Is this safe? A better way?

smhardesty

Threads
I'm a newbie on here, but I'll say that if the hose can't be removed with slightly more than gentle twising and pulling, I automatically replace the lines. I do that even if there is enough extra line to cut the line off. I figure if the hose has gotten hard enough to make removal near impossible, it's time for a new line. Gas line is fairly cheap and replacing the lines on both sides of the filter will make the filter replacement lots easier during the next service. Just my two cents worth.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Normally any that makes work easier to do without damage the item being is good.

For the fuel on the X300 it goes under the fender pan to the top of the fuel tank so the fender pan has to be removed to replace that line.
1670787262526.png
IN the image "A" is the fuel line. "B" is the seat switch harness.

Draggin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just finished winterizing my X300. One of the items was replacing the fuel filter. Once the hose clips were slid back, it was still impossible to pull the hose from both ends of the filter. So I got out my heat gun and heated up the hoses where they connected to the filter. That worked. However I was pretty nervous about it due to gas fumes and the glowing red heating element even though it wasn't an open flame like from a torch. So is that how it's done or is there a better way?

1670850628106.png

Hose Removal Tool from tinytach.com​

Jetman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just finished winterizing my X300. One of the items was replacing the fuel filter. Once the hose clips were slid back, it was still impossible to pull the hose from both ends of the filter. So I got out my heat gun and heated up the hoses where they connected to the filter. That worked. However I was pretty nervous about it due to gas fumes and the glowing red heating element even though it wasn't an open flame like from a torch. So is that how it's done or is there a better way?
I bought a pair of long nose pliers, heated them up and bent them to a small 90 at the end, about an inch long. I use these to pry the fuel line off, it's always worked for me.

Alton R

Threads
A fuel filter can be difficult to remove sometimes.
But don't use heat. You can pry with a screwdriver in between the filter and the hose. I've found if you hold the hose and twist the filter that sometimes works. And if you have enough fuel line I would just cut the lines off from the filter. Yes it sometimes can be hard, if you don't give up I assure you it will come loose. I never seen one that didn't.

loco-diablo

Threads
Yikes! Please don’t use a heat gun near a fuel source.. cut the hose with a razor knife if needed the re-attach.. buy new fuel line if needed.. you’re a lucky man!

Timbuktu

Threads
Are you using ethanal gas? Ethanal can be hard on rubber and plastic over time. That's what Iv'e been told, but don't use it at all so just going by what I was told.

gkitf16

Forum Newbie
Threads
Never any heat source. I'd try a little bit of silicone spray or WD40 on the old line, let it soak thru for a moment then pull/twist. That should get it loose. If all else fails, and it's that hard & crispy from age, get a fresh section of line, cut the old piece off carefully and replace it. Preferably with genuine Tygon tubing.

Roymg

Threads
I use a silicone spray to soften the rubber and then wedge a flat head screwdriver between the gap in the hose and the metal hose connector, then twist the hose.

Smithsonite

Threads
Get yourself a set of hose removal pliers like this: https://www.vividracing.com/-p-153726444.html

You'll thank me later.

I used to use a flat blade screwdriver - I would twist it so that it acted like a press, and forced the line to move. Never had to heat one in 30 years of work.

Ahh, someone beat me to it. I should've read first, THEN posted ...