Holy Smokes Stihl's prices.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
16 inch chain is $36.95
Got to be carefully on chains. As it depends what bar specs are. Oregon and Sabre chains are around $30 retail for this saw. Just be thankful that you are not wanting a carbide tipped chain. They are about 5X the price or more. I paid $140 cost for a 18" 3/8lp chain about 6 yrs ago.

There is pitch, gauge, tooth style, and DL count. Also the Stihl bar is most likely shorter than labeled. Several I installed were nearly an inch shorter what they claimed if you measure as they show how to measure them.

But anyways the 16" MS271 appears to use the .325 .063 67DL BNC setup which can be either semi chisel or chisel tooth. Then of there is a safety version or Pro version. There is also a few other options but they are not common. Like ripping vs crosscut chains.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got to be carefully on chains. As it depends what bar specs are. Oregon and Sabre chains are around $30 retail for this saw. Just be thankful that you are not wanting a carbide tipped chain. They are about 5X the price or more. I paid $140 cost for a 18" 3/8lp chain about 6 yrs ago.

There is pitch, gauge, tooth style, and DL count. Also the Stihl bar is most likely shorter than labeled. Several I installed were nearly an inch shorter what they claimed if you measure as they show how to measure them.

But anyways the 16" MS271 appears to use the .325 .063 67DL BNC setup which can be either semi chisel or chisel tooth. Then of there is a safety version or Pro version. There is also a few other options but they are not common. Like ripping vs crosscut chains.

Chainsaw chains and bars is something I really need to study up on. I don't even stock them, sell them or even sharpen them. I can sharpen them. I've always sharpened my own. And done a few for customers. But only very few.

My MS271 came with a 20" bar.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was just checking out the carburetor on this model. $65 for a OEM. Not bad. But those adjustments look like they take a tool I don't have.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has the metal caps you need to remove to adjust the carb.
If you are going to service chainsaws you really need to study up on chains and get real chain grinder. One issue you will have is that finding parts lists for most saws. A good way to get some good saw knowledge is to buy one of the stihl clone kits from HL supply and spend some Utube time learning and putting it together. A box of parts with no directions.

On the side of the bar will be markings telling pitch, gauge and drive links. Probably a semi chisel safety chain. Which i hate.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those are pinned limiter caps that can only be turned like 1/4 turn with a straight screwdriver. Kind of like the original plastic limiter caps that you would pop off and press back on. Except in this case the limiter caps are metal and steel pinned in.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has the metal caps you need to remove to adjust the carb.
If you are going to service chainsaws you really need to study up on chains and get real chain grinder. One issue you will have is that finding parts lists for most saws. A good way to get some good saw knowledge is to buy one of the stihl clone kits from HL supply and spend some Utube time learning and putting it together. A box of parts with no directions.

On the side of the bar will be markings telling pitch, gauge and drive links. Probably a semi chisel safety chain. Which i hate.

I was looking for markings on my 08S, but didn't see any. .

As far as servicing saws, 99% of my customers have only had carburetor problems. Or a bad bearing. I did a crank seal last year.
But you are correct. I'm in an area that's heavily populated with loggers and firewood guys. So I'm going to have to learn more about them.
My 08S and my MS 180C are about to go on my bench and get my full attention.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

As far as servicing saws, 99% of my customers have only had carburetor problems. Or a bad bearing. I did a crank seal last year.
But you are correct. I'm in an area that's heavily populated with loggers and firewood guys. So I'm going to have to learn more about them.
I picked up a trick from a riding pal
He put a dozen hooks on his side fence so his timber contractors ( mostly carpenters ) can drop them off onto their peg he sharpens them then returns them to their hook so they can pick them up when they pass very early in the morning.
I do the same thing and it works a treat although I only have 4 who get me to sharpen a lot of chains
Good Saw that 08s

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I hand sharpen chains for years until I ran into 8 chains took at least 8 new files out and left me with blisters. I now use an Oregon chain grinder but started with what turned out to be a piece of junk chain grinder sold by HFT. Just after a few months it was so sloppy I was having finish the chains by hand. When I got my Oregon grinder, the HFT one went into the trash after I took it apart.

Now using a chain grinder does have a learning curve as manufacture and chain style has different grinding profiles. But most are either 55/30/0 or 55/25/0. Some OEM chain specs wanting a 10 degree down angle but you can use the zero down angle. And depth gauges also need to check after all the cutters are done. Now on a rare occasion I do get rip chains which are usually done 55/10/0.

The main problem with grinder sharpen is the sharper operator tries to go too fast or take off too much at once. When they do they blue the cutters and harden so much that no one can hand sharpen the chains later.

Now the grinder will a slight flake burr on LH cutters which cause by the stone only turning one way. Most of that comes when the chain first touches wood. There are some more expensive units that have reverse grinding mode. About any these grinder can have a reverse added if you know how and don't modifying the electrical as the motor is a DC motor. It more a safety issue as to why most don't have reverse just something breaks off.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads

You got an 08S? I would clean that thing up and make it a wall hanger.