Gravely Pro Turn 160 Headed To Dealer For Warranty Work

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Gravely Pro Turn 160 Headed To Dealer For Warranty Work
Update:
I picked up my mower today. The original equipment fuel caps were swapped out for the older vented style. They said that they tested it thoroughly. We will see tomorrow. I have grass to mow.
I was told to call them immediately if I have any more problems. They said the next step would be to order new fuel tanks. Fingers crossed! ?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
More problems today. It’s still not fixed. The Gravely support technician is supposed to contact me next week. I have just about reached my limit with this mower. At this point, I don’t think it can be fixed. And, that’s exactly what I’m going to tell him. I’m going to do my best to have Gravely swap this mower for a Kohler or Kawasaki powered unit. I don’t think the Chinese made Yamaha is ready for prime time.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Update:
The Yamaha powered Gravely is going back for good. Buyer beware of the Chinese made Yamaha engines.
I talked with my dealer and showed him the spark plugs that I pulled from the engine. They were both carbon fouled. They both had oil on the threads. Yes, the engine is using a little oil too. The left hand plug would lose it’s torque in the head. The engine RPMs fluctuate at all speeds. The fuel filter had NO trash in it.
We made a deal. He is going to allow me a full credit for the mower and I pay him $1500 to upgrade to a Pro Turn 260 with a Kohler Confidant ZT740. I’m going to do the deal.
I have to say, my local Gravely dealer is fantastic.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
sounds like a good outcome
problem is what are they going to do with the dud engine

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
sounds like a good outcome
problem is what are they going to do with the dud engine
Probably drop a new Yamaha engine in it and use it as a loaner for their big commercial customers.
It’s a dud alright. The erratic engine RPMs and the engine vibration at mid throttle is an indicator of big trouble to come. I should have cut open the oil filter from my last oil change.
I definitely DO NOT recommend any of the Yamaha mower engines.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I picked up my new Pro Turn 260 today. The Kohler ZT740 appears to be a little easier to service than the Yamaha engine. The Yamaha is a 65 degree v-twin and the Kohler is a 90 degree v-twin. This allows for easier access to the spark plugs. I will have to remove the rear bumper assembly to adjust the valves. It seems to be making more power than the Yamaha. It will be sunny and drier tomorrow. This will give me the chance to level and pitch the deck. The ZT5400 hydros will require twice the oil.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just finished leveling and pitching the deck on the new Pro Turn 260. I put on some lightly used Gator G6 blades and I ran a small test mowing. I am amazed how much better the Kohler engine performs versus my former Yamaha powered unit. The Yamaha engine is rated at 26.5hp and the Kohler is rated at 25hp. There’s no way the Yamaha was making near that power. Heck, a formerly owned Toro, with the 24.5hp Loncin, performed better than the Yamaha MX800v. That Yamaha engine was a dud. The Kohler engine idles smoothly and doesn’t drop out like the Yamaha. I thought that I was going to have a problem cranking it, after sitting overnight. That wasn’t the case. It cranks easily.
I hope this will be the last mower that I have to buy.

Ron3

Threads
According to my local dealer the new kohler engines are giving very little trouble. I would bet you will be very with yours.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
According to my local dealer the new kohler engines are giving very little trouble. I would bet you will be very with yours.
I sure hope so. That experience with the Yamaha was anything other than satisfying. The Kohler just plain sounds better at idle speed. Heck, any engine speed for that matter.

Ron3

Threads
I bought a new badboy MZ 42 for my 3/4 acre lot this spring with a kohler 19 hp and I could not be happier with it. Plenty of power and good fuel economy and not a minutes trouble.