Export thread

Hibernation is about over.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

When winter came this year, I turn into a lazy bum. I crawled out of my cave today with a list of things I was going to get done this week. Opened the door and the cold wind blew me right back into my lazy chair. LOL. Taking a glance at the weather, looks like the temps are going to be in the 30's later this week. So there's another week to get ready to come out of hibernation.

Honestly, I've been taking it easy, doing back exercises, and I think it's a lot better. I've been rolling by spine on a basketball a few times a day. So far so good.

BTW, I got a new desktop and can't remember my password. I finally dug the laptop out that has my passwords stored.

How every doing? Are you ready for spring?

StarTech

StarTech

It been in the 80's here along the AL/TN line. This morning it is in the 40's but that is a cold came through yesterday after the rain. Customers are coming out of the wood works here. I am already running about a week and half behind due mainly to part deliveries. Some projects are actually several weeks in the making due to back ordered parts, others I have the parts on hand. Apparently some of the OEMs didn't even restock over break period. Briggs is still dragging their feet and now Kawasaki is running about two-four weeks behind when my distributor has to order the parts from them. At Stihl is back up to par on orders except those cancelled maintenance kits that are affected by the Ukraine mess.

At least it should dry enough to do some outdoor welding today. I got a deck that some repair welding along beefing part of it that keeps getting damaged by tree roots. A couple new spindles due to owner putting blades on wrong destroying the stars and one has a broken housing.

Now I am blood pressure problems introduced by the doctor changing my meds and refusing to return me to the ones that were working. I am currently on a self imposed crash diet where I eating one very small meal once a day and two coffee cups of liquid. I got BP back down to where it is in the 130-140/80-90 range; unlike the 200/110 range the doctor had gotten me up to with a week after changing my meds. Sometimes I think I can do better than him at keeping my BP under control.

When he changed my meds my weight also shot up from 245 to 258 within a week after starting on the new pills. I now got it back down to back to 245.8 this morning.

With this not wanting to correct his mistake I will need to find a new doctor that will do his job.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I mowed for the first time the other day, not a full mowing, just the back with the pusher. Winter grass and weeds were getting scraggly.
a few blackberries are blooming.

redneck mechinics shop mi

redneck mechinics shop mi

When winter came this year, I turn into a lazy bum. I crawled out of my cave today with a list of things I was going to get done this week. Opened the door and the cold wind blew me right back into my lazy chair. LOL. Taking a glance at the weather, looks like the temps are going to be in the 30's later this week. So there's another week to get ready to come out of hibernation.

Honestly, I've been taking it easy, doing back exercises, and I think it's a lot better. I've been rolling by spine on a basketball a few times a day. So far so good.

BTW, I got a new desktop and can't remember my password. I finally dug the laptop out that has my passwords stored.

no not at all the john deere is messed up

I

ILENGINE

I'm at a point were I have to roll out the old stuff to make room to work on the new stuff, and then get into a waiting on parts pattern and don't have room to store the old stuff or the new stuff. Between backordered parts holding up repairs, or dealing with multi-step repairs meaning you have to get some parts to determine what other parts you need. Everything is full and can't seem to get rid of any of it.

B

bertsmobile1

Glad to hear you are on the mend .
Stay out of that lazy chair & sit on the exercise bike ( best ) or massage chair ( worst ) so you muscles are being challenged .
Second fastest way to kill yourself is to sit around & do nothing .
Still trying to get rid of the 20 lbs I put on in 2020 when I was crook for the year .
I have just come back from the evacuation centre ( waste of time ) as again the water was way short of the workshop.
Going to buy a boat so I can stay here next time.
Now to reset all of the stuff that got switched off when I tripped the main switch .
Last time I forgot the two clock radios in the workshop so in the small hours of the morning I was awakened by the sounds of "intruders" in the workshop so armed with the biggest kitchen knife & strongest ( blinding ) torch I went downstairs to confront them , turned the radio off & went back to bed .
I have to stay in for the next 4 days because the road is closed in both directions

StarTech

StarTech

Bert you probably lose the weight it you go my current BP plan. Doctor change my meds and my BP shot up to over 200/110. I currently only consuming 2 coffee cups of water and one small meal per day. I have already lost over 8 lbs in less than a week which what it shot up within two week on the new meds. That means I have dropped from over 258 to 245 already. Consuming less than 500 calories per day now. I got to admit I tried eating the table leg a couple days as they looked so good.

The doctor is refusing to put me back on the meds that worked. I reckon I got to find a new doctor now. At least the BP is now running around 145/95. Still higher than it should be but much better as the headaches are gone again.

B

bertsmobile1

Well I never got that heavy
currently about 210
Fighting weight is around 180
And as you know the older you get the harder it is to replace the blubber with beef .

M

MParr

Bert you probably lose the weight it you go my current BP plan. Doctor change my meds and my BP shot up to over 200/110. I currently only consuming 2 coffee cups of water and one small meal per day. I have already lost over 8 lbs in less than a week which what it shot up within two week on the new meds. That means I have dropped from over 258 to 245 already. Consuming less than 500 calories per day now. I got to admit I tried eating the table leg a couple days as they looked so good.

The doctor is refusing to put me back on the meds that worked. I reckon I got to find a new doctor now. At least the BP is now running around 145/95. Still higher than it should be but much better as the headaches are gone again.
Don’t get yourself in trouble by not getting enough water.

Water intake daily recommendation for a man is like 96 oz. That's what my DR said is best.

StarTech

StarTech

Water intake daily recommendation for a man is like 96 oz. That's what my DR said is best.
That is heck of a lot water as that is 1-1/2 gallons. Besides my current doctor don't give a hoot about my health since I don't have insurance that he can charge an arm and leg to. And many doctor likes to experiment on us as my doctor have been doing on me. I had find a working way to get my BP under control with the previous med then the jacka change the med and refuses to put me back on the med that was working fine. What I tried to get through to him is that I need a time release med. The BP was shooting way high over night if I take it as prescribe but if I cut the pills in half so I can take twice daily it works out. I even doing the same with the current med.

This morning's BP was 156/95 which still high but better than 225/115. The previous meds had it around 130/90. At least I not hearing the blood rushing through the blood vessels in my ears as it did when was having BP induced strokes.

I done drop nearly 15 lbs in the last two weeks. But those table legs are looking very good lately to eat.:LOL: I actually only consuming around 500 calories a day now so that might explain the weight lost along the low water consumption.

I

ILENGINE

That is heck of a lot water as that is 1-1/2 gallons. Besides my current doctor don't give a hoot about my health since I don't have insurance that he can charge an arm and leg to. And many doctor likes to experiment on us as my doctor have been doing on me. I had find a working way to get my BP under control with the previous med then the jacka change the med and refuses to put me back on the med that was working fine. What I tried to get through to him is that I need a time release med. The BP was shooting way high over night if I take it as prescribe but if I cut the pills in half so I can take twice daily it works out. I even doing the same with the current med.

This morning's BP was 156/95 which still high but better than 225/115. The previous meds had it around 130/90. At least I not hearing the blood rushing through the blood vessels in my ears as it did when was having BP induced strokes.

I done drop nearly 15 lbs in the last two weeks. But those table legs are looking very good lately to eat.:LOL: I actually only consuming around 500 calories a day now so that might explain the weight lost along the low water consumption.
96 oz is three quarters not a 1-1/2 gallon. 128 oz to a gallon.

StarTech

StarTech

96 oz is three quarters not a 1-1/2 gallon. 128 oz to a gallon.
Oppps I was half asleep when I posted that. I probably used half gallon figures.

Tnx for the correction. I reckon that just proves I am just human.

Oh well going out in the ice cold rain to the shop.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I can guarantee one thing, drinking that much water, i wouldn't get any sleep at night...:LOL: up and down, up and down,

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I guess most of us old guys a fighting the BP battle. I am still fighting the COVID 19. Not the virus but the 19 pounds gained over the last couple years. Luckily i am staying caught up on equipment. Stens is back to 2 day delivery and not had too many backorders. Got a car hauler trailer coming in next week and going to do a complete LED light upgrade and replace all wiring and service wheel bearings and brakes and some welding. Should make some good money on that one. Bad thing is i have to put off customers of my other business to get mowers done. Plus starting a kitchen remodel at my sons house. Building new cabinets for it now. Looks like electeical and plumbing gonna be a pain. Have any of you guys raised your shop rate this year? With the price of gas and everything else going up i am considering it.

StarTech

StarTech

Hammer I figured it was good to go on diet but all I manage to do was to hold my own until just lately.

Probably going not to raise my labor rates this year except the welding rate as I did that last year but will charging for the fuel used. Part prices are going up enough as it is to hurt things. My welding rate includes electricity and supplies and they are going up.

Depending on where you are electrical and plumbing can't be done by the home owner. One city in Alabama even had bill board warning owners that couldn't change out a water faucet; unless, it was done by a licensed plumber. What a crock.

D

Daddio7

I live in Florida, we have to get everything done before the summer heat hits. Looks like winter is going out like a lion, they are predicting 28 degrees Sunday morning. I might have jumped the gun with my spring planting, I will have to see what is up Saturday. After that I will spend the hot months inside and only emerge from my AC to mow and pick a few things fro my garden.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

It been in the 80's here along the AL/TN line. This morning it is in the 40's but that is a cold came through yesterday after the rain. Customers are coming out of the wood works here. I am already running about a week and half behind due mainly to part deliveries. Some projects are actually several weeks in the making due to back ordered parts, others I have the parts on hand. Apparently some of the OEMs didn't even restock over break period. Briggs is still dragging their feet and now Kawasaki is running about two-four weeks behind when my distributor has to order the parts from them. At Stihl is back up to par on orders except those cancelled maintenance kits that are affected by the Ukraine mess.

At least it should dry enough to do some outdoor welding today. I got a deck that some repair welding along beefing part of it that keeps getting damaged by tree roots. A couple new spindles due to owner putting blades on wrong destroying the stars and one has a broken housing.

Now I am blood pressure problems introduced by the doctor changing my meds and refusing to return me to the ones that were working. I am currently on a self imposed crash diet where I eating one very small meal once a day and two coffee cups of liquid. I got BP back down to where it is in the 130-140/80-90 range; unlike the 200/110 range the doctor had gotten me up to with a week after changing my meds. Sometimes I think I can do better than him at keeping my BP under control.

When he changed my meds my weight also shot up from 245 to 258 within a week after starting on the new pills. I now got it back down to back to 245.8 this morning.

With this not wanting to correct his mistake I will need to find a new doctor that will do his job.

This Arkansas weather is about like north central Texas. Winter til about 10am. Spring til 1pm. Summer, then fall.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Funny, it's easy to down 8 beers when I'm out dancing (when I used to go dancing). But trying to get two glass of water down... That was tough.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

This Arkansas weather is about like north central Texas. Winter til about 10am. Spring til 1pm. Summer, then fall.
I remember what a beautiful spring we had here in ohio last year. It was on a Tuesday.

StarTech

StarTech

Now PT you do know you just rent beer like I rent tea.

And for the weather I now call it yo-yo weather as it is constantly going up and down. I got to where I can't what season it is nor can my plants. I had an apple tree blooming in January.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Hammer I figured it was good to go on diet but all I manage to do was to hold my own until just lately.

Probably going not to raise my labor rates this year except the welding rate as I did that last year but will charging for the fuel used. Part prices are going up enough as it is to hurt things. My welding rate includes electricity and supplies and they are going up.

Depending on where you are electrical and plumbing can't be done by the home owner. One city in Alabama even had bill board warning owners that couldn't change out a water faucet; unless, it was done by a licensed plumber. What a crock.
Here homeowners can do their own work if they live in the house. Rentals are another issue. I have been doing handyman work for over 20 years. Things like toilets and faucets can be replaced by non plumbers. Residential electrical is fairly easy IF you keep up on NEC codes and common sense. I have seen some homeowner electrical that gave a new meaning to stupid. I don't have time any more to do handyman work for folks. I have a select few older ladies who have lost their husbands i will do work for. I did a lot of plumbung and electrical, door replacements and finish carpentry, appliance repair etc. I believe there should be a test before you are allowed to shop in the electrical or plumbing aisles at a box store.
What makes me laugh is 99% of most residential light plumbing and electrical around here is done by the unlicensed helper and not a guy with the actual license.

B

BTBO

Just changed the oil in the TroyBilt pusher w/Honda engine and the Scag Liberty Z 48 with Kawasaki engine using Mobil 1 in both along with Lucas oil stabilizer. Got 10 gallons of ethanol free fuel and added Seafoam, Yamaha Ring Free+ and Stabil. Grass isn't quite ready to be cut yet, but it's just a matter of time.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I'm down to just one meal a day, myself. Then usually a snack at bedtime. And it's not trying to lose weight. I'm just not as hungry these days. Seems like though, even without being hungry, I'm not losing weight. My metabolism seems to be non existent.
Maybe that'll all change when I start getting more active.

I

ILENGINE

I guess most of us old guys a fighting the BP battle. I am still fighting the COVID 19. Not the virus but the 19 pounds gained over the last couple years. Luckily i am staying caught up on equipment. Stens is back to 2 day delivery and not had too many backorders. Got a car hauler trailer coming in next week and going to do a complete LED light upgrade and replace all wiring and service wheel bearings and brakes and some welding. Should make some good money on that one. Bad thing is i have to put off customers of my other business to get mowers done. Plus starting a kitchen remodel at my sons house. Building new cabinets for it now. Looks like electeical and plumbing gonna be a pain. Have any of you guys raised your shop rate this year? With the price of gas and everything else going up i am considering it.
I am trying to finish up a UTV for a customer with some weird head bolt torque specs:
Step 1 Torque to 15 lb/ft
Step 2 Torque to 40 lb/ft
Step 3 loosen all the bolts
Step 4 Tighten to 18 lb/ft
Step 5 Tighten to 26 lb/ft
Step 7 turn 180 degrees
Step 8 turn 180 degrees.

StarTech

StarTech

Which OEM is this UTV? I have lucky so far just mainly CV boots, wheel bearings, carb work. Still learning ATV/UTV line at least I have local retire tech that works on them to call on for help or info. We both are still learning new things too.

A

albanian

Still cold then hot then cold here in Louisiana. Got out my old 20 year old Craftsman tiller that hasn't run in over 2 years. Cleaned the gas tank and rebilt the carberator and it works like a top. Be mowing I guess by the end of the month. But won't mow nearly as much this year due to gas prices.

Ida-Boy

Ida-Boy

I am retired now but when I was driving truck for a living I remember being concerned about hearing my blood being pumped by my heart when I would pull into a stop and crawl out of the truck. Told doctor about it and it was shrugged off.
My blood pressure was never as high as yours and I must give you a high five on loosing the weight. I am trying also but fail in the winter months because of low activity.

F

Fox12

Wow on the BP. I am 78 and have a resting pulse of around 50 with an early morning BP of around 125/65 and take one med to curtail irregular heartbeats involving premature atrial contractions. I guess that running four miles each second day was not a bad idea.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I am trying to finish up a UTV for a customer with some weird head bolt torque specs:
Step 1 Torque to 15 lb/ft
Step 2 Torque to 40 lb/ft
Step 3 loosen all the bolts
Step 4 Tighten to 18 lb/ft
Step 5 Tighten to 26 lb/ft
Step 7 turn 180 degrees
Step 8 turn 180 degrees.
I have seen one sort of like that but not that complicated. Kinda like the poor man's torque angle adjustment without a torque angle tool.

StarTech

StarTech

Wow on the BP. I am 78 and have a resting pulse of around 50 with an early morning BP of around 125/65 and take one med to curtail irregular heartbeats involving premature atrial contractions. I guess that running four miles each second day was not a bad idea.
Cant run due hip ball joint keeps wanting to come out of the socket. It comes partially on some days working. I just falling apart as they must have built me with cheap Chinese parts.

S

Stokdgs

Amigo --
Sorry to hear about your Doctor messing around with your health badly...
I have been doing this for the past 10 years..
Eat a small breakfast, ,perhaps more if I know I am going to actually Burn off those calories that day..
Drink 4 tall glasses of water with that breakfast.
Skip lunch
Eat a little meal in the evening.. Drink 2 more tall glasses of water early, so I dont have to get up and down all night.. :)
This has helped me keep my weight stabilized for all those years much better than anything else..
I just think of my body as an engine -- how much "gas" does it need - Today - ? And just give it that much and no more...
Don't have to be crazy about this, just give a little thought about your day and adjust accordingly..
Like for example, my morning whatever, will always include 1 egg fried in a little tiny sauce pan so it comes out perfectly every time if you put a nice, glass lid on it, so you can watch it..
Perhaps a small glass of milk, a little shot of juice, and that water...
Every day...
Pretty soon, my body adjusted to it and it is now really easy.
Good luck with your health !!! Will say a prayer of Faith for you and yours..

D

DABS

Hey Star Tech I too am on the Al/Tn border on Tn side. Located in Huntland, TN. Never know if we can swap parts etc

I

ILENGINE

Which OEM is this UTV? I have lucky so far just mainly CV boots, wheel bearings, carb work. Still learning ATV/UTV line at least I have local retire tech that works on them to call on for help or info. We both are still learning new things too.
2015 Polaris 570 EPS

D

davisjt1977

You could consider a naturopathic doctor or nutritional specialist. I am biased because my wife is one. We have a relative on the south side of Huntsville that I would recommend highly. Best to get a word of mouth recommendation. We detest the practitioners that only look at it as a money maker and little concern about healing people. (ie, don't gouge the people to make a buck). Focus on healing and God will send the people. My wife monitors all those numbers so I don't know what mine are. I take natural supplements and no meds @67yrs. At least you are actively involved in your health unlike many. Best to you. Stay healthy.

StarTech

StarTech

2015 Polaris 570 EPS
Boy that a big difference from the 2014 service manual.
1646857937891.png

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

2015 Polaris 570 EPS

I turn down most UTV/ATV work. I will work on the the older ones with carbs and do the basic engine and suspension work but i won't take on transmission work or any ECU or fuel injected engines. I don't have manuals and they are quite often a pain to wirk on. Had a guy bring in a motorcycle that wasn't charging the battery. The burned up stator was inside the transmission. You had to pull the engine and tran out of the bike to open the trans to get to it. No, i don't need work like that. Bike shop wanted over $1K to do it.

I

ILENGINE

Boy that a big difference from the 2014 service manual.
View attachment 59700
This is interesting if it uses black bolts then the torque sequence is

Cylinder Head Torque Procedure:
Torque in sequence
Step 1: 21 lb-ft (28 Nm)
Step 2: 26 lb-ft (35 Nm)
Step 3: Additional 135°
Step 4 (M6 bolts): 8 lb-ft (11 Nm)

But if it uses the silver bolts then the torque sequence is

Cylinder Head Bolts:
Torque in Sequence for all steps
Step 1: 18 ft-lbs (25 Nm)
Step 2: 40 ft-lbs (55 Nm)
Step 3: Loosen all fasteners until they are
unseated
Step 4: 15 ft-lbs (20 Nm)
Step 5: 26 ft-lbs (35 Nm)
Step 6: Additional 180°
Step 7: Additional 180°
Torque The Outer M6 Head Bolts 89 ± 9 in-lbs
(10 ± 1 Nm)

StarTech

StarTech

I added a note the 2014 manual here about this and tnx for the info and heads up on this.

StarTech

StarTech

I turn down most UTV/ATV work. I will work on the the older ones with carbs and do the basic engine and suspension work but i won't take on transmission work or any ECU or fuel injected engines. I don't have manuals and they are quite often a pain to wirk on. Had a guy bring in a motorcycle that wasn't charging the battery. The burned up stator was inside the transmission. You had to pull the engine and tran out of the bike to open the trans to get to it. No, i don't need work like that. Bike shop wanted over $1K to do it.
A lot ATV engine work requires the engine to be pulled. And yes it is a pain to do hence the big bucks charged.

I

ILENGINE

The thing is people that won't spend the money to due $600 repair on their $8K mower will drop $4K into their ATV or UTV that they have rolled down a hill or sunk in the creek. And if you flood a automobile the insurance company will total it out. But if you submerge and flood out an ATV they will pay to repair it. They won't total them out.

if you work on very many sticker shock on parts and repairs goes by the wayside very quickly. Not hard to drop $1K in parts plus labor.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I am retired now but when I was driving truck for a living I remember being concerned about hearing my blood being pumped by my heart when I would pull into a stop and crawl out of the truck. Told doctor about it and it was shrugged off.
My blood pressure was never as high as yours and I must give you a high five on loosing the weight. I am trying also but fail in the winter months because of low activity.

Kssshhh.. Hey south bound, what's the chicken house doing today? The south bound side is closed.
C.L.O.S.E.D. = Chickens Loose On Scale, Entry Denied.

I drink that much water most everyday, if one adds a slice of lemon in the jug, it tastes good, & makes you more thirsty & pee lots more, as it becomes a natural diuretic.... By bedtime I'm pretty empty & sleep like a baby thru the entire night.

Bout 7 months ago I was diagnosed as having a Large Kidney Stone, GOLF BALL size. (literally), I had no idea as it wasn't hurting. . Had to go in the hospital to go thru my back to surgically remove it. 4 days in there.

Dr said you ever want to do that again ? I said Never. He said drink the water w/slice of lemon.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I drink that much water most everyday, if one adds a slice of lemon in the jug, it tastes good, & makes you more thirsty & pee lots more, as it becomes a natural diuretic.... By bedtime I'm pretty empty & sleep like a baby thru the entire night.

Bout 7 months ago I was diagnosed as having a Large Kidney Stone, GOLF BALL size. (literally), I had no idea as it wasn't hurting. . Had to go in the hospital to go thru my back to surgically remove it. 4 days in there.

Dr said you ever want to do that again ? I said Never. He said drink the water w/slice of lemon.

Since we've been talking about water, I've been drinking straight water a lot. Even during the day. We have good water here. So taste isn't an issue. After a few days, I don't even think about it. It's much easier to just grab a glass of water, then to make tea.

But I refuse to let plain water get in the way of my morning coffee. I do that for the safety of others. :D

1646886941130.png

Since we've been talking about water, I've been drinking straight water a lot. Even during the day. We have good water here. So taste isn't an issue. After a few days, I don't even think about it. It's much easier to just grab a glass of water, then to make tea.

But I refuse to let plain water get in the way of my morning coffee. I do that for the safety of others. :D
I don't drink beer or spirits. I like my water, we have good water as well. but the lemon just gives it some zing. And is supposed to be a kidney stone preventative. I'm past retirement age, so just trying to keep myself going.

PS: I quit coffee about 25 yrs ago..

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

The thing is people that won't spend the money to due $600 repair on their $8K mower will drop $4K into their ATV or UTV that they have rolled down a hill or sunk in the creek. And if you flood a automobile the insurance company will total it out. But if you submerge and flood out an ATV they will pay to repair it. They won't total them out.

if you work on very many sticker shock on parts and repairs goes by the wayside very quickly. Not hard to drop $1K in parts plus labor.

Yeah, some folks don't mind dropping coin on the toys to buy or fix. I had a fairly new gator in the shop and the parts for it were outrageous from JD but the labor was easy. Cust was happy with what i charged. I had a JD x729 in a month ago and needed a new gearbox on the mower deck and a couple hydraulic hoses, a lower radiator hose and annual maint. Bill was over $1K. They didn't bat an eye. Then you have folks the think $125 to do annual maint on a 20 year old craftsman mower is too much. Looks like tomorrow will be a good day. The 2 additional security cameras came in today so i get to go install them on a client's camera system. I charge $100/hr for that onsite work. Should clear $400 for a half days work. Cha-ching

StarTech

StarTech

Oh I quit coffee for two months then the customers started driving me nuts so I took it back up. I did give soft drinks about five yrs ago. No alcoholic drinks here, just don't like the taste. Used to drive my friends crazy that I refused the drinks. But several of them are dead now from vehicle wrecks. I even gave up on my favorite food, pizza a yr ago. I got watch which sugar I buy as most gives me acid reflux.

And Hammer people don't mind paying out the rear for that green and gold stuff or their ATV/UTV equipment. But every once a while you find one that is not so joined at the hip with JD.

B

bertsmobile1

When I was 16 there was a 6 week space between the 2nd last & last exam so I got a job in a booze botteling plant and tossed a sickie to sit the test .
The Sat over time shift was men only & we diluted the cognac concentrate & bottled it , all day non stop , when you got a bit peckish you slipped a stopper into the return line and took a sip.
Developed a very bad taste for cognac working there ( champers taste on a beer budget ) .
So I could sit & sip some VSOP all day
Pretty fond of a good vintage port, particularly with a long panatella or perhaps a little wacky weed after a good feed
2 coffees with breakfast , short shots with equal parts of triple cream , 6 or so cups of tea , real leaf tea from a pot , herbal teas in the evening , again from my own herbs .
The workshop has a small fridge with 4 water jugs so when thirsty down stairs a quick cool swig is the go .
We have excellent water over here as the rain is very clean so water from the tanks in the fridge.
Tap water is chlorinated & flouridated so tastes rubbish unless left 24 hours

Distilled water is the ticket.

When I was young & crazy I did get juiced up, but was a mean drunk. Want to fight all the time. I don't miss those days.

StarTech

StarTech

I only got what you call buzzed once. I didn't like it as I didn't even remember how I got back to my hotel room.

I use well water here as the public is terrible due to all the chlorine. Plus I figure if plants just barely survive on it then it not good for a person either.

As the weather here it taking another nasty turn here. They are forecasting 3-5 inches of snow and temps down in the teen for the weekend. I try to get several things done Friday before it hits. I might even try for another chance at making some snow cream as the only decent snow caught me without the milk.

. They are forecasting 3-5 inches of snow and temps down in the teen for the weekend. I try to get several things done Friday before it hits.
Same weather predictions for me here.. & got my Friday stuff done in preparation. I just mowed last week & now snow.. LOL

H

hlw49

Glad winter is over and spring is here LOL. Woke up this morning to 5 to 6 inches of snow and the temps in the low 20's. Love this Tn. weather.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Yeah, couple inches of snow and 20 degrees this moening and supposed to be 70 by the middle of the week. Welcome to spring.

StarTech

StarTech

Well the depth depends where you check my porch had about 4 inches, road clear of snow but has a sheet of ice. The temp is about 17F currently with the wind blowing. There goes my peaches and plums for this year again.

Yea, woke to bout 3 inches of the evil white stuff.. And said to drop to 15* overnight..

And happy to report the white stuff has gone...

D

deck~dragger

Gusty winds here, happens every year, three days/nights of it this go around. I never had to start mowing until April until the last 6-7 years, needed to start in March. Winters used to be longer and a lot more snow, but I am not complaining a bit, I like the milder weather.

Was gusty here as well earlier today. I have mowed twice already, & my log shows last year I mowed in March, but in late March..

StarTech

StarTech

A fun afternoon today. I spent hours hiving a swarm of honey bees. It first time I worked a swarm without my suit or gloves; I could find my suit or gloves until afterwards. Only got a couple stings. Now I can be called a sore head as one got me in the top of my head. Well I shouldn't got that haircut last week. Now just if they will stay put would be nice.

Boy it is early for them to be swarming as it is usually May around here when they start swarming.

Boy I couldn't get the neighbor to understand to get inside as they were straight for him. His brain must have been out to lunch.:LOL: But he made a run it when they got around him.

:ROFLMAO:

B

bertsmobile1

The thing that does not exist called Global Warming
Obviously the bees have been reading all that fake news so did not realize that the rising temperatures were not real

StarTech

StarTech

But Yo-Yo weather does exist. Freezing one day and the next near 80 F. I getting three days of above freezing here so lots repairs are happening as quickly as I can get them done. Storms Wednesday night are forecasted with possible tornadoes.

Hopeful no more bees to chase down for a few days. Saw briars are pain to go through. I looked like I was attack yesterday and I was by those briars.

I

ILENGINE

Trying to put together a parts order this morning and finding that the supplier that has my replacement blades doesn't have my tire tubes in stock, and the supplier that has the tubes doesn't carry the blades.

Getting so ya can't win..

We had bees today, as I cleaned up my mower after mowing..

StarTech

StarTech

Yes it been a fight since the start of year. I got a dang Honda carb that has a plastic needle seat that is leaking, I thought it was just the needle but nope it has to have a new carb. Then the old Kawasaki FB460V is still giving me fits. Now the carburetor is leaking even with a new needle, pulling in the morning to see if I can clean up the brass seat using a 6 point 82 degree counter sink.

And IL I having the same problems with ordering parts over half of parts are being back ordered or NLA even on fairly new equipment.

I

ILENGINE

Yes it been a fight since the start of year. I got a dang Honda carb that has a plastic needle seat that is leaking, I thought it was just the needle but nope it has to have a new carb. Then the old Kawasaki FB460V is still giving me fits. Now the carburetor is leaking even with a new needle, pulling in the morning to see if I can clean up the brass seat using a 6 point 82 degree counter sink.

And IL I having the same problems with ordering parts over half of parts are being back ordered or NLA even on fairly new equipment.
Working with a OEM only available blades and Oregon seems to be out of tire tubes, at least at that supplier. Thing is I have 3 Toro Timecutters in the shop and all 3 call for different blades. And with Honda I find that most of the time the carb is less than the needle valve or at least complete carb is less than the needle valve, gasket set, and in some cases adjustment screw with labor .

Actually got thinking is the seat leaking or is it leaking between the seat and the carb body. Have seen a few Honda carbs leak there. Is this a small engine carb or an ATV/UTV carb.

StarTech

StarTech

The Honda carb here I was have it is leaking around the needle itself where it meets the seat. I tried cleaning the seat. I even to countersink it but just made it worst. And I have seen seats to leak around the mating area with the carb body. I actually replace several cube carbs every year because of this.

On the tubes I usually buy Carlisle tubes in boxes of ten. I do have a box of 323520 11X6.00-5 tubes B/O too. Supposedly be in the warehouse 4/12. I just wish I could have found them with TR13 stems instead TR87 ones.

It the darn intake seal plates for a Husky 570 that been on B/O since the first of the year that is the problem. No easy way to vac test the saw's engine without them.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Trying to put together a parts order this morning and finding that the supplier that has my replacement blades doesn't have my tire tubes in stock, and the supplier that has the tubes doesn't carry the blades.
Been seeing that pretty much every time i order parts. I needed an oem husqvarna deck belt had to get it off ebay. Jack's was $10 higher plus shipping. Stens always seems to be out of stock of at least 1 part i really need for each order. I spend nore time searching for parts online than turning wrenches.

B

bertsmobile1

Been seeing that pretty much every time i order parts. I needed an oem husqvarna deck belt had to get it off ebay. Jack's was $10 higher plus shipping. Stens always seems to be out of stock of at least 1 part i really need for each order. I spend nore time searching for parts online than turning wrenches.
Welcome to my world
Time ratio is about 3:1
3 on the computer to every 1 in the shop
I try to keep a good working inventory so I do not have to wait for parts to come in to finish a job but you can not keep one of everything

StarTech

StarTech

Welcome to my world
Time ratio is about 3:1
3 on the computer to every 1 in the shop
I try to keep a good working inventory so I do not have to wait for parts to come in to finish a job but you can not keep one of everything
You got that right. Plus what I work on keeps changing so you never know what you going need tomorrow. All we can do is just bare with it. Today I found I need a .625-11 x 3 grade 5 Hex bolt. I have never needed any but some idiot installed a low strength one in its place plus it was only 2-1/4 long. I torque it to specs and when the customer was mowing it snap off in the spindle. I reckon a set left drill bits is in my future along a good set extractors. Those HFT ones are junk.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Things seem to run in spurts. Hadn't worked on an old style tecumseh carb in a while but had to clean and rebuild 3 in the last 2 days. A old tiller and 2 old snowblowers. I will probably see the snownnlowers again as people seem to think draining the fuel is against the law. I love the folks who call and want to get in for annual maint and ask if it will ba a day or 2. I have 6 waiting for me to pick up besides what i have in the shop now. Tis the season.

I

ILENGINE

I currently have a 2 week waiting list to pickup items from customers for service. Shop is full and don't have any place to store it unless it sets outside in the weather. Heck I have to push stuff out in the rain just to have room to work on other things in the shop.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I can get 5 riders in my little 24x24 shop unless the decks are off. Froze my a** off tuesday working outside because the shop was full and today it is 70. Got 3 done today and i hope they pick them up tomorrow as i need the room. When you push stuff out in the rain you can charge an extra $5 for "washing" customer equipment.

I

ILENGINE

I can get 5 riders in my little 24x24 shop unless the decks are off. Froze my a** off tuesday working outside because the shop was full and today it is 70. Got 3 done today and i hope they pick them up tomorrow as i need the room. When you push stuff out in the rain you can charge an extra $5 for "washing" customer equipment.
I currently have a Cub Cadet with a 42 inch deck. 3 Toro Timecutters with 42 inch decks, a JD 445 with a 60 inch deck. A front tine tiller, and push mower, a DR 34 inch field and brush mower, an Arctic Cat 400 ATV and 60 gallon air compressor still on the pallet with a bad motor, and 30 gallon air compressor that has been dropped on its head and awaiting compressor pump parts,

And currently in the middle of a 2 inch plus thunderstorm with tornado watches.

B

bertsmobile1

Being mobile I only work on hand helds inside the shop
And yes at the moment I have 5 customers mowers in the yard under covers

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I currently have a Cub Cadet with a 42 inch deck. 3 Toro Timecutters with 42 inch decks, a JD 445 with a 60 inch deck. A front tine tiller, and push mower, a DR 34 inch field and brush mower, an Arctic Cat 400 ATV and 60 gallon air compressor still on the pallet with a bad motor, and 30 gallon air compressor that has been dropped on its head and awaiting compressor pump parts,

And currently in the middle of a 2 inch plus thunderstorm with tornado watches.
I ain't got that kind of room. Wish i did but the CFO has nixed the idea of expanding. I was in Akron the past weekend installing cabinets and a dishwasher at my son's and got up to 3 inches of lake effect snow Sunday morning. We had the tornado warnings last week. I love it when my phone starts screaming at 3AM about a tornado warning 50 miles away from me. I have a hard enough time sleeping without crap like that.

I

ILENGINE

I ain't got that kind of room. Wish i did but the CFO has nixed the idea of expanding. I was in Akron the past weekend installing cabinets and a dishwasher at my son's and got up to 3 inches of lake effect snow Sunday morning. We had the tornado warnings last week. I love it when my phone starts screaming at 3AM about a tornado warning 50 miles away from me. I have a hard enough time sleeping without crap like that.
And still have a Snapper rear engine, 2 Troybilt 42" riders and a Kubota L3830 to go get for a complete service including hydraulic oil and filter change and sharpen the 6 foot rotary cutter blades.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

You need to hire a helper.

StarTech

StarTech

Here all my work is outdoors as the 24x24 shop is full of parts and tools. Heck I even twelve 18 gal storage boxes of parts in my bathroom. When moved here I thought I had a storage area until the roof caved in from what a stupid repair job by the previous owner. Someone put the tin roof on backwards so the insulation trap a lot water the rotted out along the back wall. I just hoping material costs drop soon so I can do the repairs.

As for getting a helper that is a problem when they are not qualified to turn a wrench. I had several to ask but fail even a simple questioning test. I need someone that I don't have to hold their hand to do the work.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

The local JD dealer wants to hire me at a wage that is a bit of an insult. I offered to work as an hourly contractor for $30 an hour while the dealership charges $98 an hour. No benefits or other withholdings for me. They would make $70 an hour plus have a flunky to wash equipment, change oil and sharpen blades. I have no illusion as what jobs the temp new guy would be doing. The owner thought that was crazy. I am better off in the long run just doing my own thing. The dealer is already backed up 4 weeks.

I

ILENGINE

I just added a Yamaha Rhino to the mix this morning. Engine block threads for the oil drain plug are gone, and had plumbers tape holding it in. Supposedly engine was rebuild 3 months ago due to a lack of lubrication failure causing engine damage.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I would run from that one as fast as i could. I doubt a simple heli coil will fix it. Soooooooo....... when the "mechanic" rebuilt the oil starved engine he didn't notice the stripped drain plug? Did he do the plumber's tape? Red flag?

I

ILENGINE

I would run from that one as fast as i could. I doubt a simple heli coil will fix it. Soooooooo....... when the "mechanic" rebuilt the oil starved engine he didn't notice the stripped drain plug? Did he do the plumber's tape? Red flag?
Oh, I have more questions than answers at this point, and have a very bad feeling I will be seeing this one again with a 4 figure repair bill. The repair was supposedly done by a local offroad repair shop. My neighbor purchased it and now is probably going to regret spending the money. So I am thinking either the owner stripped it out prior to unloading it on my neighbor, or the invoice that I saw for the repairs was fake.

StarTech

StarTech

Depends how clearance you have on the back side of the drain hole. There is options available to repair it. One is to enlarge the 14mm hole to 15mm using the following kit.

15mm Resize kit.

Now of course IL didnt spec which Rhino he has on hand. Here I am working a 2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 [Japan version]. Someone claimed to have rebuilt the carburetor. Definitely wasn't done as jets were loose and one was completely out laying in the fuel bowl plus the gaskets were all dry rotted.

I

ILENGINE

Depends how clearance you have on the back side of the drain hole. There is options available to repair it. One is to enlarge the 14mm hole to 15mm using the following kit.

15mm Resize kit.

Now of course IL didnt spec which Rhino he has on hand. Here I am working a 2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 [Japan version]. Someone claimed to have rebuilt the carburetor. Definitely wasn't done as jets were loose and one was completely out laying in the fuel bowl plus the gaskets were all dry rotted.
09 Yamaha Rhino 700 FI.

StarTech

StarTech

Well that drain plug is a 14mm.

And I just found out Yamaha is just a bad as Kawasaki small engines where you got to order every individual part. I just order a fuel sender and Yamaha didn't include the gasket. Bummer. They know darn well you need the gasket too when changing out the sending unit.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Well that drain plug is a 14mm.

And I just found out Yamaha is just a bad as Kawasaki small engines where you got to order every individual part. I just order a fuel sender and Yamaha didn't include the gasket. Bummer. They know darn well you need the gasket too when changing out the sending unit.
Gotcha!

StarTech

StarTech

Yes the learning curve can be a problem but I now know about it so it not going get me next time.

B

bertsmobile1

The local JD dealer wants to hire me at a wage that is a bit of an insult. I offered to work as an hourly contractor for $30 an hour while the dealership charges $98 an hour. No benefits or other withholdings for me. They would make $70 an hour plus have a flunky to wash equipment, change oil and sharpen blades. I have no illusion as what jobs the temp new guy would be doing. The owner thought that was crazy. I am better off in the long run just doing my own thing. The dealer is already backed up 4 weeks.
I bought the repair run from a retired marine engineer who used to take in the overflow from the local mower shop ( now closed due to messy divorce ) .
He used to do the entire job, start to finish including buying the parts then hand it back to the shop
He also drank at the local & one day he got hauled over the coals by some one who was unhappy about the price the mower shop charged for the repair.
They just copped out & said it was what they had been charged.
The actual charge was $ 350
The mower shop charged $ 940 so he set off on his own.
An yes the mower shops around here will not take on apprentices because they can not sack them in winter when there is no work, they they bitch because they can not find tradesmen to work in the service department .
They demand that you put in at least 7 billable hours a day , won't pay overtime , expect you to supply all of your own tools, including all of the unique special tools then wonder why the workers leave & set themselves up as independents and on top of that the hourly rate is minimum basic wage $ 12 - $ 15 /Hr and the shop charges out at $ 120 - $ 200 / hour .
I get asked all the time come & work for the shops & they can not understand why I refuse when there is no benefit to me other than being able to access the dealer network knowledge base
And on top of that I am supposed to get myself accredited with Kohler ( already am ) Briggs ( Costs $ 2500 ) & Kawakasi ( costs $ 1300 ) and keep it current on my own time but they did offer me $ 20 / hr as a sub contractor ( no holiday pay or sick pay or superannuation ) which means I would have to use my own public liability insurance ( $ 3000 )

C

clarkie68

Bro I am drinking water like I can get high on it, My friends are telling me that like this my organs would have drowned till now!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

What ?

I

ILENGINE

My newest project just arrived today. A Cub Cadet Tank that customer claimed just quit while mowing. Hasn't been run in three years, and parts are missing, The HD air cleaner housing is loose from the engine, Blower housing bolts loose or missing, and extra wires added to the wiring system that either go to no where or just dangling to get wrapped into things and short out the system. The wire bolt on the starter has a crack in the plastic isolator at the starter housing which most likely means that they have twisted the brush connector.

My newest project just arrived today. A Cub Cadet Tank that customer claimed just quit while mowing. Hasn't been run in three years,
Gotta love it.. Just quit while mowing.. Forgot to tell you the year...

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Just remember, everyone lies to their doctor and their mechanic.

You. "Looks like between $1500 and $2000."

Cust. "You're kidding, right."

You "NO"

Valid point..

I

ILENGINE

Gotta love it.. Just quit while mowing.. Forgot to tell you the year...
Story was that it quit while mowing, and then left it were it died, and went an purchased a new mower and have been mowing around it since. It looks like the disassembly and cobbling occurred prior to it quitting. It works really well when they take a wire run it from the terminal for the B+ off of the regulator on the Kawasaki engine and then is dangling down through the frame with a 3 inch bare end wrapped around the axle.

StarTech

StarTech

24 units and counting. Boy the equipment is coming out of the wood works now. Several awaiting parts now. So far only the Ariens is at a stopping point due destroyed engine. Never ran it without oil. BS as there lots damage including hole in the side of the block.
1650195560530.png
And these just the pending jobs and not counting the ones already completed, invoiced, and delivered.

Most of the engine work is Kawasaki engines this year so far. Just got my first two Briggs for this year. The Stihl FS94 I just got informed Friday that the gasket it kit is no longer available so it looks like I got to find out which oil seals are used and use Motoseal for gaskets. Jobs 1605 and 1606 parts arrived Friday. Job 1612 will completed today after I get a grade 5 5/8-11 x 2.25 bolt. I got lucky as I manage to get the broken one out of the spindle. Job 1616 is completed to usable stage so the customer picked it up while I order non priority parts, will bill out and start a new job for it. He had to one of his two ZTRs working as he is a commercial customer and his other went down too. I only got 7 units that I haven't gotten to yet to see what parts are needed.

If I had the parts when I needed I would only be a couple weeks behind. Oh it is nice to be needed but boy it can get a little much. I never had a Spring startup like this one. Every time I turn around its raining.

It would help it the customers would give an idea of what all is wrong at times. Some just expect us to be mind readers and everything so far this year has been major projects with unreported problems.

Well it is Sunday and I taking the day off to try to find my sanity. Lots of running around today for personal business.

I

ILENGINE

I feel your pain @StarTech seems like the projects are coming out of the woodwork this year, and I have the same issue with rain. I have the option of working in the rain, shoving everything out in the rain to have room to work in the shop, and the next piece to come in to be worked on is now dripping wet. That Polaris Ranger with the complete engine rebuild complete with crankshaft replacement, and the Yamaha Rhino with the stripped drain plug threads, had to install a time-sert drain plug kit, and now this Kawasaki on a CC with a put it together to find out what is wrong to I can take it back apart repair. Oh I forgot the Husqvarna no start rider, that just happen to come with two push mowers and a weed trimmer that I wasn't expecting when I picked up the rider.

And my normal 8-12 Saturday was a 7 am to 5 pm yesterday.

StarTech

StarTech

IL don't you just like having to undo all the makeshift repairs just to get to the real problems? It enough to make me scream at times. With some of my vendors problems I have have scream at the loudest I could.

I just can't stand a vendor when they intentionally lie to me. One I had to put a 6 month no purchase time out. Well that has costed them dearly as I had a couple vendors to take up their slack and I even gotten on a better pricing plan for after market parts from Stens. The same lying A&I is now threatening to completely cut me off if I don't buy $2000 in parts by September. Well unless I get in a ton of Briggs work So far it been cheaper just to pay near retail for the Briggs parts as the alternate vendor has a better shipping cost. A&I just gotten ridiculous on shipping charges.

Gardner about screwed themselves up too with me. They took 7 months to switch me over to bank drafts so they were put on a purchase hold too. Now that I finally gotten that straighten out the purchases are still low as RBI beats them on the MTD parts and has Oregon parts. But things can change overnight, depends on what comes in.

OH just had I a new customer asking what I charge to put back together a Kawasaki Bayou yesterday. I don't really want think about it too much as some else disassembled the engine so no idea what in the heck was wrong to start with. I just told I couldn't give him a price as I don't know what was involved in getting back to operating condition.; just be charging an hourly rate.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I have been lucky, last week i got a lot of stuff finished and out the door or waiting for pickup. Only have a few things in the shop. The fun one is the 80's Power King with a bunch of electrical problems and someone cobbled up the mule drive to the deck. I can't seem to find much info on the Economy/Power King mowers on the web.

I

ILENGINE

My newest project just arrived today. A Cub Cadet Tank that customer claimed just quit while mowing. Hasn't been run in three years, and parts are missing, The HD air cleaner housing is loose from the engine, Blower housing bolts loose or missing, and extra wires added to the wiring system that either go to no where or just dangling to get wrapped into things and short out the system. The wire bolt on the starter has a crack in the plastic isolator at the starter housing which most likely means that they have twisted the brush connector.
The latest CC Tank update. One of the starter mounting bolts is missing, the key switch terminals are corroded and the 5 pin connector for the key switch has two melted terminals. And the next item on the list is a Southland string trimmer with delicious smelling gas, and a carb bowl with flavor chips. The Generac pressure washer that rounds off the festivities has evidence of water freezing in the pump.

Never a dull moment.. And IDK why folks don't remember the pressure washer pumps..

Friend fired his up just to make sure it was able to run. BUT it locked up. I asked did you hook up the hose to it & get a flow first.. NOPE.
So that needs a new pump, if he can even find one..

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I got restricted from Facebook (again). So I haven't been able to advertise.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

You been a bad boy. FakeBook mad at you.

I

ILENGINE

I have been fighting too many redirect errors for close to 2 years with facebook, and now they are considering my login a grey account and will deactivate the account on May 2nd. I am basically done with Facebook myself

StarTech

StarTech

I am a social outcast...No Facebook, Twitter, or other sites like them, just forums like this one. I don't even have a cell phone any more as they don't work here without a repeater. I might one here so my customers can use their phone here.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I have fakebook. Last time i posted was about 2 years ago or so. Funny how people you went to high school with that treated you as a social outcast because you weren't a cool kid but rather the guy always under the hood of a car now wants to friend you. Nah. I am still not cool.

StarTech

StarTech

I have fakebook. Last time i posted was about 2 years ago or so. Funny how people you went to high school with that treated you as a social outcast because you weren't a cool kid but rather the guy always under the hood of a car now wants to friend you. Nah. I am still not cool.
Probably all their rainy day friends have abandon them.

B

bertsmobile1

While it does cost actual money one of the cheapest advertising things you can do is to buy a domain name like PTmowTech then use that as your sign in on forums like this.
My business name is Berts Mobile Mower Repairs thus on all mower & small engines sites my screen name is Bertsmobile .
This sort of identifies you as a business to other users.

As for Face Ache buy a really cheap old laptop and use that to set up another Gmail & Face book account.
Face ache use the MAC number as the primary identification so their server knows it is your computer it has connected to.
Then it looks for the cookie or keys that it installs to verify the account once you have set it up .

This stops people who have been banned from opening a new account using a false identity
And I use a false identity so to most groups I am a 101 year old man who lives in a nursing home and is a pensioner .
Thus your account gets tossed into the "No Commercial Potential " and by & large you get almost no spam as you are well & truely outside the parrameters of the advertisers .

Because I do not want to be the next Musk or Besos I have found the best advertising is to give the local primary schools , church groups & charities service vouchers for them to use to raise funds with.
When I was selling refurbished mowers I used to go to the local car boot sale run by a church which costs $ 20 .Usually I could shift at least 3 walk behinds .
Plus a stack of stickers for people to take home ( much better than a business card ) and some flyers to hand out .
I also took a lot of blade carriers with new blades installed ( we use swing back blades ) and they sold like hotcakes .
Even better is most who bought them have become parts customers so I can buy bulk blades and sell them at a 300% mark up while still being cheaper than big box stores.
When I have some spare time ( or it is raining too hard ), I make them up so I can always do an exchange, only $ 10 gross mark up but it means I can buy bulk blades so all of the blade replacements make better mark ups .

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

My best advertising is my brother in law who runs the euchre games at the local senior citizen center. I gave him a stack of business cards. Gotten lots of customers from him. My second best "sales agent" is a friend that advertises me at his church. Lots of business from there.
Time to go to in and get a cold one. Just finished fighting with some new 13x6x6 4 ply tires. Weird thing is it is a ToyBilt TB30. Cust says never did anything to the front tires. Had one split out the entire sidewall and both tires had tubes in them. Has any of you guys seen a troybilt rider with tubes in the tires from the factory?

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I am a social outcast...No Facebook, Twitter, or other sites like them, just forums like this one. I don't even have a cell phone any more as they don't work here without a repeater. I might one here so my customers can use their phone here.

Since moving to another state, way out into the country, and doing this from home now, I really don't have a lot of choice, unless I want to spend money on advertising. FB ads are cheap cheap. And will only target a certain area. Like 20 miles from my location, 50 miles and all the way up to world wide, if I wanted.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

My best advertising is my brother in law who runs the euchre games at the local senior citizen center. I gave him a stack of business cards. Gotten lots of customers from him. My second best "sales agent" is a friend that advertises me at his church. Lots of business from there.
Time to go to in and get a cold one. Just finished fighting with some new 13x6x6 4 ply tires. Weird thing is it is a ToyBilt TB30. Cust says never did anything to the front tires. Had one split out the entire sidewall and both tires had tubes in them. Has any of you guys seen a troybilt rider with tubes in the tires from the factory?

I've always had a business FB account and it's brought me a lot of work. Even when I had the shop in town, there were FB customers who rarely went to that side of town and didn't even know I was open.

StarTech

StarTech

Since moving to another state, way out into the country, and doing this from home now, I really don't have a lot of choice, unless I want to spend money on advertising. FB ads are cheap cheap. And will only target a certain area. Like 20 miles from my location, 50 miles and all the way up to world wide, if I wanted.
Personally I have never advertised since the 90's. I found it here was a complete waste of time and money as it only brought in the deadbeat customers. I even had them calling with ridiculous questions. Currently the only advertising that I have business is the sign out front of the shop. Nearly all my new business clients are referrals which is some the best advertising that can be had.

Now I did have a potential new customer stop by yesterday that seen my sign. Some of the questions she was asking very detailed so it appeared she has been burned in the past by small shops. things how long have I been in business, do I warranty my workmanship, how long I have been working on equipment, am I licensed, and finally a question that I have check into. As to if I accept Greenbelt tax exemption. That one I couldn't answer on the spot. Another one was do I offer discounts for seniors (which I do). It takes care the sales tax part of the bill when they are 65 or over.

Now I am 20+ miles from the nearest large town, several smaller towns closer in but none have repair shops other than fly by night shops. I deal with their screw ups all the time. I actually enough parts on hand now that I can sell just parts if needed without having to order everything.

BTW I currently have one guy that thinks $400 is too much to do the following:
  • Replace starter solenoid
  • Replace the bearings in all three spindles
  • Replace all deck idler pulleys
  • Replace both drive belts and idlers pulleys
  • Install one inner tube
  • Replace front wheel bushings
  • Pickup and deliver the mower.
The mower is a 46" 2005 Huskee. Lots of bad bearing noise.

He thinks that is too expensive and I should be doing it for $100. He is nuts.... Currently he owes $75 for replacing the starter solenoid. I done tried to return the mower twice with him missing both appointments. Now he got to arrange his own pickup and return of the mower.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

We need customers but not every customer.

StarTech

StarTech

We need customers but not every customer.
Definitely don't need every customer here either as I just let the other shops deal with the Pita customers. I just need customers that understand to it is partnership between us. I provide a service that they need but have to be also fair about what is charge that makes it a good deal for both sides.

I got one now that if ever comes back for his mower that he will find out that I not dealing with him any more.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Definitely don't need every customer here either as I just let the other shops deal with the Pita customers. I just need customers that understand to it is partnership between us. I provide a service that they need but have to be also fair about what is charge that makes it a good deal for both sides.

I got one now that if ever comes back for his mower that he will find out that I not dealing with him any more.

I dont get many of those but when i do i am nice to them and recommend another guy who is cheaper than me. And sometimes you get what you pay for. Funny thing is the guy who wanted to negotiate the bill and i gave a discount and told him it would be best if he found another shop wanted to bring in another piece of equipment. Sorry but i am booked up till 2025.

B

bertsmobile1

More than once I have put the old parts ( including dirty sump oil ) back onto an ex-customers mower and then told them to pick it up within 7 days or I will donate it to the Mens Shed
And even if they suddenly get a change of heart the story is the same
One of the few real benefits of working for ourself is I can choose who I do work for .

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Personally I have never advertised since the 90's. I found it here was a complete waste of time and money as it only brought in the deadbeat customers. I even had them calling with ridiculous questions. Currently the only advertising that I have business is the sign out front of the shop. Nearly all my new business clients are referrals which is some the best advertising that can be had.

Now I did have a potential new customer stop by yesterday that seen my sign. Some of the questions she was asking very detailed so it appeared she has been burned in the past by small shops. things how long have I been in business, do I warranty my workmanship, how long I have been working on equipment, am I licensed, and finally a question that I have check into. As to if I accept Greenbelt tax exemption. That one I couldn't answer on the spot. Another one was do I offer discounts for seniors (which I do). It takes care the sales tax part of the bill when they are 65 or over.

Now I am 20+ miles from the nearest large town, several smaller towns closer in but none have repair shops other than fly by night shops. I deal with their screw ups all the time. I actually enough parts on hand now that I can sell just parts if needed without having to order everything.

BTW I currently have one guy that thinks $400 is too much to do the following:
  • Replace starter solenoid
  • Replace the bearings in all three spindles
  • Replace all deck idler pulleys
  • Replace both drive belts and idlers pulleys
  • Install one inner tube
  • Replace front wheel bushings
  • Pickup and deliver the mower.
The mower is a 46" 2005 Huskee. Lots of bad bearing noise.

He thinks that is too expensive and I should be doing it for $100. He is nuts.... Currently he owes $75 for replacing the starter solenoid. I done tried to return the mower twice with him missing both appointments. Now he got to arrange his own pickup and return of the mower.

When I had my shop in town (the one I just moved from), there was no real need to advertise. I was at the intersection of two state highways coming into town. Right on the main drag, sort of speak. If it hadn't been for my health issues, I would've still been there. And would've probably made a deal with the owner to buy the place. My side of that shop was the right side.
1651072892730.jpeg

My location now, I got like 1 neighbor. I'm about 8 miles from a town that probably doesn't have 2000 people in it.

I

ILENGINE

Back to backorder heaven. Needing a belt for a CC but currently out of stock with supplier showing -5 and had a run on a certain chainsaw chain on Thursday so needed to order a role of chain that is currently out of stock at my main supplier or I can order from an alternate supplier that shows it in stock, but don't currently think it is worth paying an extra $100 for the roll.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

What chain ya need? I have a few in stock. I looked into buying rolls of chain and making loops but not financially worth it.

I

ILENGINE

What chain ya need? I have a few in stock. I looked into buying rolls of chain and making loops but not financially worth it.
72EXJ100U I have enough left to make maybe a couple 32 inch chains or 4 20" loops if need be. So I am not totally hurting yet.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I don't have any skip tooth stuff.

I

ILENGINE

I don't have any skip tooth stuff.
Skip tooth has been my biggest seller over the last 3-4 years. To the point that I don't even stock normal sequence in 3/8. And would probably be selling it in .325 if it was still available. Now I know there is companies that make skip in.325 but not readily available through the normal channels

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I don't have any customers running skip chain. Heck, 99% of my customers don't know the difference between safety and non-safety chain or full chisel and semi-chisel chain.

B

bertsmobile1

Probably because everything down here is hardwood I rarely ever see skip tooth .
If a customer wants it then I buy a loop
Only keep semi chisel chain on rolls .
Bought a ton of it when Stens changed their supplier really cheap so I can price match most good quality chains on line .
However most idiot customers use Chinese butter chain till it destroys the drive sprockets then complain if I fit one of my chains because they can get a 3 pack off ebay for the same price.
The fact that the cheap chain has destroyed the sprockets before the cutters have been sharpened back 1/4 of their length seems to be beyond their understanding.
They blame the sprockets then come back 2 years latter and want me to fit "better sprockets " .

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

While i like stihl and Oregon chain the best i have had pretty good luck with archer chain. Better than most of the off brand stuff.

I

ILENGINE

I don't have any customers running skip chain. Heck, 99% of my customers don't know the difference between safety and non-safety chain or full chisel and semi-chisel chain.
I originally purchased a roll of the skip link for my customers running bars longer than 24" which is recommended by Oregon for longer bars. Within 6 months I couldn't give away a roll of standard sequence. If you want to increase the performance on a 50cc saw running a 20" bar run skip link. That saw will come to life and really give you a run for your money.

StarTech

StarTech

IL, Do you have anyone using the 3/8 LP skip chain? I still got 4 ea 91PJ062SPMT loops here as I got one customer that runs it.

I

ILENGINE

IL, Do you have anyone using the 3/8 LP skip chain? I still got 4 ea 91PJ062SPMT loops here as I got one customer that runs it.
No, Not that I know of. I don't sell the lp in skip link. Haven't seen the need in that size and what I have seen hasn't been real impressive. I have seen that TriLink makes a full chisel version of the 3/8 lp. May have to try some of that one of these days.

The worse chain in my experience has to the .043 3/8 lp chain. that is some junk chain. I love putting on a new loop and the first chunk of hard oak breaks off half of the cutters. Seems to be fine for pole saws and battery saws, but absolutely worthless on anything else gas powered. Heck, have to be very careful while breaking the chain to make a loop, because if the breaking pin doesn't catch the rivet dead center it will bend the drive links.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I am not a fan of the tri-link chain. Cutters are fairly soft and leaves a burr when sharpening and dulls quickly. The one offshore chain that seems pretty good i have used is Archer. I have never liked the .043 LP stuff. Just dulls too fast on hard wood and gums up quickly on pine. On my MS170 i swapped out the 043 with 050 bar and chain. Huge difference.

I

ILENGINE

I am not a fan of the tri-link chain. Cutters are fairly soft and leaves a burr when sharpening and dulls quickly. The one offshore chain that seems pretty good i have used is Archer. I have never liked the .043 LP stuff. Just dulls too fast on hard wood and gums up quickly on pine. On my MS170 i swapped out the 043 with 050 bar and chain. Huge difference.
I have done the same with the .043 to .050 swap

YuriYaoi561

YuriYaoi561

When I lived in a metropolis, I would hardly have done it on my own. Living in very active big cities makes you lazy and spoiled. I really found it easier to pay someone who knows exactly how to unclog a floor drain in 20 minutes. But now, when I moved to the backwoods of the village, calling a specialist is a whole story. Moreover, I sincerely want to learn how to do everything myself. And if earlier I read with interest only about what tools familiar carpenters use, now I read all the options about extracting a rag from a pipe with no less zeal

I

ILENGINE

I just love customers somedays. Had an irate customer Saturday because all the bar oil leaked out of his saw while setting in the case, and I had replaced the brittle oil line to the oil pump due to an oil leak in December on his Husqvarna. Saw hasn't been touched since, and now the complain is not oiling the bar, and the bar and chain are getting hot. Get the saw into the shop and remove the oil tank cap, and guess what no oil in the tank. So the guy removes the saw from the case, doesn't check the gas or oil, and now it is my fault because it isn't oiling the chain.

Just for an FYI there is no evidence of oil around the oil pump or the oil pickup line where it comes out of the tank. So most likely cause of all the oil leaking out is thermal expansion due to the heating and cooling cycles while setting, pumping the oil through the oil pump out onto the bar and then dripping into the case.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

"Just for an FYI there is no evidence of oil around the oil pump or the oil pickup line where it comes out of the tank. So most likely cause of all the oil leaking out is thermal expansion due to the heating and cooling cycles while setting, pumping the oil through the oil pump out onto the bar and then dripping into the case."

You just described every Poulan chainsaw.

I

ILENGINE

"Just for an FYI there is no evidence of oil around the oil pump or the oil pickup line where it comes out of the tank. So most likely cause of all the oil leaking out is thermal expansion due to the heating and cooling cycles while setting, pumping the oil through the oil pump out onto the bar and then dripping into the case."

You just described every Poulan chainsaw.
And to some degree, every other brand of chainsaw. Currently have a new ran once due to wife putting straight gas into her husbands brand new MS271 that she purchased him for Christmas making a mess on my shop floor.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I have never had the oil problem with the older ms170's but i have seen 2 of the newer ones pooping oil in storage. I wonder what stihl did to "improve" them. The one brand i usually don't have a problem with was stihl. Gotta love progress.

I

ILENGINE

Gotta love those one way duckbill valves that they are using for tank vents. Allows air in but then pressurizes and forces out the oil and makes a mess. Same can be said about some of the fuel tank systems also.