Export thread

Hustler clutch pulley

M

Mad_mat222

Greetings,
The pulley on my clutch assembly (605777k) is worn and I would like to replace it. The item is sold as a complete assembly and the quote I got was $780aud. There are no issues with the clutch just the pulley.

Has anyone replaced this pulley and point me in the right direction of where to source one.

Mower is a Hustler 36” 938365EX.

Cheers
Mat

B

Bertrrr

I've replaced a few but $780 is WAY too much , look on amazon

M

Mad_mat222

I've replaced a few but $780 is WAY too much , look on amazon
Surely the pulley alone can be replaced.

B

bertsmobile1

In most cases no
Stens do an aftermarket one part No X0922 which is listed at $ 733 with free shipping from All Mowers but it might not get here for a very long time as they are hopeless.
I could do it for you for $ 550 + P&P but Stens list it as currently out of stock with no ETA and I know All Mowers do not carry any parts so they will tell you they have it , take your $ 733 then a month latter tell you it is on back order .
So you might be stuck with Genuine Hustler only if any dealers have them in stock which is very unlikely .
Hustler used to be handled by RGS but from memory has now been picked up by Masport so there may be some dealers stock but I doubt it
And unless your Hustler is a current model they most likely will not carry any parts that are unique to it because they are not liable for supply parts for wholegoods they did not import .
RGS has no stock either but they do have a 6 1/2" pulley one in a Warner clutch but that is more expensive than the Stens
I could do that for you for $ 600 + P&P and it will take a week as it has to come down from QLD
This should work with your existing belt but the blades will spin a bit faster
This is the base specs of the Stens clutch.

• Belt Width1/2" or 5/8"
  • ID1 1/8"
  • Pulley Diameter 6 1/8"
  • Rotation DirectionCounter Clockwise
You could go to the other aftermarket parts supplier JAKMAX ( they have an on line catalogue ) I can not look it up for you as most of their parts were shit so I do not deal with them any more .
And before all you scream about the price these are AUSTRALIAN $ not Yankee ones .

M

Mad_mat222

I don’t want to replace the whole clutch assembly if it’s just the pulley that needs replacing. Seems such a waste. Surely one can be sourced from somewhere.

Parts at the moment are very hard to come by. I’m still waiting for blower parts I ordered in January 🙄

StarTech

StarTech

It is a Warner 5219-191 clutch so search for its replacement or visit your local mower boneyard. Looks like was made just for Hustler so it will be pricer.

And I got three months on you as I got a throttle here in the US that been on BO since Sept 2022.

H

hlw49

Xtreme Clutches https://xtremeope.com/page/search-results/?keywords=605777k# Best Clutch I have ever used

StarTech

StarTech

The problem is the OP is in Australia and not US based so his sources are quite different than our US base sources. Also exchange rates and other fees at considerable amount to the costs.

For me I would be replacing with the original Warner clutch as is a lower then the Xtreme clutch if the customer didn't want to upgrade.
1697460509773.png
1697460604110.png

M

Mad_mat222

The problem is I would rather pay $50 to replace a pulley than $700 for a complete assembly. Just seems a waster of money to replace something that isn’t broken. Kind of like buying a new engine because the harmonic balancer is shot.

So if anyone knows where I could source a pulley would be much appreciated. Surely there is a manufacturer out there.

StarTech

StarTech

Well you can just replace the pulley as it riveted to the armature leaf springs which are in turn riveted to the armature. So the pulley, leaf springs, and armature must be replaced as a set.
1697490281151.png

M

Mad_mat222

Are you sure about that? I thought it was a press fit onto the shaft. The riveted sections were part of the clutch assembly. The pulley is not part of the clutch and is only connected via the shaft.

That diagram is misleading. Have a look at an actual assembly like the Warner clutch. Nothing attached to the pulley.

StarTech

StarTech

Where in the hell you think I got the diagram for 5219 series clutch from? The info came from Warner themselves. And yes I know how they are constructed or at least I should after replacing near 100 of them.

I actual run my own repair shop and have ever since 2009 repairing all type of lawn care equipment. I am not just some DIYer or Youtube hack.1697491079209.png

M

MParr

Are you sure about that? I thought it was a press fit onto the shaft. The riveted sections were part of the clutch assembly. The pulley is not part of the clutch and is only connected via the shaft.

That diagram is misleading. Have a look at an actual assembly like the Warner clutch. Nothing attached to the pulley.
Trust these guys. They know what they are talking about.

H

hlw49

Yes he is sure about that. Never seen anyone suppy parts for the clutch. Other than there are a few that have replacable bearings. Really something when so novice comes in and argues with the pros here

B

bertsmobile1

IT may be possible but then where are you going to get a deep pulley to fit ?
IT is made specifically for Warner in the USA ( Well probably Mexico or China ) and if you do no know the supplier and their part number you are up that famous creek in the barbed wire canoe without a paddle and they probably will only sell them in lots of a few thousand .
It is a 2 piece metal pressing welded together then held to the driven plate by 3 ( some times 4 ) high tensile hot set rivets.
A big job if you do not have the custom tooling to do it with .
The hub is offset and a larger diameter to take the bearing
You might be able to get one turned up from a slug of aluminium or steel but at 7.5" outer diameter it is going to be a lot of turning
Or in theory you could buy a steel or cast iron pulley cut the hub out , weld a new one in then rivet it to the sliding plate but by the time you have finished you will probably have spent more than a replacement
I have spent thousands of hours just trying to find local suppliers of flat & V idler pulleys .
The burning question is what is wrong with your pulley ?
Got a couple with stuffed bearings that I have kept on the delusion of replacing the bearings when I have time

B

bertsmobile1

The driven plate of the clutch attaches to the pulley at the engine end and the lower bearing at the other end which of course is bolted to the PTO shaft

StarTech

StarTech

Okay here is 5219-20 clutch fully disassembled except removing rivets. Same clutch assy as the OP Hustler clutch just a different pulley.
1697557054372.png
D adpator, pulley and attached armature, rotor, and coil with its housing. This as far you can go unless you drill out the rivets.
Even the bearings are non removable.

M

Mad_mat222

Thanks Startech. Looks like I’m replacing the whole lot. What a waste. Not practical to machine one up. I contacted Warner and they said they cant supply it seperate.

B

bertsmobile1

Did you expect any thing different ?
a magneto coil is around $ 5
The Hall effect trigger is around $ 10 as a stand alone item and the actual cost is about 60¢
Stick the chip inside the coil potting mix and it becomes an $ 50 module .
Mower coils almost never ever burn out but the chips do bad so for the need of a 50¢ chip I replace at least 30 $ 50 + modules a year .

StarTech

StarTech

Boy Bert are you out in left field? Two totally different things; although, these PTO clutches do use a huge electro-magnet doughnut but no chips except the maybe a diode for anti electro magnet kickback.

When the bearings went on the one I took apart the doughnut is what got taken out with exposed windings being rub and shorting out on the rotor.

M

Mad_mat222

I think he was just making a point.

A

aussielawny

All Mower Spares have gone into recievership/liquidation, they were absolutely hopeless....maybe try OutdoorKing in Sydney

B

bertsmobile1

All Mower Spares have gone into recievership/liquidation, they were absolutely hopeless....maybe try OutdoorKing in Sydney
I am not surprised . Down side is they have a lot of my money so I better get onto my lawyer quick smart .
All Mowers were part of McCarthur Mowers so they may have gone down as well .
McCarthur were pathetic service and spares wise as well .
There is another mob at Riverstone and Bruce in concord ( Outdoor King )
In a week I am of for a month to recoperate where I am not tempted to pull a starting rope and undo all the nice work the doctors did.
RGS have the slightly different sized pulley in stock in their Brisbane warehouse .
Rough idea where you are ?

M

Mad_mat222

I’ll probably order direct from Warner once the dollar improves.

StarTech

StarTech

You might be dead by the time that happens. The US government is currently at a complete standstill in Congress and we are probably headed a for complete shutdown.

B

bertsmobile1

I’ll probably order direct from Warner once the dollar improves.
Last time I tried that the freight was $ 55 US
Bruce buys his parts from the same wholesalers as I do plus some direct from the franchise agents as of course he buys a lot more than me
HE is usually very helpful but some times needs a little nudge in the right direction
So if he says that he can not get the right clutch let him know some clown on the internet said RGS have one with a slightly larger pulley .
Most parts suppliers simply look up a cross chart to see what aftermarket part is an exact replacemet for your part.
Warner do have an Australian agent but that does not mean they will have your clutch but they will get one in with their next order but it will have to be ordered through one of their account holders
Some times it is a bummer to live in the white pimple on the brown bum of the planet
I can not help you now as it would take 3 days from ordering for it to get to RGS warehouse in Moorebank and I leave Monday

Good thing is unless we get some more rain there will be nothing to mow on the east coast .

M

Mad_mat222

Last time I tried that the freight was $ 55 US
Bruce buys his parts from the same wholesalers as I do plus some direct from the franchise agents as of course he buys a lot more than me
HE is usually very helpful but some times needs a little nudge in the right direction
So if he says that he can not get the right clutch let him know some clown on the internet said RGS have one with a slightly larger pulley .
Most parts suppliers simply look up a cross chart to see what aftermarket part is an exact replacemet for your part.
Warner do have an Australian agent but that does not mean they will have your clutch but they will get one in with their next order but it will have to be ordered through one of their account holders
Some times it is a bummer to live in the white pimple on the brown bum of the planet
I can not help you now as it would take 3 days from ordering for it to get to RGS warehouse in Moorebank and I leave Monday

Good thing is unless we get some more rain there will be nothing to mow on the east coast .
I’m doing the preseason maintenance now. Deck is stripped. Going to paint it. Also modify the tension idler. I’m putting in a bearing instead of the bolt and bush which just gets pulled through the deck. I think the unit I have put in may be a little on the light side but will see. Few cracks to weld up and tyres to change.

That clutch I will order direct from the states and even with freight it’s still $200 cheaper than I was quoted here.

I'm gonna be starting to do my end of season mow equipment services. Doing hydros fluid & filters & all the other stuff as well.
We are in a drought so grass went dormant ( Not complaining)...

B

bertsmobile1

I’m doing the preseason maintenance now. Deck is stripped. Going to paint it. Also modify the tension idler. I’m putting in a bearing instead of the bolt and bush which just gets pulled through the deck. I think the unit I have put in may be a little on the light side but will see. Few cracks to weld up and tyres to change.

That clutch I will order direct from the states and even with freight it’s still $200 cheaper than I was quoted here.
I usually get US orders from Jack Small Engines or Messeks or K & C .
All of which have been very good to me over the years , Jackes especially as they often warn me thatmy order has gone into the next freight charge so ask if I want to split it or add some more ( I usually add more ) to amotise the freight charge over more parts .
I tried Pro Parts Direct because Taryl flogs them all the time but they really did not want to export to OZ
And watch the AU<>US rates becaue most credit cards add a substantial margin for themselves 3% to 6% and at 62¢ that adds up quickly .
I use a travel cash card ( bought from the Post Office ) to convert $ AUS to $ US as they give the best rates and I can actually play at being a currency trader
So you convert your $ Aus to $ US when the rate is favourable then pay them with the travel card .
I bought a $ 5000 Aus card , topped it up 3 times before it expired .
Done that way I never see a GST charge on my goods .
Payed with any Aust credit card or Pay Pal then everything including freight is shown + 10% GST.
IT is just a shame that there are way too many exclusive franchise holders in OZ trying to make way too much money from way too little turn over
And there is a cosy cartel of a 1/2 dozen Melbourne families who seem to control the lot .