KT746 Locked up

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
First there is no KT746 according Kohler. It is a KT745.

Apparently no else has seen this before.

You have checked only three of the four bearings directly related to crankshaft. If it is what I suspect is wrong you're going to need to short block it if the owner of the Husqvarna mower is willing to do so. $$$$. Other wise another engine. $$$.

Now with that I going back to data harvesting the forum.

And correct you are, as usual.
Ha, when I finally got the crankshaft out, I was expecting roller bearings. So it looked like everything melted. But soon realized it was just the crankshaft machined to fit the hole.
I don't understand why there's no oil journal for the top bearing? Seems that would be a better place, so the oil could get the top and the bearing below. Or even better, two journals.
In fact, there should be roller bearings with oil journals. At least you wouldn't have to replace the whole block.

Thanks for the info, man. You really are a necessity around here. Even if you do get a little snappy sometimes. LOL ??

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
First there is no KT746 according Kohler. It is a KT745.

Apparently no else has seen this before.

You have checked only three of the four bearings directly related to crankshaft. If it is what I suspect is wrong you're going to need to short block it if the owner of the Husqvarna mower is willing to do so. $$$$. Other wise another engine. $$$.

Now with that I going back to data harvesting the forum.
I thought your last day of posting was Oct. 25th of last year.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And correct you are, as usual.
Ha, when I finally got the crankshaft out, I was expecting roller bearings. So it looked like everything melted. But soon realized it was just the crankshaft machined to fit the hole.
I don't understand why there's no oil journal for the top bearing? Seems that would be a better place, so the oil could get the top and the bearing below. Or even better, two journals.
In fact, there should be roller bearings with oil journals. At least you wouldn't have to replace the whole block.

Thanks for the info, man. You really are a necessity around here. Even if you do get a little snappy sometimes. LOL ??
IT is all about costs
If people will pay for quality then companies will make quality
The only engines I have seen rolling element bearings in are Honda & Generac and neither seem to be making engines for mowers any more .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
IT is all about costs
If people will pay for quality then companies will make quality
The only engines I have seen rolling element bearings in are Honda & Generac and neither seem to be making engines for mowers any more .
FWIW, predators have dual ball bearings.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
FWIW, predators have dual ball bearings.

6.gif

Not all...

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I haven't seen a top roller bearing in a long time. Some of the old cast iron tecumseh engines had roller bearings at both ends.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
@StarTech @Rivets @bertsmobile1

What's the chances of honing this with some fine sand paper, and making it work? Now that the crank is out, I oiled it and slipped it back into place (with the help of a rubber mallet. I can turn it, just not by hand. The channel locks I'm using, to turn the crank over, I have to use a little force.
Obviously I wouldn't be able to sand it true to surface. But doing it carefully, and a little at a time, couldn't hurt too bad. After all, it's a winter project. And now a learning experience.

BTW, not having a oil journal on the top bearing just pisses me off. That's just stupid.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have said this on more than one occasion, but just to drum t\it in.
Vertical shaft engines are just about exclusive to mowers and as such are made to be the cheapest engine it is possible to make that will actually run.
And when it comes to quality it is just a case of some being less cheap than others.
And this comes back from the "american Dream" that technology will deliver more at lower price every year.
So the engines just get cheaper every year till there is no profit in making them so one by one the companies that used to do it go bust or just exit the market .
The crank will clean up with a dip in cold HCl or hot NaOH followed up with a little polish with some Silvro ( 0-2 µ abrasive size )
The top bush area can be recovered by rubbing down the dags only so you do not touch the valleys, just the peaks and only just enough for the drank to spin freely in it
OR you can get it bushed , but the bush will need to be keyed into the crankcase
I use 85:5:5:5 leadded gunmetal ( you lot might call it leadded brass or leadded bronze ) which expands a poofteenth less than the aluminium so can spin when the case gets hot.
I only use a 0.0005" shrink fit as the first couple split the crankcase, although the original seizure could have started some cracks that I did not detect because I did not do proper crack testing .
Anyway about 1 in 5 top seizures will be recoverable with nothing more than a little polish on the shaft and the absolute lease work to the cases, those deep ruts will actually work as oil reservoirs to help prevent further seizures .
The big problem is in use the belts pull back on the crankshaft , the lower bush acts as a fulcrium point so if there is any excessive clearance in the top bush the crank will tilt and lock up.
So the engine you bench test will run just fine till you put it in the mower & engage the blades.
I have been caught out like this a couple of times

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank Bert. The accent sound better in person. Trying to read it, I think I get it.
Much work, with 1 & 5 chance for a successful outcome. Not very good odds. Especially with all the work that needs to go into it putting everything back together, and hooking it all back up.

If I do anything. I doubt it'll be with the crank itself. As I see no way of any sanding evenly. So only the block.

I'm curious about one thing in particular. This is a solid steel crank rotating at a high RPM on an aluminum housing. Hardened aluminum, I suppose. That's amazes me.

BTW, the engines getting cheaper while the costs increase. That's not normally the American way.