Is this safe? A better way?

Gord Baker

Threads
I just finished winterizing my X300. One of the items was replacing the fuel filter. Once the hose clips were slid back, it was still impossible to pull the hose from both ends of the filter. So I got out my heat gun and heated up the hoses where they connected to the filter. That worked. However I was pretty nervous about it due to gas fumes and the glowing red heating element even though it wasn't an open flame like from a torch. So is that how it's done or is there a better way?
With a common pliers, grasp hose over the Filter nipple and while holding the filter work it back and forth. Hot water may help.
Perhaps put a little lube on the Filter when reinstalling. Do not use heat gun or open flame.

coder

Threads
I just finished winterizing my X300. One of the items was replacing the fuel filter. Once the hose clips were slid back, it was still impossible to pull the hose from both ends of the filter. So I got out my heat gun and heated up the hoses where they connected to the filter. That worked. However I was pretty nervous about it due to gas fumes and the glowing red heating element even though it wasn't an open flame like from a torch. So is that how it's done or is there a better way?
The heat gun has a red-hot heating coil inside. If there are any fuel vapors present, it is hot enough to ignite them. In a closed space, an explosion, and possibly fire can be unpleasant.
In this case, you could argue that prior to pulling apart the fuel line connection, there were no fuel vapors present, so you lucked out. Still seems like a bad idea to use a heat/spark source near gasoline, esp in a closed space. To take apart a stuck fuel filter connection I usually use a twisting motion, twist the filter back and forth while holding on to the line over the filter's stub. Rubber gloves may help to grip better.
If absolute worst comes to worst, the line usually has enough slack so that it can be simply cut near the filter.
I remember my dad (may he rest in peace), was overhauling an engine, while using an electric heater to keep the garage warm, had spectacular results. (He survived with a slight burn)

coder

Threads
The heat gun has a red-hot heating coil inside. If there are any fuel vapors present, it is hot enough to ignite them. In a closed space, an explosion, and possibly fire can be unpleasant.
In this case, you could argue that prior to pulling apart the fuel line connection, there were no fuel vapors present, so you lucked out. Still seems like a bad idea to use a heat/spark source near gasoline, esp in a closed space. To take apart a stuck fuel filter connection I usually use a twisting motion, twist the filter back and forth while holding on to the line over the filter's stub. Rubber gloves may help to grip better.
If absolute worst comes to worst, the line usually has enough slack so that it can be simply cut near the filter.
I remember my dad (may he rest in peace), was overhauling an engine, while using an electric heater to keep the garage warm, had spectacular results. (He survived with a slight burn)

KeystoneKid2121

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know what your talking about, I ran into the same problem when I tried to remove a Factory installed Fuel Filter recently and it would not budge, even after trying to use a set of Small Vice Grips, The only way I could get the old Filter off was to use a Small Razor knife and Split the Hose on both sides at the ends of the filter, It was then that I notice that they used some sort of Lock Tite or Lubricant that they must use in order to get the Filter to slide into the Hose easier during assembly, the only problem is when this stuff hardens it make the removal of the Filter nearly impossible because it Welds the Plastic to the Rubber hose.
As for using a Heat Gun to warm up the Fuel Line, I would consider that a Risky move, especially if its done while still attached to the Fuel Tank, to be honest with you Fuel Line is Cheap, and I ended up with the Lines to Short after cutting so I purchased 2' of replacement Fuel Line at my locale Auto parts store for less then $4.00 and I still have enough left to do another job.

Rabbit929

Threads
I’ve only replaced my fuel filter when it became a problem, which is once, at 600 hours 12 years ago. Every mower (3) since still has factory fuel filter.
if I decide I want to change it that’s the first thing I check, is if I can crack it loose. (Rotating method) if not, I hear from a distance with A map-gas torch. (Yes, I’m not smart.) obviouslyl keep your distance, and smell for fumes first. Have extinguisher ready.

im not suggesting anyone do this though 😂 but I’ve done it.
in most cases, after about 3 years I replace my fuel lines as well as filter. The only time I’ve had a plugged filter is because the ethanol ate my line up from the inside, so I have since flaired a short stainless 1/4in tube after my fuel filter, then use rubber up to that. So no rubber in my carbs.

my advice is if you can’t get it off the fuel line, just replace the line. Cheaper and better than having to buy another specialty tool you’ll use seldomly. It takes about 6 years for rubber to start to dry-rot. faster if you run ethanol. So I just replace the lot every 3-4 years. Never had a problem but I’m also not commercial anymore.

my biggest suggestion is to install a ball valve to shut your gas off when you park for winter. Let it run till it dies. I started doing that after my quad-carb motorcycles had issues every summer because of junk in the carbs, with staible/sea foam. The small quantities of fuel in the carb evaporate quickly and cause issues, 15 years I’ve been running all my small seasonal equipment empty and everything starts and runs as the day I parked it, original carbs on everything.
best thing I’ve ever done.

Hal12

Threads
Slit the hose over the filters nipple. Pull off. And if you have enough slack left reinstall new filter. If not get new hoses.

goodO1boydws

Threads
Others have said I'll paraphrase it.
If you use a HEAT GUN, around FUEL you'll likely be trading it for a harp at some point.

The easiest way is to avoid the hassle is to just put in a fuel hose that's inches longer than it needs to be to reach tautly and clip off the first 3/4" or so om the ends each time you switch filters. (Every few years isn't too often to change a fuel hose, either.)

In re. tools for the job:
There's a steel automotive DOOR PANEL TOOL with a screwdriver type handle that works for this-especially if you're not concerned about possibly damaging the filter. If you ARE worried, be sure to break the seal between the filter and hose before prying. You'll notice that it has different width slots so you can do a couple different diameter fuel lines or even file it to fit. Once you have this tool you'll easily find other uses for it- opening paint cans and prying off wheel covers are 2.

It looks like this:

RayMcD

Threads
Actually box cutters are not all that good for cutting fuel line
Parrot nose tube cutters are by far the best tool to use
After that bypass secateurs come a close second
Nothing like a good pair of pruning shears for cutting gas lines.. Cheers...