front of the mower so it would not lift up and the cord would not pull. Weird.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there anyway you can take photos, one of the underside of the lid (the bit with the pull cord) and one of the the top of the engine (the bit that as the shaft on) manual that I have on the 310701 is only showing them fitted with electic start. if I had a photo of the one you have I could lookup in other manual's that should help out here.

gbsk

Threads
Here is the photo with the underside of the cord pull on the left and the shaft with flywheel on the right. I hope this is what you need.

Thanks

Attachments

• P7080216.jpg
    P7080216.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 22

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes its much better with a photo, right take out the spark plug, now can you turn engine over easily by the flywheel clockwise by hand.
If not look at the brake band, is it still on with you, check the cable, linkage(s)
(Starter Clutch) The shaft, it works like a ratchet, you should be able to turn it anticlockwise, and by turning it clockwise it should dogin (hold) if not you can take them apart...! by removing the retainer cover from the housing, inside you will see a ball, make sure that it can move freely.
I would say that the brake is still on with you, and thats why you can't turn it to start.

Please look at the photo I have mark it for you....!

Attachments

• P7080216.jpg
    P7080216.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 14

gbsk

Threads
Thanks for your reply. I think I looked at the things you mentioned. I looked at the brake band and it is on the flywheel but do I need to do anything to it? It just looks like a plastic piece but I did not see a linkage with it.

Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I looked at the brake band and it is on the flywheel but do I need to do anything to it?

Question is, does it work when you pull the lever, when pulled brake band will come away from flywheel (make it free to turn)

When you say the plastic piece, I believe you are talking about the air vane (to the bottom of flywheel in photo) for the governor and is not the brake band.

Linkage for the brake band is under the black cover top right of photo, you can also see the cable above oil plug.

Make sure that the brake band is free from flywheel when in start position.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

gbsk

Threads
I see what you are talking about now. I was looking at the air vane. The brake band is away from the flywheel when I pull down the lever. As soon as I put the cover on top, it willnot pull. Could the cover be pushing the brake band against the flywheel? The cover is very tight to put back on.

Thanks for your help

GB

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is something wrong with the pull start, look at the photo red arrow can you see the bottom left side it seems to be damage, can you have a better look at that, like you say it doesn't seem to work when you put pull start cover back on.

Attachments

• pullstart.jpg
    pullstart.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 15

gbsk

Threads
As far as I can tell, it is just the spring underneath the white holder for the cord. I do not see any damage.