Is this safe? A better way?

JDH12

Threads
I just finished winterizing my X300. One of the items was replacing the fuel filter. Once the hose clips were slid back, it was still impossible to pull the hose from both ends of the filter. So I got out my heat gun and heated up the hoses where they connected to the filter. That worked. However I was pretty nervous about it due to gas fumes and the glowing red heating element even though it wasn't an open flame like from a torch. So is that how it's done or is there a better way?

D

Deleted member 97405

On a unit that new, the fuel lines shouldn't be super stiff yet. NEVER use a heat source around gas fumes, or you may end up on YouTube :) Rather, once you slide the clamps back, grab the fuel line on the filter nipple with your pliers and rotate the filter by hand to break the 'seal'. Once the line rotates, you can then pull it off the filter. Hope this helps!

RayMcD

Threads
I just finished winterizing my X300. One of the items was replacing the fuel filter. Once the hose clips were slid back, it was still impossible to pull the hose from both ends of the filter. So I got out my heat gun and heated up the hoses where they connected to the filter. That worked. However I was pretty nervous about it due to gas fumes and the glowing red heating element even though it wasn't an open flame like from a torch. So is that how it's done or is there a better way?
Sir, I'm glad you are ok, please never use any heat source or open flame near gas. We don't what to learn of you on the evening news...Cheers. Ray

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
On a unit that new, the fuel lines shouldn't be super stiff yet. NEVER use a heat source around gas fumes, or you may end up on YouTube :) Rather, once you slide the clamps back, grab the fuel line on the filter nipple with your pliers and rotate the filter by hand to break the 'seal'. Once the line rotates, you can then pull it off the filter. Hope this helps!
Twisting of the fuel line is not recommended due to it will tear the low permeation liner in the fuel line which will result in clogging and or debris in the carb. There is a special tool to pry the line off of the filter nipples.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The tool Illengine is talking about looks like a tyre lever with a slot at either end ( cheap version ) or a pair of reverse action pliers with a slot in the ends ( expensive professional version ).
I use a pair of 45 deg long reach pliers as a LEVER to push the hose off because that is the tool I use to move the clips.
If that fails to shift it then I go for the hose tool .
Before getting the hose tool I used a small claw hammer.
If the end of the hose is damaged or deformed then cut it off .
You can usually trim the hose 4 to 6 times before it gets too short and after that I fit a longer filter so get another 1/2 dozen trims

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That looks like a cheap & nasty copy of a quality tool but yes it is the general idea
But get one that is not made from cardboard strength steel from a real tool store not AMMOZONE

D

Deleted member 97405

Y'all making removing a fuel filter from a simple fuel line a complicated task! To each their own, I guess. I'm more of a simple, farmer-minded individual. Give it a gentle twist and pull. And you're done. It will not tear an inner liner or anything if you're gentle with it. You can do this safely without having to buy a special tool! Been doing this over 25 years without issue, but, again, to each their own. Not ragging on anyone here. I'm all about doing the same job simply as possible.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It also could that fuel line is harden from age and heat. Some are nearly possible to get off. Those lines get replaced when they are harden.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Y'all making removing a fuel filter from a simple fuel line a complicated task! To each their own, I guess. I'm more of a simple, farmer-minded individual. Give it a gentle twist and pull. And you're done. It will not tear an inner liner or anything if you're gentle with it. You can do this safely without having to buy a special tool! Been doing this over 25 years without issue, but, again, to each their own. Not ragging on anyone here. I'm all about doing the same job simply as possible.
We aren't dealing with fit and finish quality we had 25 years ago . Not even close . Hot water will usually soften hose safely .