Honda HRR Models: Rear Wheels Locking Up When Pulling Backwards

gotomow

Threads
  • / Honda HRR Models: Rear Wheels Locking Up When Pulling Backwards
I've got to be careful though because my driveway is on a slight angle. The honda, pointing uphill would stay put. The Toro will fly down, lol. It actually rolls backwards!!

Briantii

Threads
I've got to be careful though because my driveway is on a slight angle. The honda, pointing uphill would stay put. The Toro will fly down, lol. It actually rolls backwards!!

It's nice isn't it? Believe it or not, with the needle bearings and extra dust seal my Honda will roll backwards too - even on grass! It's like a totally different mower. So far almost a full season and it's perfect without touching it. As long as it stays good I'll stick with it... but that Toro was looking mighty tempting this time last year.

mikered30

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all,

Joined this forum to share my frustration. I have a 3.5 year old HRR216. Had all the classic symptoms of the failed bushings on the adjuster arm per the honda bulletin. Bought new adjuster arms (with the paint dot from honda dealer), polished axle really well, greased it up, and everything was great for about 5 mowings until the rear wheel started to lock up again after about 40 min of mowing. Search online, possibly could have been an issue with the transmission belt or the keys, so I replaced them and I still have the issue. After about 20 mins of mowing, the resistance on pulling back the mower is noticeably increased. After 40 min, wheels lock, so frustrated with this POS. After I they locked up the last time, I checked the axle. Where it went into the transmission it was a bit warm, along with the transmission, but where the axle went into the adjuster arm, the axle was hot to the touch, couldn't touch it for more than 4 seconds before it was uncomfortable to the touch. This was true for both adjusters, which were also hot to the touch. Obviously friction is causing the heat but I have no idea why if they are greased and have the revised adjuster arm. It is likely shorting the life of the transmission, because I have to push down further on the paddles when I want to go forward after 20 minutes. Was there any solution to this issue? So frustrated and over this mower.

Briantii

Threads
Hey all,

Joined this forum to share my frustration. I have a 3.5 year old HRR216. Had all the classic symptoms of the failed bushings on the adjuster arm per the honda bulletin. Bought new adjuster arms (with the paint dot from honda dealer), polished axle really well, greased it up, and everything was great for about 5 mowings until the rear wheel started to lock up again after about 40 min of mowing. Search online, possibly could have been an issue with the transmission belt or the keys, so I replaced them and I still have the issue. After about 20 mins of mowing, the resistance on pulling back the mower is noticeably increased. After 40 min, wheels lock, so frustrated with this POS. After I they locked up the last time, I checked the axle. Where it went into the transmission it was a bit warm, along with the transmission, but where the axle went into the adjuster arm, the axle was hot to the touch, couldn't touch it for more than 4 seconds before it was uncomfortable to the touch. This was true for both adjusters, which were also hot to the touch. Obviously friction is causing the heat but I have no idea why if they are greased and have the revised adjuster arm. It is likely shorting the life of the transmission, because I have to push down further on the paddles when I want to go forward after 20 minutes. Was there any solution to this issue? So frustrated and over this mower.

Its dust in the adjusters. It comes in around the wheel side and gear housing. The design is flawed. Clean them out again and glue / epoxy additional rubber dust seals to the wheel side too of the adjuster. You can also upgrade the bushings from plastic to oilite bronze. Do not use needle bearings like I did - they worked at the expense of the drive shaft.

Ive been through it all. Started a thread even on how to modify these things to fix it and the biggest win is getting those additional seals there. Your problem is just like mine and you probably have bare spots in your yard that kick up a bunch of dust. Yes, Honda was stupid enough to build a sys that cannot handle it.

My modifications worked for a while until a dust seal failed and let grit in again. Like you I got sick of messing with it. Ended just buying an HRX217HYA - which does work a lot better.

Ultimately you can fix it and have it hold up great if you’re willing. See this thread for all the info:

mikered30

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its dust in the adjusters. It comes in around the wheel side and gear housing. The design is flawed. Clean them out again and glue / epoxy additional rubber dust seals to the wheel side too of the adjuster. You can also upgrade the bushings from plastic to oilite bronze. Do not use needle bearings like I did - they worked at the expense of the drive shaft.

Ive been through it all. Started a thread even on how to modify these things to fix it and the biggest win is getting those additional seals there. Your problem is just like mine and you probably have bare spots in your yard that kick up a bunch of dust. Yes, Honda was stupid enough to build a sys that cannot handle it.

My modifications worked for a while until a dust seal failed and let grit in again. Like you I got sick of messing with it. Ended just buying an HRX217HYA - which does work a lot better.

Ultimately you can fix it and have it hold up great if you’re willing. See this thread for all the info:

Thanks for that fast response. I will look into the additional dust seals. I just looked at the HRX217HYA, it has great reviews but it is up to $1000.

Briantii

Threads
Thanks for that fast response. I will look into the additional dust seals. I just looked at the HRX217HYA, it has great reviews but it is up to $1000.

No problem at all. I wasn’t suggesting a new mower as the fix, just that I’ve been down this road a lot. The extra dust seal and new bushings ( since yours have probably been damaged already ) should be realy all you need. I was just sick of messing with mine, especially since on mine I was going to need another new transmission since my needle bearings wore down the driveshaft.

fullboogie

Threads
I've had it with mine. Twice a year I have to break everything down, clean/grease, and it works for a few months. I have the "new" adjusters and it didn't help for very long. I guess I'm throwing it in the dumpster and buying an HRN. It's a shame, because otherwise it's been a good machine.

Briantii

Threads
I've had it with mine. Twice a year I have to break everything down, clean/grease, and it works for a few months. I have the "new" adjusters and it didn't help for very long. I guess I'm throwing it in the dumpster and buying an HRN. It's a shame, because otherwise it's been a good machine.

Im with you and I must say the HRX with the hydro drive seems way smoother and no issues pulling backwards. The HRN is supposed to have fixes too.

If you’re willing to give it one last shot, you can try adding the dust seals to the wheel side of the adjuster. A lot of folks here are reporting success with that - especially with the oilite bronze bushings.

I totally understand you though. After this last time with mine I just bought an HRX. I will say, I still prefer the controls on the HRR though.

TobyU

Threads
They've been doing this for years.
About year 2-3 they get a little harder to pull back. Varies by use parameters and treatment.
- you people who want to keep mowers clean should put the garden hose away and keep water AWAY from your mowers!
Lots of rusty axles and worn parts from getting them wet.

I always lube the shafts on every one but if I get a harder to pull back one, I
often take rear wheels off and blow everything off really well and use Lucas Chain Lube (the stuff will change your life!) behind the gears and in that little groove/slot in that plate are there.
Then I put else back on and rotate them each back and forth a few turns then flip it on each side for a few seconds and spray the axle shaft on the wheel that's on the button by ground so the lube can drain into the bushing from the back toward the gear.
I spin the wheels back and forth as I do this .

Then sit mower back upright and push and pull back.
Then go in left zero turn mode keeping left wheel just sitting there but right rolling around as you push in tight circle.
Then go to right.

This concludes the "make Honda pull backwards better" portion of the service.

Flyingdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Even though I have a HRX, I'm sure this relates to other Hondas'. Something one can check if all else fails. I was getting a lotta lock-up on "one" side. Took things apart and noticed, the slot that the ratcheting key & spring sits in didn't have square edges, anymore. Over time, apparently the key starts to bevel the edges..letting the ratcheting key slip out of it's slot. Locking the wheel from turning backwards, but still goes forward. Anyways, kinda involved, but can be done. I welded few dollops of bead on these beveled edges. Filed them flush with the axle and happened to have a dremel metal cutting drum that was the exact size of the slot and clean up/squared off the inside edges. Pretty much a pita route, but does work, if your looking for something to do and don't wanna throw your mower off a cliff yet. Probly another one of those "cost-saving" measures, using soft steel for the axle, Honda decided to use. What's new..eh?

Oh yea...wanted to mention, did this bout three years ago.. last time I had this apart for some cleaning, notice these welded edges were still well defined. Haven't had a bit of trouble since (I.E: no lock-up). Hopefully that was my problem.

Last edited: