Kohler cv16 Command only runs with partial choke

teseal

Threads
Received the brand new ignition module today and it cold checks exactly the same as the one that is on the engine, I'll swap them just in case but I guessed not the coil. Believe this engine has the DSAM so when I find and receive one I'll try it and see where we're at. Be advised different meters on different types of active ckts can read different R values even if they are calibrated and zeroed. Good thing I don't need this mower to cut the grass.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engine will die in seconds if the choke is opened completely, cold or warm. New carb, carb shutoff bypassed, new filter, new pump, replace fuel line, new head and manifold gaskets, fresh gas, new spark plug, will only start with full choke even when engine is warm.
Sounds like a lack of fuel delivery. OEM carb or Chinese Amazon/Ebay? Was the fuel TANK flushed out? You replaced everything but the tank.

You need to verify you have good fuel flow AT the carb inlet pipe.

teseal

Threads
Yes it is one of the Ebay carbs and it did have an issue with the float jet but I think I have that taken care of. Before I could try it the ignition failed and that appears to be a problem with the SAM which was replaced earlier with a used unit, didn't get away with that either.
The fuel tank was removed and flushed also fuel flow verified after all the changes with the line disconnected at the carb.
Also the head, actually all the engine fines, were cleaned prior to replacing baffles and blower housing.
I'm looking for a SAM now.
Thx for the info.

Sounds like a lack of fuel delivery. OEM carb or Chinese Amazon/Ebay? Was the fuel TANK flushed out? You replaced everything but the tank.

You need to verify you have good fuel flow AT the carb inlet pipe.
w

teseal

Threads
Thought it would be a waste of time swapping coils again but replaced the recently installed new coil with another and now have fire, actually that cd ign supplies a pretty good spark. Anyway still need to run with the choke so neither the ignition nor the fixed carb float level cured the problem. Working with the air filter off while it was running I saw the governor spring vibrating, it was loose. The governor spring ends were twisted like pretzels so there is something wrong with the linkage. I will need to check this out before getting back to the carb. After the spring/linkage or whatever is messed up with the governor i'm not sure where to go with the carb/choke issue. I don't think it is related to whatever is messed up with the governor. The plate that attaches the throttle cable to the spring will not be adjustable enough to take all the slack out of the governor spring once the spring ends are straightened and looped properly. Might have time to look at it today.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The governor spring ends were twisted like pretzels so there is something wrong with the linkage.
No surprise there. Every used slash new to me mower I get the linkage is all jacked up. Especially on Kawi and Hondu engines for some reason.

I would order all new OEM carb linkage springs for it.

teseal

Threads
No surprise there. Every used slash new to me mower I get the linkage is all jacked up. Especially on Kawi and Hondu engines for some reason.

I would order all new OEM carb linkage springs for it.
I straighten and rebent the spring ends, had to move the throttle plate all the way and then set the spring in holes farther apart, no doubt need some tweaking once I can get the engine to run BUT still running lean, needs some choke to keep running. Just to recap in regards to the fuel/lean problem, tank removed and flushed, line replace, filter replace, fuel pump replaced, flow tested with line removed at carb, carb replaced (Ebay), manifold and carb gaskets replaced, leak tested while running with carb cleaner, problems with carb float seat adjusted, disabled solenoid by cutting of shaft, and lots of foul words. Am I wrong too assume it's still the carb? Definity open for suggestions.

teseal

Threads
One more thing, my apologizes to all - for whatever reason I still call this a CV but it is horizontal.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
carb replaced (Ebay)
That is the only red flag I see.

Do you still have the OEM carb? If so swap the pilot if it has one and main jets into the Chinese Gambler Series carb. Emulsion tube spotless? Swap it into the Epray carb. Do what ever to make it run. As Taryl says its not the space shuttle. You know what it needs, more fuel. Compare main jet hole sizes.......

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So the question is, What does enriching the fuel/air mixture with the choke overcome to allow it to run?
Surging is from a lean condition. Your engine wants more fuel. Engines "prefer" 14.7:1 air fuel ratio. 14.7 parts air to one part fuel for combustion. When you get over 16:1 they can surge and complain.

teseal

Threads
One more thing, my apologizes to all - for whatever reason I still call this a CV but it is horizontal.
That is the only red flag I see.

Do you still have the OEM carb? If so swap the pilot if it has one and main jets into the Chinese Gambler Series carb. Emulsion tube spotless? Swap it into the Epray carb. Do what ever to make it run. As Taryl says its not the space shuttle. You know what it needs, more fuel. Compare main jet hole sizes.......
The guy I bought it from said he had cut grass with it 6-8 months prior. The carb was water damaged so bad the throttle plate shaft was rotted off at the bottom, obviously it wasn't used recently. So there are no parts to salvage from the original carb. Also found the fuel pump with its metal valves were corroded. I did yesterday have the original, a Walboro out and compare to the Epray but the original was so corroded it couldn't measure the jet. Without knowing the difference I did ream out the main jet in the Epray but because it even needs choke at idle I also raised the float level. I had the plug off on the side to check those passages which seemed ok, had to use some RTV (temporary patch) to seal so needed to wait for it to cure. I didn't get a chance to try it yesterday but will today.