KT746 Locked up

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
KT746-3011
BD: 08/02/2015
Feeling pretty good today, so I thought I'd check out why this Kohler was locked up.

It's impossible to turn from the engine fan. Put a big pair of channel locks on the crank (the rusty part, just below the crank seal) and gave it a tug in both directions, and it still wouldn't budge.

So removed the engine and the sump, and can't see any scaring on the bottom of the cylinders. No discoloration, as if it got hot.
I do know the owner told me he ran it without oil, so I'm guessing the damage is going to be on the top side of the cylinder.

I'm about to remove the heads.

It's kind of fun feeling good enough to pick up an engine and put it on the work bench. I'll probably regret it in the morning. LOL

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
There's no broken rods.

I got one of the heads off, and it's got quite of bit of carbon build up, but the top of the cylinder looks ok. I had to get the 1" impact to get 2 of the head bolts out.
The other side, that's a different story. I have a bad feeling that 3 of the valve cover bolts are going to break off. The impact won't budge'm. So I put a 1/4 ratchet on it and it's bending the torques-bit teeth. I tried tightening, but they won't budge that way either.
I'm a little scared to try to heat them and let'm cool.
I darn sure don't want these valve cover bolts to break off.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Better luck today. I got two more of the 3 remaining valve cover bolts out. The 3rd one wollered out the torx part. So, tomorrow my only option is going to be tacking a nut on top of this one.
I'm just glad the head hasn't broken off.

Still can't rotate the crank though.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What size torx bit are they? i've gotten lucky a few times using the next size torx bit up, OR occasionally getting an Allen bit to bite...

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
What size torx bit are they? i've gotten lucky a few times using the next size torx bit up, OR occasionally getting an Allen bit to bite...

They're 30's. When it rounded out, The next size (allan head) was about all I could get in it. But that was too loose. I knew it was. but gave it a shot. And that didn't work either.
My map gas canister is empty. But I still have a soldering torch I might throw at it.
I might try filing off two sides to fit a wrench.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I kind of made a boo boo. A friend suggested that the crank bearings should come off, before removing the heads. He said the bearings would lock up before the rings. So I took one off. (The one side that I'd removed the head from) That piston was lose. But the crank still won't turn. So trying to get my socket on the other rod bearing bolts, and it dawned on me, rod bearings have a little side to side motion if they're not locked up. Sure enough, there's some wiggle to it. Which means the bearings aren't locked up.
My boo boo came from taking the first one loose, instead of just wiggling it.

Learn learn learn.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had to get the 1" impact to get 2 of the head bolts out.
I usually just crack the bolts loose all around slightly then remove them all. Sometimes might retorque them all to get stubborn ones out. What ever works.....

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First there is no KT746 according Kohler. It is a KT745.

Apparently no else has seen this before.

You have checked only three of the four bearings directly related to crankshaft. If it is what I suspect is wrong you're going to need to short block it if the owner of the Husqvarna mower is willing to do so. $$$$. Other wise another engine. $$$.

Now with that I going back to data harvesting the forum.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
First there is no KT746 according Kohler. It is a KT745.

Apparently no else has seen this before.

You have checked only three of the four bearings directly related to crankshaft. If it is what I suspect is wrong you're going to need to short block it if the owner of the Husqvarna mower is willing to do so. $$$$. Other wise another engine. $$$.

Now with that I going back to data harvesting the forum.

It's mine now. He traded it for some work last year. And I'm just getting to it. It's a winter project.

And no, I haven't checked out all the bearing yet. Just the two crank bearings. I'm getting there.

But before you go, here's something to help make you smile.
1636068104837.png