Export thread

Kohler engine cuts out after 10 minutes - fuel filter empty

sophiebaker

sophiebaker

I am a sixty-year-old woman who lives independently, with an acre garden and a Husqvarna ride-on. It was built in 2006 and has been very reliable and I have it serviced every year. It only mows once a week for about 2 hours max in the summer.

It seems to be suffering this year and I had it serviced but then developed an oil leak from the valve cover which I managed to replace myself. Now when I run it seems to go for about 10 minutes and then stops. The fuel filter is empty. The guys that serviced it came back and blew compressed air through the fuel system and replaced the fuel filter but the problem persists. I think they have given up with it now.

Anyone got any ideas? I am happy to pay for some repairs but it is so hard to find someone reliable to help me and to have the persistence to get to the bottom of its problems. It runs fine and cuts fine. When it stalls the only way to get it going is to disconnect the fuel filter and let gravity fill it up again. Then it works fine for another 10 minutes. It is a Kohler engine - see attachment.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Attachments

I

ILENGINE

That mower is old enough to have the vented fuel cap. If the cap vent plugs can cause similar issues. Next time it acts up try loosening the fuel cap and see if it will start and run. If you are some place quiet and the fuel cap vent is plugged when you loosen it you may be able to hear it sucking in air.

sophiebaker

sophiebaker

Yes I did try running it with the fuel cap resting on top and the mower guys shoved some compressed air through the fuel cap too and I stuck a pin in all the holes. No joy but thanks anyway.

sophiebaker

sophiebaker

Yes I did try running it with the fuel cap resting on top and the mower guys shoved some compressed air through the fuel cap too and I stuck a pin in all the holes. No joy but thanks anyway.
I can afford to fix it I just can't get anyone with the the knowledge and persistence to help me do it. I can afford to replace it but that seems an excessive response. Should a ride on last more than 18 years?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

"When it stalls the only way to get it going is to disconnect the fuel filter and let gravity fill it up again."

Does it have a fuel pump or is it a gravity system?
Is the fuel filter the pleated paper element type?

sophiebaker

sophiebaker

Does it have a fuel pump or is it a gravity system?
Is the fuel filter the pleated paper element type?
no fuel pump just gravity
yes the fuel filter is the paper type but I replaced it today and no difference

Thanks!

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Remove the paper filter and replace it with the round red screen type. Some paper filters are not compatible with gravity systems.

Screenshot_20240914_160001_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240914_160008_Chrome.jpg

I

ILENGINE

When you disconnect the fuel line how fast does the filter fill backup. Is it quick or a slow process. I am wondering being that old if the fuel line has ever been replaced and possibly is internally coming apart and blocking fuel flow to the filter. Or the empty filter is a none issue and the problem is actually something else involving the carb.

I

ILENGINE

Remove the paper filter and replace it with the round red screen type. Some paper filters are not compatible with gravity systems.

View attachment 69691

View attachment 69692
I don't use the red ones on anything. Had too many cases were debris would get through the filter and preventing the float valve from sealing causing overfill and gas in the crankcase issues, I prefer the white ones for gravity,

sophiebaker

sophiebaker

When you disconnect the fuel line how fast does the filter fill backup. Is it quick or a slow process. I am wondering being that old if the fuel line has ever been replaced and possibly is internally coming apart and blocking fuel flow to the filter. Or the empty filter is a none issue and the problem is actually something else involving the carb.
when I disconnect the fuel line the fuel floods out and I get covered in petrol (gas?) then I reconnect it and the filter fills up immediately. It's a big mystery. Is replacing the carb a big job I can do? Another friend did suggest it might be the fuel solenoid but the mower guys did not suggest this. Again not sure if this is something I can replace on my own :)

sophiebaker

sophiebaker

The fuel filter I have is an aftermarket one. This is the genuine one for the engine but it looks very similar to me. Is it worth buying the genuine one?

I

ILENGINE

when I disconnect the fuel line the fuel floods out and I get covered in petrol (gas?) then I reconnect it and the filter fills up immediately. It's a big mystery. Is replacing the carb a big job I can do? Another friend did suggest it might be the fuel solenoid but the mower guys did not suggest this. Again not sure if this is something I can replace on my own :)
I had a thought of fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb. You should hear/feel it click when the key is turned from off to on. If you run it long enough to die and then turn off the keyswitch and back on, you should hear/feel it click. No clicking when hot could be the issue.

H

hlw49

25 050 21-s Is the Kohler filter for the gravity flow system. It is the filter I use on the non-fuel pump systems. If you use the 24 050 13-s it is a 10 micron filter and the engine could run for short peroids of time and shut off.

H

hlw49

I had a thought of fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb. You should hear/feel it click when the key is turned from off to on. If you run it long enough to die and then turn off the keyswitch and back on, you should hear/feel it click. No clicking when hot could be the issue.
Have you tried taking the fuel line off past the filter to see if fuel flows through the filter?

S

Skippydiesel

This is the Service manual ; https://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/20_690_01_EN.pdf

It certainly sounds like a fuel supply problem - can you remove the fuel hose connection to the bottom of the tank. The tank may have a coarse filter or non either way it could be intermittently blocked, or you could have water in the bottom of the tank. Drain tank (removing any contaminates) and refill with fresh fuel.

B

bertsmobile1

Undo the fuel solenoid
You will need a very narrow 1/2" wrench
With it out of the engine and resting on some thing metal turn your ignition on and off
The plunger should move vey fast ( to fast to see it moving ) and make an audible click.
Debris builds up in the bottom of the carburettor float bowl and because the fuel solenoid is in the bottom it ends up in the solenoid .
Water can also cause the spring to rust .
Usually if it is sluggish or does not retract fully you can squirt it with something that has a straw on the can .
Most people have WD 40 & mower shops use carb cleaner
So give it a short squirt and move the plunger in & out with your fingers
If it is dirty you will see crud coming out so you keep on doing it till the spray comes out clean when you depress the plunger

If it has 1 wire then it grounds through the carb body and there is a bridge wire on one of the carb studs .
This wire can fracure over time causing a bad ground contact which causes the solenoid to shut off .