KT746 Locked up

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
FWIW, predators have dual ball bearings.

Funny you should mention Predator. HF doesn't have a listing for a vertical shaft twin. I've search their sight like 3 times and all I get is a "Page not found" or a page full of horizontal engines.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank Bert. The accent sound better in person. Trying to read it, I think I get it.
Much work, with 1 & 5 chance for a successful outcome. Not very good odds. Especially with all the work that needs to go into it putting everything back together, and hooking it all back up.

If I do anything. I doubt it'll be with the crank itself. As I see no way of any sanding evenly. So only the block.

I'm curious about one thing in particular. This is a solid steel crank rotating at a high RPM on an aluminum housing. Hardened aluminum, I suppose. That's amazes me.

BTW, the engines getting cheaper while the costs increase. That's not normally the American way.
Do as little to the case as possible
The acid / alkali will eat off all of the built up aluminium on the steel which as mentioned will need just a tiny polish
The aluminium is a lot softer which is why it can be used as a bearing surface .
Oddly enough push mower engines are usually fine because the crank does not have belts dragging it to the back
So it is profitable ( sort of ) to fix a seized push mower engine but not worthwhile on a ride on engine that is 10 times the price.
Where I got caught out was I forgot to allow for the increased clearance when the cases got to full temperature
So the engine ran fine on the bench and fine when tested for a few minutes around the yard but failed when the customer started using them for an hour.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The acid / alkali will eat off all of the built up aluminium on the steel which as mentioned will need just a tiny polish
The aluminium is a lot softer which is why it can be used as a bearing surface .
Oddly enough push mower engines are usually fine because the crank does not have belts dragging it to the back
So it is profitable ( sort of ) to fix a seized push mower engine but not worthwhile on a ride on engine that is 10 times the price.
Where I got caught out was I forgot to allow for the increased clearance when the cases got to full temperature
So the engine ran fine on the bench and fine when tested for a few minutes around the yard but failed when the customer started using them for an hour.

Oh crap. So there's aluminum built up around the crank. I see it now. It's the dull finish, where as the steel is still shiny. Wouldn't muriatic acid remove that?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Funny you should mention Predator. HF doesn't have a listing for a vertical shaft twin. I've search their sight like 3 times and all I get is a "Page not found" or a page full of horizontal engines.
They did sell them last year but they are no longer available. They were actually rebadged Loncin LC2P77F engines with gross hp rating of 22 hp. More like 17/18 net hp engine.
I thought your last day of posting was Oct. 25th of last year.
Actually I said Nov 1, 2021 so I am just mopping up some my threads that I was working on before Nov 1 but I had already stopped replying to new threads. All the mis-information on this forum is just an aggravation than I need right now. I have enough problems running my business right now. I have already removed the forum from my bookmarks and I am deleting the Firefox generated auto log password today to prevent myself from logging on anymore plus adding lawnmowerforum.com to my untrusted scripts in NoScript so FF will not even run the script without me manually overriding it.

I am just go stay on the OEM provided forums as they are a lot more professional and knowledgeable.

A note to PT; you need to see if you attend a technical training school over the winter to gain some basic knowledge of how these engines work overall as it seems that would be a time worth investment in your training for future repairs. I believe it will be of benefit to you to do so. You are willing to do the work, it just you lack some of the basics to build on. Good luck on your endeavors. I have spent 50+ yrs learning these repairs and still learn new things from time to time.

As of today I am fully retiring from this forum. No more mopping up.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
They did sell them last year but they are no longer available. They were actually rebadged Loncin LC2P77F engines with gross hp rating of 22 hp. More like 17/18 net hp engine.

Actually I said Nov 1, 2021 so I am just mopping up some my threads that I was working on before Nov 1 but I had already stopped replying to new threads. All the mis-information on this forum is just an aggravation than I need right now. I have enough problems running my business right now. I have already removed the forum from my bookmarks and I am deleting the Firefox generated auto log password today to prevent myself from logging on anymore plus adding lawnmowerforum.com to my untrusted scripts in NoScript so FF will not even run the script without me manually overriding it.

I am just go stay on the OEM provided forums as they are a lot more professional and knowledgeable.

A note to PT; you need to see if you attend a technical training school over the winter to gain some basic knowledge of how these engines work overall as it seems that would be a time worth investment in your training for future repairs. I believe it will be of benefit to you to do so. You are willing to do the work, it just you lack some of the basics to build on. Good luck on your endeavors. I have spent 50+ yrs learning these repairs and still learn new things from time to time.

As of today I am fully retiring from this forum. No more mopping up.

You're going to miss us when you're gone.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

I think I got that done. And decided to just use the rider part for moving stuff from the front to back. Maybe check my mail. I'll definitely need it come spring. I asked my back and my knee about this, and they approved. LOL.

The crank looks good. It fit snug into the block. Had to tap it a little with a rubber mallet to get it all the way in. Now it's just putting things back together.
Turning the crank, I can do by hand. There was a little play in the side to side. But it wasn't loose play, if you know what I mean.

Well see when I get the oil seals. Looks like there's no seal on the sump.

Can these head gaskets be reused, like you can some Briggs?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
are you sure of the model, Kohler plus isn't showing a KT746....?