benaford

Threads
First thing is to check for spark and if you have spark, then do a compression test (do these before you put any money into it).....I've owned a zero turn Husky for seven years, with the Koehler engine....Great machine!
I hadn't thought about the compression test. What does that involve?

benaford

Threads
I read thru the posts and didn't see one thing to check - maybe I missed it... But I always like to check the simple things first. You said it used to start but then stopped starting at all. Did you check he safety switch on the seat? Never know... Timing is another thing.

If you have gas and spark, it should fire - especially with a shot of fluid. With a little gas in the hole you are bypassing he carb - at least to see that it trys to fire. Sputter or whatever. You have to get that far before you need to buy a new carb.

This is a fun thread - when you get the problem solved, it would be fun to read what you did.
If the safety switch is bad, will the starter engage at all? I'm not sure where it breaks the circuit.

benaford

Threads
Weekend update - using the repair kit I ordered, I was able to drill out the bad starter bolt threads, put in new inserts and mount up the starter. I'm still waiting on the new fuel pump an vacuum tube, but I dropped in my old battery and put some fuel in the tank for a test fire. The starter spun the engine, but would hang up before completing one full revolution. I remembered reading somewhere about someone else who had a battery that was showing good voltage but was not strong enough to crank. I added a jump starter and the starter turned the engine over. Guess the battery is bad after all. At least now I know that the starter does work. Also, I pulled the spark plugs and laid them on the engine - I could definitely see the spark. I sprayed starter fluid into the intake to see if it would fire up, but had no luck with that. Ran out of time to do any more work this weekend, but I'll install the new fuel pump, vacuum tube and buy a new battery this week and keep working my way through the process.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread - here's hoping I get somewhere with this soon.

davis2

Threads
I thought I was a tight wad when it comes to fix'n stuff that's beyond any reasonable hope, but you have just topped me.
Bite the bullet dude, save yourself a lotta time and anguish. Simply upgrade to a NEW mower, 'cause I've been there, done that....
Ummm... You do understand that this thread is about REPAIRING lawn equipment???

Timtoo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Weekend update - using the repair kit I ordered, I was able to drill out the bad starter bolt threads, put in new inserts and mount up the starter. I'm still waiting on the new fuel pump an vacuum tube, but I dropped in my old battery and put some fuel in the tank for a test fire. The starter spun the engine, but would hang up before completing one full revolution. I remembered reading somewhere about someone else who had a battery that was showing good voltage but was not strong enough to crank. I added a jump starter and the starter turned the engine over. Guess the battery is bad after all. At least now I know that the starter does work. Also, I pulled the spark plugs and laid them on the engine - I could definitely see the spark. I sprayed starter fluid into the intake to see if it would fire up, but had no luck with that. Ran out of time to do any more work this weekend, but I'll install the new fuel pump, vacuum tube and buy a new battery this week and keep working my way through the process.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread - here's hoping I get somewhere with this soon.
I have been following the thread and agree that timing could be your problem with the no-start. Unless I missed it, you never said that you removed the flywheel and checked the key to be sure it wasn't sheered. Have you done this?

woodstover

Threads
Compression test and since you had the valve covers off, should be checking the clearances and adjusting if necessary.

benaford

Threads
I have been following the thread and agree that timing could be your problem with the no-start. Unless I missed it, you never said that you removed the flywheel and checked the key to be sure it wasn't sheered. Have you done this?
No, I did not remove the flywheel.

smoothmower

Forum Newbie
Threads

I have the same mower and find it does a fantastic cut without accumulating clippings inside the mower deck, easy clean with a leaf blower. Got it without engine and installed a Vanguard 16 hp twin, then gave her a makeup paint. My pictures were too big for the server to process, sorry. If your engine is kaput (do a compression test), the mower is well worth to repower. The 16 hp vanguard twin, inexpensive and ubiquitous, did just fine for me. Use a thin hose to siphon the tranny oil, refill with tractor oil (walmart) and the tranny will reward you with a smooth ride that does not steal power from the mowing deck. Aliexpress has new carburetors for your 23 hp under 35 bucks, coils at 15 bucks and other needs for cheap.

smoothmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same mower and find it does a fantastic cut without accumulating clippings inside the mower deck, easy clean with a leaf blower. Got it without engine and installed a Vanguard 16 hp twin, then gave her a makeup paint. The hood came from a craftsman mower. If your engine is kaput (do a compression test, Temu has the tester kit for under 20 bucks), the mower is well worth to repower. The 16 hp vanguard twin, inexpensive and ubiquitous, did just fine for me, larger engines are triple the price. Use a thin hose to siphon the tranny oil, refill with tractor oil (walmart) and the tranny will reward you with a smooth ride that does not steal power from the mowing deck. Aliexpress has new carburetors for your 23 hp under 35 bucks, coils at 15 bucks and other needs for cheap.
20240523_084200.jpg