Kohler cv16 Command only runs with partial choke

Freddie21

Threads
I have received one of those carbs where the fuel seat was not pressed in far enough. I think these are either untested, or failed units they sell. Cost more for them to take the return than to just ship another. I have the same running issue, ( not electrical) on two Kohler single cylinder engines SV590. Either surges badly or runs for short time on 1\2 choke. I have tried all new gaskets, governor adjustment, and valve lash. I'm really interested to see what you come up with here.

Freddie21

Threads
I have received one of those carbs where the fuel seat was not pressed in far enough. I think these are either untested, or failed units they sell. Cost more for them to take the return than to just ship another. I have the same running issue, ( not electrical) on two Kohler single cylinder engines SV590. Either surges badly or runs for short time on 1\2 choke. I have tried all new gaskets, governor adjustment, and valve lash. I'm really interested to see what you come up with here.

jono252525

Threads
If that engine have a plastic cam gear, the plastic gear could have slip on the metal shaft and the engine run a bit out of timing. Just an idea!!

teseal

Threads
That's right, one test I did was remove the rubber stopper, didn't have a bolt short enough to replace the solenoid with. Right now I'm working on the ignition problem waiting for a new coil to get here. Not all that convinced it's the coil even tho it did not cold check properly. Because the spark seems to be time and voltage sensitive it would make more sense if its the replacement SAM module acting up.

Last edited:

teseal

Threads
Yes I found the seat problem as well and corrected it so the float was parallel, but before I could test with the adjusted carb the ignition died. I' ll get back on it when I get the coil next week.

STEVES

Threads
That's right, one test I did was remove the rubber stopper, didn't have a bolt short enough to replace the solenoid with. Right now I'm working on the ignition problem waiting for a new coil to get here. Not all that convinced it's the coil even tho it did not cold check properly. Because the spark seems to be time and voltage sensitive it would make more sense if its the replacement SAM module acting up.
After ignition fixed, may want to see if plunger rod partially blocks main jet with rubber stopper removed.

teseal

Threads
I'll check the rod when I get it to fire. Thx

Freddie21

Threads
I have received one of those carbs where the fuel seat was not pressed in far enough. I think these are either untested, or failed units they sell. Cost more for them to take the return than to just ship another. I have the same running issue, ( not electrical) on two Kohler single cylinder engines SV590. Either surges badly or runs for short time on 1\2 choke. I have tried all new gaskets, governor adjustment, and valve lash.

Freddie21

Threads
On the anti-fire solenoid, rather than just removing the rubber boot, cut the little shaft close to the body with side cutters. Once everything is running correctly, replace the solenoid if you wish. Not cheap.

teseal

Threads

If that engine have a plastic cam gear, the plastic gear could have slip on the metal shaft and the engine run a bit out of timing. Just an idea!!

On the anti-fire solenoid, rather than just removing the rubber boot, cut the little shaft close to the body with side cutters. Once everything is running correctly, replace the solenoid if you wish. Not cheap.
Sounds like a plan, thx.