Hibernation is about over.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am a social outcast...No Facebook, Twitter, or other sites like them, just forums like this one. I don't even have a cell phone any more as they don't work here without a repeater. I might one here so my customers can use their phone here.

Since moving to another state, way out into the country, and doing this from home now, I really don't have a lot of choice, unless I want to spend money on advertising. FB ads are cheap cheap. And will only target a certain area. Like 20 miles from my location, 50 miles and all the way up to world wide, if I wanted.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
My best advertising is my brother in law who runs the euchre games at the local senior citizen center. I gave him a stack of business cards. Gotten lots of customers from him. My second best "sales agent" is a friend that advertises me at his church. Lots of business from there.
Time to go to in and get a cold one. Just finished fighting with some new 13x6x6 4 ply tires. Weird thing is it is a ToyBilt TB30. Cust says never did anything to the front tires. Had one split out the entire sidewall and both tires had tubes in them. Has any of you guys seen a troybilt rider with tubes in the tires from the factory?

I've always had a business FB account and it's brought me a lot of work. Even when I had the shop in town, there were FB customers who rarely went to that side of town and didn't even know I was open.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Since moving to another state, way out into the country, and doing this from home now, I really don't have a lot of choice, unless I want to spend money on advertising. FB ads are cheap cheap. And will only target a certain area. Like 20 miles from my location, 50 miles and all the way up to world wide, if I wanted.
Personally I have never advertised since the 90's. I found it here was a complete waste of time and money as it only brought in the deadbeat customers. I even had them calling with ridiculous questions. Currently the only advertising that I have business is the sign out front of the shop. Nearly all my new business clients are referrals which is some the best advertising that can be had.

Now I did have a potential new customer stop by yesterday that seen my sign. Some of the questions she was asking very detailed so it appeared she has been burned in the past by small shops. things how long have I been in business, do I warranty my workmanship, how long I have been working on equipment, am I licensed, and finally a question that I have check into. As to if I accept Greenbelt tax exemption. That one I couldn't answer on the spot. Another one was do I offer discounts for seniors (which I do). It takes care the sales tax part of the bill when they are 65 or over.

Now I am 20+ miles from the nearest large town, several smaller towns closer in but none have repair shops other than fly by night shops. I deal with their screw ups all the time. I actually enough parts on hand now that I can sell just parts if needed without having to order everything.

BTW I currently have one guy that thinks $400 is too much to do the following:
  • Replace starter solenoid
  • Replace the bearings in all three spindles
  • Replace all deck idler pulleys
  • Replace both drive belts and idlers pulleys
  • Install one inner tube
  • Replace front wheel bushings
  • Pickup and deliver the mower.
The mower is a 46" 2005 Huskee. Lots of bad bearing noise.

He thinks that is too expensive and I should be doing it for $100. He is nuts.... Currently he owes $75 for replacing the starter solenoid. I done tried to return the mower twice with him missing both appointments. Now he got to arrange his own pickup and return of the mower.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
We need customers but not every customer.
Definitely don't need every customer here either as I just let the other shops deal with the Pita customers. I just need customers that understand to it is partnership between us. I provide a service that they need but have to be also fair about what is charge that makes it a good deal for both sides.

I got one now that if ever comes back for his mower that he will find out that I not dealing with him any more.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Definitely don't need every customer here either as I just let the other shops deal with the Pita customers. I just need customers that understand to it is partnership between us. I provide a service that they need but have to be also fair about what is charge that makes it a good deal for both sides.

I got one now that if ever comes back for his mower that he will find out that I not dealing with him any more.

I dont get many of those but when i do i am nice to them and recommend another guy who is cheaper than me. And sometimes you get what you pay for. Funny thing is the guy who wanted to negotiate the bill and i gave a discount and told him it would be best if he found another shop wanted to bring in another piece of equipment. Sorry but i am booked up till 2025.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
More than once I have put the old parts ( including dirty sump oil ) back onto an ex-customers mower and then told them to pick it up within 7 days or I will donate it to the Mens Shed
And even if they suddenly get a change of heart the story is the same
One of the few real benefits of working for ourself is I can choose who I do work for .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Personally I have never advertised since the 90's. I found it here was a complete waste of time and money as it only brought in the deadbeat customers. I even had them calling with ridiculous questions. Currently the only advertising that I have business is the sign out front of the shop. Nearly all my new business clients are referrals which is some the best advertising that can be had.

Now I did have a potential new customer stop by yesterday that seen my sign. Some of the questions she was asking very detailed so it appeared she has been burned in the past by small shops. things how long have I been in business, do I warranty my workmanship, how long I have been working on equipment, am I licensed, and finally a question that I have check into. As to if I accept Greenbelt tax exemption. That one I couldn't answer on the spot. Another one was do I offer discounts for seniors (which I do). It takes care the sales tax part of the bill when they are 65 or over.

Now I am 20+ miles from the nearest large town, several smaller towns closer in but none have repair shops other than fly by night shops. I deal with their screw ups all the time. I actually enough parts on hand now that I can sell just parts if needed without having to order everything.

BTW I currently have one guy that thinks $400 is too much to do the following:
  • Replace starter solenoid
  • Replace the bearings in all three spindles
  • Replace all deck idler pulleys
  • Replace both drive belts and idlers pulleys
  • Install one inner tube
  • Replace front wheel bushings
  • Pickup and deliver the mower.
The mower is a 46" 2005 Huskee. Lots of bad bearing noise.

He thinks that is too expensive and I should be doing it for $100. He is nuts.... Currently he owes $75 for replacing the starter solenoid. I done tried to return the mower twice with him missing both appointments. Now he got to arrange his own pickup and return of the mower.

When I had my shop in town (the one I just moved from), there was no real need to advertise. I was at the intersection of two state highways coming into town. Right on the main drag, sort of speak. If it hadn't been for my health issues, I would've still been there. And would've probably made a deal with the owner to buy the place. My side of that shop was the right side.
1651072892730.jpeg

My location now, I got like 1 neighbor. I'm about 8 miles from a town that probably doesn't have 2000 people in it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Back to backorder heaven. Needing a belt for a CC but currently out of stock with supplier showing -5 and had a run on a certain chainsaw chain on Thursday so needed to order a role of chain that is currently out of stock at my main supplier or I can order from an alternate supplier that shows it in stock, but don't currently think it is worth paying an extra $100 for the roll.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
What chain ya need? I have a few in stock. I looked into buying rolls of chain and making loops but not financially worth it.