Kohler engine cuts out after 10 minutes - fuel filter empty

sophiebaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
The fuel filter I have is an aftermarket one. This is the genuine one for the engine but it looks very similar to me. Is it worth buying the genuine one?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
when I disconnect the fuel line the fuel floods out and I get covered in petrol (gas?) then I reconnect it and the filter fills up immediately. It's a big mystery. Is replacing the carb a big job I can do? Another friend did suggest it might be the fuel solenoid but the mower guys did not suggest this. Again not sure if this is something I can replace on my own :)
I had a thought of fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb. You should hear/feel it click when the key is turned from off to on. If you run it long enough to die and then turn off the keyswitch and back on, you should hear/feel it click. No clicking when hot could be the issue.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
25 050 21-s Is the Kohler filter for the gravity flow system. It is the filter I use on the non-fuel pump systems. If you use the 24 050 13-s it is a 10 micron filter and the engine could run for short peroids of time and shut off.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a thought of fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb. You should hear/feel it click when the key is turned from off to on. If you run it long enough to die and then turn off the keyswitch and back on, you should hear/feel it click. No clicking when hot could be the issue.
Have you tried taking the fuel line off past the filter to see if fuel flows through the filter?

Skippydiesel

Threads
This is the Service manual ; https://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/20_690_01_EN.pdf

It certainly sounds like a fuel supply problem - can you remove the fuel hose connection to the bottom of the tank. The tank may have a coarse filter or non either way it could be intermittently blocked, or you could have water in the bottom of the tank. Drain tank (removing any contaminates) and refill with fresh fuel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Undo the fuel solenoid
You will need a very narrow 1/2" wrench
With it out of the engine and resting on some thing metal turn your ignition on and off
The plunger should move vey fast ( to fast to see it moving ) and make an audible click.
Debris builds up in the bottom of the carburettor float bowl and because the fuel solenoid is in the bottom it ends up in the solenoid .
Water can also cause the spring to rust .
Usually if it is sluggish or does not retract fully you can squirt it with something that has a straw on the can .
Most people have WD 40 & mower shops use carb cleaner
So give it a short squirt and move the plunger in & out with your fingers
If it is dirty you will see crud coming out so you keep on doing it till the spray comes out clean when you depress the plunger

If it has 1 wire then it grounds through the carb body and there is a bridge wire on one of the carb studs .
This wire can fracure over time causing a bad ground contact which causes the solenoid to shut off .