Kubota 326Z Diesel engine going out

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't pull a line completely off an injector. CRACK open the line at one injector (not the injection pump) slightly, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. Keep the two wrenches on or a close to the injector as you can. Crank the engine until you see fuel begin to leak our of the fitting on the injector. The engine may start to 'hit', running on that cylinder. Tighten the nut on the injector as soon as you see fuel or the engine starts to run. Repeat this process on another cylinder. It will probably start and run now, but rough. Speed the engine up and the last injector will probably bleed itself. If not, bleed the 3rd injector.

FWIW, all old mechanical injected diesels start with the 'rack' in the fully open position. It makes no difference where you set the throttle, the engine will be receiving fuel at the maximum rate when cranking. You can hear the engine rev when it starts until the governor pulls the rack back to idle.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
He has been working on this thing fo a while. The reason i said to put it at full throttle is to be sure the rack is in the full open position and i said to remove the line to see if any fuel comes out. You are correct if everything is working properly. What you say to do was suggested 2 pages ago on this thread and he said it didn't work. Does it have broken springs in the injector pump or a bad shutoff solenoid possibly or stuck govenor linkage? Most of the little kubotas with electric lift pumps will fire up and purge the injector lines by themselves once you get fuel up to the injector pump.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
He has been working on this thing fo a while. The reason i said to put it at full throttle is to be sure the rack is in the full open position and i said to remove the line to see if any fuel comes out. You are correct if everything is working properly. What you say to do was suggested 2 pages ago on this thread and he said it didn't work. Does it have broken springs in the injector pump or a bad shutoff solenoid possibly or stuck govenor linkage? Most of the little kubotas with electric lift pumps will fire up and purge the injector lines by themselves once you get fuel up to the injector pump.
I realize that he was told how to do it, but there is no evidence that he ever did follow those directions correctly. I see posts on page 2 in which he says it was running, but he saw on here that there is a second filter so he replaced it and it wouldn't start, so he cracked two lines (and by doing that, admitted air into the system), loosened the injectors (again) and sprayed some diesel fuel in the intake.

Those two posts are before and after your post of Oct 10 in which you posted a video of how to prime a diesel engine.

Since it was running prior to replacing filter #2, it's doubtful that there's anything wrong with the injection pump.

But even when he gets it re-primed and running, I'm going to guess that the original problem will still be there, because smoking and misfiring aren't the symptoms of clogged fuel filters. No smoke and loss of power are.

Lebanon is about 25 miles east of Nashville and there are diesel shops in Nashville. Here's one: http://dieselsalesandservice.com/ If they don't test or work on Kubota injectors, they probably know of a shop that does.

Fatdaddy

Threads
Ok, mower still will not start.. I disconnect the hose from gas filters to the injectors. Turn the key on and the pump makes a hum noise. Diesel comes out of rubber hose fast.. I loosen open 3 turns of my top 3 injectors put my hand over the exhaust turn on the key nothing comes out of injectors..
I spray Diesel into the exhaust. I spray starter fluid no turn over any kind..
Guys I have tried every thing I CAN think of.. People have told me try this and nothing works...

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Stop while you're ahead before you break something.

Call a Kubota dealer and have them come out and get it started for you.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
When & if you change fuel filters on a Diesel Engine fill filters with diesel fuel or if they have a primer hand pump put filter on dry & use hand pump to fill filter. This procedure of filling filters with diesel fuel first saves time & headaches, also keeps air from entering fuel system. You may still have to crack injector lines to bleed air from system while someone is in drivers seat is cranking engine.

Fatdaddy

Threads
I have done all that bleed the lines.. I just took off the injector pump and the solenoid pump.. Im taking the injector pump to Taylor Diesel in Nashville tomorrow.. They will test it if ok give it back no charge. If they rebuild it it will cost me $525.. I have had this mower 14 years even if its ok I'm going to have them rebuild it. All this work getting it off i'm getting this mower back going one way or the other.. I bought a new solenoid pump for $44 off ebay.. we will see.. I'M 65 just retired steel mill 38 years got more money I saved, retirement buy out.. I can spend a little money take my time to get this thing going.. Gives me something to piddle with all I been doing is messing with this and playing golf... Gives me something to do mess with this..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201105-205001_Textra[2305843009213861517].jpg
    Screenshot_20201105-205001_Textra[2305843009213861517].jpg
    733.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Fatdaddy

Threads
Ok so I go to Taylor Diesel man look at my pump and says see these bottom rollers, they are stuck all a stuck.. He tells me you must have got some bad diesel got grit in it. That will stick them, you need to flush out your diesel put in some new.. I tell him about my mower running real bad white smoke.. He tells me a bad injector will cause this to happen you got bad pump chances you have bad injectors. I would bring them in we test them.. $80 we will rebuild them... Ok so I drive back 32 miles take off injectors which is a job.. On of the rings which holds them broke off see picture... Guy tells me have to go Kubota place order one...I did order one for $28..
See all this started was it was running bad smokeing I took to Kubota. They tell me I need a new engine and radiator $6,000.. Hmm 6 grand now Im thinking the oil is checking good it running.. Might just be something else I get home change 1 gas filter starts fine I change the other and now It will NOT START.. I get on here for advice and thanks for all the advice I did do what was told but still no go.. I ask around town for a diesel mechanic nothing, put a ad on craigs list.. So stopped at 1 place a body shop.. Guy tells me you need to go to machine shop around the corner see Ray... He knows diesels has a kubota he works on them... I go see RAY tell him swear he comes to my house does all his looking turning nuts.. He tells me I THINK injector pump you take to Taylors...
I love this guy I gave him a $100 bill.. He puts it back together I will give him another $100.... I even have a Massey 165 diesel with a bent fender he tells me a place to call.

Fatdaddy

Threads
2 of the injectors were BAD.. One had rust around the bottom. He said water must have got in your diesel.. He said this will cause your mower to give white smoke and not run right..... We will see

Attachments

• Resized_20201107_085326[269].jpeg
    Resized_20201107_085326[269].jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 10

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Be sure to use wire brush to clean old carbon deposits inside injector ports especially bottom end. Before installing new injectors squirt plenty of oil on "o" rings on new injectors. After installing injector I would seat injector with a ball peen hammer & a piece of 2x4. Lastly run overhead adjusting valves & injectors per Kubota specs. in engine manual.

Last edited: