Lawn Mower Problems related?

gbsk

Threads
I have had a lawn mower for about 10 years and it has served me well. It is a B & S engine with 3.5 HP and 20 ". Ace is the manufacturer. Two years ago, I tried to prime it and the "balloon" did not seem to have much backpressure. I bought a new diaphragm and it worked well after I installed it. This year it takes many pulls on the cord to start it. I cut the grass today and the mower ran out of gas. I refilled the tank and pull the cord to start it but it would not pull at all. I lifted the mower up and moved the blade and the cord was still stuck or not pulling. How can I fix this?

Thanks
GB

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You don't say what type the engine is (model)..! you need to take off the cover, the bit with the pull cord on, after that it may just pop back in (cord/rope) they sometimes do, try that first and if it doesn't come back with a model number which will help us on here to help you.

gbsk

Threads
You don't say what type the engine is (model)..! you need to take off the cover, the bit with the pull cord on, after that it may just pop back in (cord/rope) they sometimes do, try that first and if it doesn't come back with a model number which will help us on here to help you.

Thanks for the reply. I did take the cover off. The cord pulled fine with it off. The shaft the cord mechanism hooks onto turns fine counterclockwise but does not turn at all clockwise or the direction the cord pulls. The Model # is 95902; Type 3107 01 Code 93031605. I also cleaned off the spark plug before trying to start it the other day.

Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you put it back to see if all is working now...?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I cut the grass today and the mower ran out of gas.

I assume the engine cut out? And you thought that the mower must have ran out of fuel.

Maybe the engine has stopped because the engine is siezed due to lack of quantity and quality of oil?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you tried cranking the engine over without the spark plug in. Without the plug it should relieve the pressure, if you can't crank the engine without the plug I agree with pugaltitude it sounds like the engine is seized.

gbsk

Threads
I assume the engine cut out? And you thought that the mower must have ran out of fuel.

Maybe the engine has stopped because the engine is siezed due to lack of quantity and quality of oil?

It takes about 2 tanks of gas to do the lawn. I was halfway through and it was bone dry.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take the top cover back off that has the recoil connected to it.

Try and turn the big nut on top of the engine with the plug out.

Does it turn easily?

If not then engine could be siezed.

You have done well considering its a 1993 engine!!

gbsk

Threads
Have you tried cranking the engine over without the spark plug in. Without the plug it should relieve the pressure, if you can't crank the engine without the plug I agree with pugaltitude it sounds like the engine is seized.

I just now turned the shaft with pliers without the spark plug and it turned fine. I did not want to put the top back on in case I have to take it off again and work on it.

Thanks
GB