Honda HRR Models: Rear Wheels Locking Up When Pulling Backwards

Gatafly

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRR Models: Rear Wheels Locking Up When Pulling Backwards
I had my mower parts replaced and after 2 weeks it still won't pull backwards..........I bought a Toro that always works.

I did too, but also because it burns oil and Honda won't do anything even under warranty. Love my Toro, better self propel, lighter and easier to mow with and doesn't leave built up grass by the left rear wheel if mowing gets delayed a couple days because of rain.

jahn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did too, but also because it burns oil and Honda won't do anything even under warranty. Love my Toro, better self propel, lighter and easier to mow with and doesn't leave built up grass by the left rear wheel if mowing gets delayed a couple days because of rain.

Don't get any better than a Toro........my last one which I used for 15 years, I just gave it to my brother and like a Timex it takes a lickin' & keeps on tickin'...... :)

DUSlider

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just to update on my mower. Still no issues with the original problem, however one of the rear wheel height adjuster handles broke while I was mowing today, unexpectedly. So it looks like I'll get to see how that bearing and the axle is holding up on that side. Now to order the replacement part.

Mow'N Weeds

Threads
Don't get any better than a Toro........my last one which I used for 15 years, I just gave it to my brother and like a Timex it takes a lickin' & keeps on tickin'...... :)
I see 'em free with issues on local CL almost daily, lol. Usually the 6.5 Tecumseh models. As soon as they go up, someone is on 'em. I've only scored one and honestly I didn't even really want it, I was just getting irritated about not getting the ones I wanted to so when that one came up near me I ran to get it just to piss everyone else off, lol!

Briantii

Threads
Hey guys just an update on the zerk fittings. They work, but I still was getting enough gunk build up in the adjusters that eventually more grease would just push the dust seal out. If you're going to do it, I'd suggest getting an extra dust seal for the inside of the wheel and epoxying the dust seals - it may require trimming the bushing to make enough room for 2 dust seals.

I started a new thread showing my latest experiment - converting to bearings.

https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/show...wer-Backwards-HRR216VLA-to-bearing-conversion

Frankly I'm about done trying to re-engineer Honda's mistakes on this stuff. I may go Honda Commercial or Toro if this doesn't work.

tudiu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
I am new to this website. I've been following this thread for the last few days because I had the same problem with my Honda HRR2169VLA.
After watching many youtube clips, I cleaned the drive shaft and bushings but my problem is not fixed. I was convinced that it is something else other then the rusted drive shaft or undersized bushing which was mentioned in the technical bulletin #107 per Honda.
What I found on my mower was the V-belt (drive belt if you will) was installed incorrectly. Not sure if it was by the factory or it just jumped of the guide. See the photo:2019-10-18 20.12.00.jpg
The belt should not be on top of the metal guide. it should be under. See photo:2019-10-18 20.13.48.jpg.
After I moved it to the other side of the metal guide, it fixed my problem.
While you are working on it, inspect the drive belt, it may be damaged too.2019-10-18 20.21.41.jpg
I am not planning to replace the belt. I will see how it runs. I was almost order the bushings and the adjuster arms. But I found this and I stopped the order.
I was able to pull it backward now easily. Should have some friction, but not much compares to before I fix it.
Not sure if your problem is the same, but it worths to check.
Oh, BTW, I also used Lithium grease to lub the bushings.
I am planning to make a youtube video to show the fix.
If anyone need more info or questions, feel free to email me.

Attachments

• 2019-10-18 20.21.56.jpg
    2019-10-18 20.21.56.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

greystone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking to resolve this issue with my mower, are parts 42930-vg3-b01 and 42940-vg3-b01 all I need? It looks like the drive shaft bushing (44327-VE2-801) is included in the bracket? I saw people mentioning four bushings, don't want to get int there and be missing parts.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2020-04-02_11-43-18.jpg
    2020-04-02_11-43-18.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 20

Briantii

Threads
Looking to resolve this issue with my mower, are parts 42930-vg3-b01 and 42940-vg3-b01 all I need? It looks like the drive shaft bushing (44327-VE2-801) is included in the bracket? I saw people mentioning four bushings, don't want to get int there and be missing parts.

Thanks.

Yes that's all you need, but the bad news is that there really isn't a "solution" from Honda except potentially upgrading to the new HRN models where they redesigned it. It's a fatal design flaw and if you operate it in a dusty environment you'll get a few mows before it's jammed up again. You might make it a season on average. I've been experimenting with trying to solve it by replacing the bushings with needle bearings and adding another dust seal on the wheel side. So far this has been working perfectly for me but I don't have a lot of mows through it yet... but I can tell you so far it rolls backward much smoother than with new Honda parts. It's like a whole new different mower - and in a good way.

Here are the details on what I've been trying with promising results so far. My model was a typo though - it's a VYA not VLA.

greystone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the update, I started getting that vibe with the bad reviews on Amazon reporting the issue returned. Doesn't seem like it's worth the cost and hassle, what a nuisance. Fortunately I don't have to reverse mine too often.

Briantii

Threads
Thanks for the update, I started getting that vibe with the bad reviews on Amazon reporting the issue returned. Doesn't seem like it's worth the cost and hassle, what a nuisance. Fortunately I don't have to reverse mine too often.

The only thing I'd caution you on is that the drag you feel pulling backwards is also what the transmission "feels" going forward... so if it's nearly impossible to roll backwards (such as on concrete) you probably want to fix it. I actually overheated and seized my transmission or bushings solid for a few minutes mine was so bad (and insanely hot) one time. You don't really need to buy new components - you'll accomplish about the same thing taking it apart and just cleaning them out - they'll be packed full of dirt / grime.

Other things I've tried:

- Teflon Spray - this was the worst option.

- Graphite - This is a decent option, but still not great

- Installed zerk fittings to push new grease into the bushings - This worked but eventually still got so caked up that the new grease just didn't want to push in there... plus high maintenance.

- Regular grease - This is a decent option

If it's BAD and you just don't want it to seize up - I'd take it apart, clean, and put it back together with graphite powder / or a little regular grease. If you can still get it to pull back on concrete reasonably well you probably don't NEED to touch it.