Is this safe? A better way?

JDH12

Threads
@bertsmobile1
I do this once a year so the Amazon one will probably work. The lines could be replaced, I just don't have the motivation to do it until there's no other option. I have the Amazon version in my cart waiting on more stuff to order. Thanks all for your help. There's usually a specialty tool available to do a specialty job, if you just know about it - which I didn't. Glad I didn't catch my mower on fire by using my uneducated way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 97405

We aren't dealing with fit and finish quality we had 25 years ago . Not even close . Hot water will usually soften hose safely .
You are correct, but the same rules for removing a simple fuel filter on an X300 haven't changed in my opinion. I'm not arguing this point any further. Good day.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The infamous Hazard Fraught has a 3 piece set of hose pliers that the small pair is perfect to grab the hose and twist on the filter nipple to loosen it and hold the hose while pulling the filter out. I have the Lisle hose removal pliers but rarely need them for fuel lines. Changing a fuel filter is not that complicated unless a JD engineer decided to bury it with short hoses or mount it underneath on a frame rail.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just finished winterizing my X300. One of the items was replacing the fuel filter. Once the hose clips were slid back, it was still impossible to pull the hose from both ends of the filter. So I got out my heat gun and heated up the hoses where they connected to the filter. That worked. However I was pretty nervous about it due to gas fumes and the glowing red heating element even though it wasn't an open flame like from a torch. So is that how it's done or is there a better way?
Hot water normally works to soften most any kind of hose when a torch is questionable .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Y'all making removing a fuel filter from a simple fuel line a complicated task! To each their own, I guess. I'm more of a simple, farmer-minded individual. Give it a gentle twist and pull. And you're done. It will not tear an inner liner or anything if you're gentle with it. You can do this safely without having to buy a special tool! Been doing this over 25 years without issue, but, again, to each their own. Not ragging on anyone here. I'm all about doing the same job simply as possible.
Difference is Will, you and I are techs
We know exactly how to do a lot of things properly without damaging anything
That is something we learned over years of doing this .
I probably change 100 filters a year and as already mentioned usually use the pliers I already have with me the lever the hose off.
We both know that pushing the hose off the barb is better for the hose than pulling it
However JDH12 is not a tech to the point he has great difficulty removing the hose so no I don't believe we are over complicating matters.
The phrase I believe is "work smarter not harder"

Threads
I just finished winterizing my X300. One of the items was replacing the fuel filter. Once the hose clips were slid back, it was still impossible to pull the hose from both ends of the filter. So I got out my heat gun and heated up the hoses where they connected to the filter. That worked. However I was pretty nervous about it due to gas fumes and the glowing red heating element even though it wasn't an open flame like from a torch. So is that how it's done or is there a better way?
I used a 90 degree pick, careful to not stick in hose put move it between nipple of filter and hose and they come apart nicely

mmoffitt

Threads
We'll he's still here to do it a little differently ,next year!! SAFELY!
Happy and healthy to all in the coming New Year!
Love the site thanks for all the wisdom that is shared so freely
Martin

JDH12

Threads
The hose pliers should be here tomorrow so them plus long reach needle nose pliers to move the clip back should work fine. I'll know for sure next November. Thank you all for your suggestions, especially the one on the hose pliers. I didn't know there was such a thing.

JD was a bit skimpy when they put the fuel line in, it's really tight with no play whatsoever. On both sides of the filter. Replacing the back one seems rather daunting without actually getting under the tractor and looking. It's buried way back in the engine compartment, hard to get to it's clip without long reach pliers. I may get a few more years out of the line by using the hose pliers before I have to deal with replacing it due to hardening up.