Kawaaski FR651V - FX air box conversion

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's hard to get perspective on the block you installed in the old air box space. Do you have dimensions for it, or another picture that better shows it's shape? I like what you did here and want to do the same. Also, is this the kit that actually shows for the the FX motor?
It was a 4x4 that I cut to size, to sit on the 4 protruding steps under the wood block. I first shaped the 4x4 so the OE filter flap would just close. And I lag screwed from everywhere there are arrows on my illustrations. Then thru the cover to hood down the bracket.
I got the canister & brackets used off ebay, for an FX 730, but put in new filters. Now depending on your elevation, you may need to re-jet to a leaner size jet.

No kit on mine, I built it my way.

txmowman

Threads
Everyone considering this be advised: This will void the manufacturers warranty and is a federal EPA violation.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Everyone considering this be advised: This will void the manufacturers warranty and is a federal EPA violation.
How could better filtering of air void a warranty or be an EPA violation, considering that Kawasaki sells the same air filtering system on the FX engine models??

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I could possibly see how it would void a mfgr warranty, if the homeowner didn't seal it right or something to cause it to suck dust. But no way Jose on the EPA deal...

Lawn Addict
Threads
I get it, it is considered tampering with emissions. I'm gonna go hide now.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I get it, it is considered tampering with emissions. I'm gonna go hide now.
How could it be, when the FX has that air filter setup?

Lawn Addict
Threads
The FX models have 2 bbl carbs, & FR & FS have 1 bbl carbs. So I don't see an issue. But that's me.

I was told @ the Dealer when I got my new Kawasaki, if I did that conversion. My engine warranty would be VOID.

Guess he really did not need to know that.. LOL

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The FX models have 2 bbl carbs, & FR & FS have 1 bbl carbs. So I don't see an issue. But that's me.

I was told @ the Dealer when I got my new Kawasaki, if I did that conversion. My engine warranty would be VOID.

Guess he really did not need to know that.. LOL
Did he explain what adverse consequences a better air cleaning system was going to cause?

Wouldn't adding a sock to the oval FR filter be a similar crime against the environment? Can I expect a visit from the Environment Police Agency soon?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Baldwin and Engineaire both sell large twin element 3 stage air filters for just about every engine ever made .
Mechanics who were not fully asleep during their tech classes will know that carbs are jetted to have the correct air/fuel ratio from a clean filter to a 50% blocked air filter.
Thus a brand new filter will be a touch lean & a heavily clogged filter will be a tad rich and a fully clogged filter will choke the engine.
Idiots conflate a CAR TRUCK or MOTORCYCLE engine with a governed fix speed and fixed timing mower engine.
The air?fuel requirements and in particular the air flow requirements are massively different in particular with the air flow requirements