Kubota 326Z Diesel engine going out

Fatdaddy

Threads
I had it rebuilt 2 years ago now its like missing smoking big time.. The OIL checks fine right level.. I took to my local shop they tell me it needs a NEW ENGINIE.
They don't do rebuilds only put in new engine. I start it and it runs just like missing a bad plug.. I hve moved and nobody here to do my rebuilds this is a 2011 model.. Is it time for me to give up fixing it get me a new one.. I put $4,000 in my last rebuild... Just thinking again what will it take to fix this one.. I have a pic video but the sound will not come on.. Now it always starts and will always run till you cut it off it just MISSES and smokes... Whats your way of thinking on this matter. Tks very much on what I need to do.. video is to big

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you saying it starts and runs fine until you try to shut the engine off? If so check the shutoff solenoid in the injector pump.

Fatdaddy

Threads
it don't run fine it really misses like only 2 injectors really missing...

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can do a cylinder leakdown test to see what the condition the valves and rings are in. If a leakdown test doesn't show a problem the look at the fuel lift pump and the injector pump. Most Kubotas have 2 fuel filters. Have you changed them? It will either have an electric or mechanical lift pump. A clogged fuel filter or failing lift pump can cause poor running engine. A bad injector or bad injector pump can cause poor running and black smoke. Did the shop tell you why you need a new engine? What diagnostics did they run? A lot of shops don't have the tools or knowledge to work on diesels but they have the tool to swap out engines. Before you drop thousands on a new engine get a $50 leakdown tester and adapter to fit the injector hole and do a leakdown test. Kubotas have 8mm or 10mm threads for the injectors.

You can also do a compression test.
Lots of vids on utube showing how.

Last edited:

Fatdaddy

Threads
I though it was running like bad fuel or had gas.. I drained the tank and put in a NEW Fuel filter thinking this was my fix. But it was not did the same way after it.. Thanks for the advice I will get that done..

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
First thing I would have checked are the injectors. Missing and smoke sounds like bad injectors.

Fatdaddy

Threads
What if I just put in NEW INJECTORS?? I did YOU TUBE them found how to clean and change on cars.. How much is a injectors? I thought what the heck just put new ones in.. How expensive is it? I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer on fixing stuff.. I can hold my own and give it a try....

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depending on the engine a set of injectors will be $100-$200. Diesel injectors are a completely different animal from automotive injectors. You won't be able to clean or test them. If you do cange injectors don't adjust or change anything on the injector pump. You won't help anything.

Fatdaddy

Threads
So I just buy new ones and put them in. ought to be able to do that...

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You will need to do an air purge. After you put them in put the lines on but leave fitting loose and crank engine till fuel comes out around fitting then tighten the line on the injector.