Kohler cv16 Command only runs with partial choke

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Without knowing the difference I did ream out the main jet in the Epray but because it even needs choke at idle I also raised the float level.
Baby steps here....... Both will or should richen it up.

Make sure you have no vacuum leaks ALL around the carb and gaskets. Any intake manifold pipes it may have.

Could buy another Epray carb they are so cheap. Maybe you will get lucky with it. Buy from a different seller. Make sure 100% it is for your engine. Message the seller and ask if it fits yours prior to buying.

I would enrichen the pilot circuit first. Slightly bore out the pilot jet. Pilot screw if it has one. Then if needed raise the float height about 1mm only. Try to get it idling/starting and low revs first. Then if needed hone the main jet out just a touch.

Last edited:

teseal

Threads
Baby steps here....... Both will or should richen it up.

Make sure you have no vacuum leaks ALL around the carb and gaskets. Any intake manifold pipes it may have.

Could buy another Epray carb they are so cheap. Maybe you will get lucky with it. Buy from a different seller. Make sure 100% it is for your engine. Message the seller and ask if it fits yours prior to buying.

I would enrichen the pilot circuit first. Slightly bore out the pilot jet. Pilot screw if it has one. Then if needed raise the float height about 1mm only. Try to get it idling/starting and low revs first. Then if needed hone the main jet out just a touch.
Thx for your patience but this thing just keeps beating me up, before the reworked carb got full of gas the ignition stopped firing again, same symptoms; one spark the second I start cranking and sometimes a very weak one after I stop the starter. Though it could be a weak battery this time because of all the cranking its been seeing, it's on the charger now. If a fully charged battery doesn't give me spark I will install one of the CD upgrade ignitions where the one unit replaces both the existing ignition module and DSAM.

When the new carb didn't fix the original problem I had done a leak test with carb cleaner, no luck, gaskets were all replace - head/heat shield, heat shield/manifold, manifold/ carb. At one time I must have had the pilot adj out about ten turns. An air leak is one thing that would affect all the carb ckts tho, I'll give that some more attention.

I see those OEM carbs are pretty expensive but that is an option. THX

teseal

Threads
Got the new ignition installed and tested the reworked carb (slightly reamed main jet and raised float level) but still running lean, at idle and throttled up. Could it be a valve problem????? The compression was low but wrote it off questioning if it has ACR.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Shot in the dark, do you have the correct spark plugs in her?

When you adjust the pilot screw, does the engine respond in any fashion? Smooth out or start stumbling? Start with screw gently seated then one and a half turns out.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might need to start all over.

1.Pull the kill wires off the coils. Engine should run and drain the tank dry. If you lack any kind of spark, you have a weak or dead coil. Feel both exhaust pipes for heat or measure with non contact temp gun.

2.Make sure the flywheel key is in mint condition.

3.Buy the OEM carb.

4.Inspect valves. Make sure you are on TDC, compression stroke. Follow your engine manual for more tips.

5.Retorque the head gasket down. You said you put a new head on back on page one. Normally when you pull a head off you need to lap the gasket surface on the block and head.

6.Solid fuel flow AT carb inlet. Drain your entire gas tank into a large glass jar. Make sure you can empty the tank with no issues. Pour it back in and retest. You can filter the fuel with a coffee filter.

7.Carb solenoid plunger bypassed with a bolt with the same threads as solenoid.

8.Hone out the main jet a little more. Carb is like 20 bucks on Epray. Open up ONE hole on the emulsion tube. Try another if still lean.

9.Your coils need to jump a 0.25" gap at minimum. Get an adjustable inline spark tester that you can widen the gap on.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could it be a valve problem?????
Pull the head off. With one valve open, place your thumb on the opposite valve and attempt to turn it. Check opposite valve. That is one crude way.

teseal

Threads
Shot in the dark, do you have the correct spark plugs in her?

When you adjust the pilot screw, does the engine respond in any fashion? Smooth out or start stumbling? Start with screw gently seated then one and a half turns out.
I did try a different spark plug that came with one of the carbs but I didn't check the manual for the recommended plug, I will now.

Doesn't seem like anything I have done with the carb, pilot screw included, has change how it runs. I have in the past started at one turn out and just kept increasing without effect.
Pull the head off. With one valve open, place your thumb on the opposite valve and attempt to turn it. Check opposite valve. That is one crude way.
Hmm, not sure what your suggesting, this is OHV they'll both be closed, could you please clarify?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Doesn't seem like anything I have done with the carb, pilot screw included, has change how it runs. I have in the past started at one turn out and just kept increasing without effect.
Tells me the pilot circuit is clogged and or not working.
Hmm, not sure what your suggesting, this is OHV they'll both be closed, could you please clarify?
Turn the flywheel until one valve is open. On the closed valve, take your thumb and try to turn the valve face on the valve seat.

teseal

Threads
Tells me the pilot circuit is clogged and or not working.

Turn the flywheel until one valve is open. On the closed valve, take your thumb and try to turn the valve face on the valve seat.
Guess that wasn't the best reply regarding the carb, frustration carryover, better would have been no adjustment would allow running without the choke on either carb so I don't believe there is clog. It did responded about the same with 2 separate carbs.

I would like to try your valve test but it is an OHV engine so don't see how that's possible. If seating could be a concern I could take the head off and reseat the valves.

teseal

Threads
Just a thought, although the fuel pump was tested be free flow at the carb, I wonder if it could have a problem when it's pumping to the carb with the flow restriction and higher pressure? This is a new fuel pump so I wouldn't expect that kind of problem. Not sure what the dead head pressure should be?