Hustler clutch pulley

Mad_mat222

Threads
Are you sure about that? I thought it was a press fit onto the shaft. The riveted sections were part of the clutch assembly. The pulley is not part of the clutch and is only connected via the shaft.

That diagram is misleading. Have a look at an actual assembly like the Warner clutch. Nothing attached to the pulley.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Where in the hell you think I got the diagram for 5219 series clutch from? The info came from Warner themselves. And yes I know how they are constructed or at least I should after replacing near 100 of them.

I actual run my own repair shop and have ever since 2009 repairing all type of lawn care equipment. I am not just some DIYer or Youtube hack.1697491079209.png

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you sure about that? I thought it was a press fit onto the shaft. The riveted sections were part of the clutch assembly. The pulley is not part of the clutch and is only connected via the shaft.

That diagram is misleading. Have a look at an actual assembly like the Warner clutch. Nothing attached to the pulley.
Trust these guys. They know what they are talking about.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads

Yes he is sure about that. Never seen anyone suppy parts for the clutch. Other than there are a few that have replacable bearings. Really something when so novice comes in and argues with the pros here

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT may be possible but then where are you going to get a deep pulley to fit ?
IT is made specifically for Warner in the USA ( Well probably Mexico or China ) and if you do no know the supplier and their part number you are up that famous creek in the barbed wire canoe without a paddle and they probably will only sell them in lots of a few thousand .
It is a 2 piece metal pressing welded together then held to the driven plate by 3 ( some times 4 ) high tensile hot set rivets.
A big job if you do not have the custom tooling to do it with .
The hub is offset and a larger diameter to take the bearing
You might be able to get one turned up from a slug of aluminium or steel but at 7.5" outer diameter it is going to be a lot of turning
Or in theory you could buy a steel or cast iron pulley cut the hub out , weld a new one in then rivet it to the sliding plate but by the time you have finished you will probably have spent more than a replacement
I have spent thousands of hours just trying to find local suppliers of flat & V idler pulleys .
The burning question is what is wrong with your pulley ?
Got a couple with stuffed bearings that I have kept on the delusion of replacing the bearings when I have time

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

The driven plate of the clutch attaches to the pulley at the engine end and the lower bearing at the other end which of course is bolted to the PTO shaft

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay here is 5219-20 clutch fully disassembled except removing rivets. Same clutch assy as the OP Hustler clutch just a different pulley.
1697557054372.png
D adpator, pulley and attached armature, rotor, and coil with its housing. This as far you can go unless you drill out the rivets.
Even the bearings are non removable.

Mad_mat222

Threads
Thanks Startech. Looks like I’m replacing the whole lot. What a waste. Not practical to machine one up. I contacted Warner and they said they cant supply it seperate.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you expect any thing different ?
a magneto coil is around $ 5
The Hall effect trigger is around $ 10 as a stand alone item and the actual cost is about 60¢
Stick the chip inside the coil potting mix and it becomes an $ 50 module .
Mower coils almost never ever burn out but the chips do bad so for the need of a 50¢ chip I replace at least 30 $ 50 + modules a year .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Boy Bert are you out in left field? Two totally different things; although, these PTO clutches do use a huge electro-magnet doughnut but no chips except the maybe a diode for anti electro magnet kickback.

When the bearings went on the one I took apart the doughnut is what got taken out with exposed windings being rub and shorting out on the rotor.