Honda HRR Models: Rear Wheels Locking Up When Pulling Backwards

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Honda HRR Models: Rear Wheels Locking Up When Pulling Backwards
Dry Lithium chassis grease and regular cleaning is what all of my commercial customers use/\.
IT is a routine maintenance job required one a season , generally at the end of a season.
For the tade customers it is a once a week / month job but their week can be up to 80 hours of mowing.

Briantii

Threads
Dry Lithium chassis grease and regular cleaning is what all of my commercial customers use/\.
IT is a routine maintenance job required one a season , generally at the end of a season.
For the tade customers it is a once a week / month job but their week can be up to 80 hours of mowing.

Dont the HRC commercial mowers use a different setup with multiple dust seals? I haven’t tried dry lithium grease.

Reactions: de3

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mostly the locals use domestics or the old 3 speed 21"
The new commercials are way too heavy to high & cumbersome to use .
Some are now going back to Super Swifts & tying the new Toros but again the "anti idiot " multi bail set up makes the Toros a pain to use all day long unless you have a 10" log hand .
I can understand all this useless rubbish on domestic mowers that get used by idiot home owners but on a professional it is stupid.
The ownus is on the employer to properly train their employees not on Honda to make an impossible to hurt yourself with mower.
And of course down here workers compensation insurance is compulsory as is safety training .
I do fit snorkels to most of them if they have the pannel filter and that is about it .
we get slightly different mowers than the USA which found out when ordering parts off USA IPL's

greystone

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it's BAD and you just don't want it to seize up - I'd take it apart, clean, and put it back together with graphite powder / or a little regular grease. If you can still get it to pull back on concrete reasonably well you probably don't NEED to touch it.

Thanks for that, it's due for an oil change so I'll flip it over and give a clean. I really like the mower apart from this issue.

Briantii

Threads
Thanks for that, it's due for an oil change so I'll flip it over and give a clean. I really like the mower apart from this issue.

No problem - I've got the same struggle - I love the mower minus this issue. I can tell you it's AWESOME right now with the needle bearings, so if they hold up it's worth the effort. I'll update mid season. Good luck!

de3

Threads
Dont the HRC commercial mowers use a different setup with multiple dust seals? I haven’t tried dry lithium grease.
Yes the HRC Is a different and much better setup

Yert3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is this a known problem with the HRN models too? I’m interested in purchasing one soon, but after reading all this, I’m kind of worried.

Briantii

Threads
Is this a known problem with the HRN models too? I’m interested in purchasing one soon, but after reading all this, I’m kind of worried.

The HRN looks like a completely new design from looking at the parts diagram with one of the stated improvements being "easier to pull backwards". As to if it's truly solved - I don't think anyone KNOWS for sure yet. My suspicion is that they've fixed it and I'd personally consider buying one.

Torak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I may have to try one of those if the graphite powder doesn’t hold up. I’ll update the thread when I know. In a year if graphite still works I’ll sing it’s praises here.

This design is just so infuriating. It’s literally the only part of this mower that’s substandard. I can’t help but wonder how hard it’d be to machine the adjusters to accept a standard ball bearing. Looks like all current non-commercial models use the same design. I guess as always if you want the good stuff gotta pay for commercial grade, though my yard really shouldn’t need it. And I agree, half the brand new ones are hard to pull backwards too.... insane.
So quick update. 2 - 3 hours in on ONLY cleaning and re-lubing with powdered graphite and we're sticking again when hot. Guess it's new adjuster / bushing time. I wonder if Amazon has a "Subscribe and Save" option for adjusters / bushings... I swear it's an annual deal it seems. SO ANNOYING.

You right, seems every year it's back to the same problem. So, what I have done is to order the new adjusters with the bushings. This was supposed to be the new and better solution. Well was okay for one season, now back to a tear down, cleaning up the shaft, but instead of any kind of grease this time I'm trying some door lock lube spray. Is in a liquid form. Will see!

Briantii

Threads
You right, seems every year it's back to the same problem. So, what I have done is to order the new adjusters with the bushings. This was supposed to be the new and better solution. Well was okay for one season, now back to a tear down, cleaning up the shaft, but instead of any kind of grease this time I'm trying some door lock lube spray. Is in a liquid form. Will see!

Good luck, the dry lube didn’t do so well for me. Graphite powder was MUCH better than Teflon spray. Teflon spray was really bad. So far the bearing conversion is still doing awesome on mine. Zero maintenance and better than new. Only about 10 mows so far, but before it was going down hill by 3 or 4.