Export thread

Gravely Pro Turn 160 Headed To Dealer For Warranty Work

M

MParr

Here’s a little background. I bought this mower on 4/29/2021. It’s powered by a Yamaha MX800V. It currently has 59.4 hours on it. This is the carbureted engine.
It gives a good cut. The problem is with engine performance. I didn’t want to do anything other than routine maintenance to it while under warranty. I’m not going to waste my time trying to diagnose it. I have replaced the fuel filter twice. The problem seems to be a fuel delivery issue. I can be cutting at full throttle and hit a bump and it will cut out. Then it will catch back up. It will do the same thing if I turn hard in either direction. This happens on both fuel tanks.
The dealer can try and fix it. I really don’t have a lot of confidence that it can or will be fixed. Yamaha is just too new to this game

I

ILENGINE

Does it blow black smoke when it acts up. Almost sounds like the float level is too high and bumps and turns causing it to ingest extra fuel from the bowl vent. The other thing could be a sensitive seat switch causing issues.

M

MParr

Does it blow black smoke when it acts up. Almost sounds like the float level is too high and bumps and turns causing it to ingest extra fuel from the bowl vent. The other thing could be a sensitive seat switch causing issues.
It’s not the seat switch. I haven’t noticed any smoke. Kawasaki had similar problems in the past. I’ll let the dealer sort it out. I don’t want to do anything that might void the warranty. They can take the back end off of it and try to fix it. I doubt it can be fixed. I’m thinking about trying to get Gravely to take it back for a Kohler powered unit.

M

MParr

I just got back from my Gravely dealer. There is a TSB for the carburetor float. The part is ordered and should be in on Tuesday.
I also mentioned about the unit “singing” or whistling at all times. This may be a fuel venting issue.
I also found the left side spark plug not torqued down properly.

M

MParr

The carburetor float came in and my PT 160 is in for repair. I honestly don’t think the replacement float is going to fix it.
I mowed today and about 2 acres in, it shut off. Exactly like it ran out of gas. I switched tanks, choked it, and it fired right up. By the way, I was mowing on flat ground when this happened. I was able to finish. No skipping, no sputtering, no surging.
Under warranty, it will go back if not fixed. I’ll have them pull the left side tank and clean it, replace the fuel lines, and fuel valve.

B

bertsmobile1

Just a warning.
If they find debris in the fuel tank & /or lines. that is not a warranty situation.
As such you can be looking at a 4 or more hour labour bill .

M

MParr

Just a warning.
If they find debris in the fuel tank & /or lines. that is not a warranty situation.
As such you can be looking at a 4 or more hour labour bill .
It’s been doing the same thing since it was new. 63.2 hours on the machine.
2 year warranty with no limits on hours.
Warranty Terms Exclusions: Air filters, brake arms, brake linings, brake shoes, brushes, cutters, fuel filters, halogen headlights, knives, halogen light bulbs, lubricants, mower blades, oil, oil filters, spark plugs, scraper blades, shear bolts, skid shoes and spoon tines.

B

bertsmobile1

It’s been doing the same thing since it was new. 63.2 hours on the machine.
2 year warranty with no limits on hours.
Warranty Terms Exclusions: Air filters, brake arms, brake linings, brake shoes, brushes, cutters, fuel filters, halogen headlights, knives, halogen light bulbs, lubricants, mower blades, oil, oil filters, spark plugs, scraper blades, shear bolts, skid shoes and spoon tines.
Debris in the fuel tank is considered "owner abuse" and not a manufacturing nor materials defect .
Trust me I have been down this road before .
There was a thread way way back on debris in fuel tanks and the stuff that people said they found in tanks was staggering from things like condoms , gum wrappers & cigerette butts through to a refuling gun .

M

MParr

Debris in the fuel tank is considered "owner abuse" and not a manufacturing nor materials defect .
Trust me I have been down this road before .
There was a thread way way back on debris in fuel tanks and the stuff that people said they found in tanks was staggering from things like condoms , gum wrappers & cigerette butts through to a refuling gun .
If there’s anything in there, it is from the manufacturing process. I’m going to ask anyway.
I paid too much for this mower for it to shut down every time that I mow.

M

MParr

I talked with Ariens customer service this morning. He asked a bunch of questions and I answered to the best of my ability. He agrees with me that it is a fuel delivery problem. There are others having similar problems.
We will see.

M

MParr

I think it’s vapor lock. The left hand fuel tank is farthest from the valve. We have high temperatures and humidity here. 95F in the shade is very common during the summer. Add ambient temperature with humidity and engine temperature, there can be problems. Proper venting of the fuel tanks is likely involved too. I’ve never had a mower give off a whistling/singing sound while sitting in storage.

M

MParr

Got a call that my mower was ready to be picked up. I’ll find out what all was done. If the updated carburetor float was all that was done, it won’t be fixed.
I’ll find out tomorrow.

M

MParr

Well, I won’t be able to pick it up until Tuesday. The dealership was closed from Friday evening until Tuesday morning. My grass is getting pretty tall. I sure hope that it’s fixed. I have my doubts.

M

MParr

UPDATE
I got my mower back today. A carburetor kit was installed along with the updated float.
I just finished mowing. Twelve days of growth and 2.75” of rain since it was last mowed. Great conditions to try it out. 90F in the shade.
I have to report that it DID NOT shut down. That’s a good sign.
I was thinking it was vapor locking or the fuel tank venting and EVAP system was the problem.
I’ll wait and see. Fingers crossed ?

M

MParr

Update: It went back to the dealer today. It cut off 3 times today, while mowing. The fuel delivery problem is not fixed. Mowing conditions 92F, partly cloudy, and high humidity. The first time it cut off, I switched tanks, choked it, and it fired right up. After it cranked, I switched back to the tank I was drawing from. It ran well for a while and did the same thing. I repeated this procedure. It shut off once more and I repeated the procedure and was able to finish on the original fuel tank. It’s either vapor locking, the venting system is not functioning properly, or there’s trash in the tank. I still say it’s a venting problem. Maybe the dealer will put on some old school vented fuel caps. ?‍♂️

H

hlw49

It could be plastic shavings from manufacturing. I have seen this and that would be warranty. Defects in material and workmanship.

M

MParr

It could be plastic shavings from manufacturing. I have seen this and that would be warranty. Defects in material and workmanship.
I mentioned that to the dealer.

H

hlw49

If it cuts off again and you switch tanks and it starts back up leave it on that tank and see if it cuts off on that tank. If it doesn't do cut off then it sounds like it would be debre in the other tank.

M

MParr

If it cuts off again and you switch tanks and it starts back up leave it on that tank and see if it cuts off on that tank. If it doesn't do cut off then it sounds like it would be debre in the other tank.
Will do! What puzzles me is the whistling noise coming from both fuel tanks. It does this when it’s running or is sitting in my storage building. I’ve never experienced this before on any mower that I’ve owned.

M

MParr

There is a lot of pressure buildup in the fuel tanks. Below is a video of the noise it’s making. It does this 24/7. It does it when running or sitting in my storage building. EPA garbage. My dealer needs to fix the blasted thing. It’s under warranty so, I shouldn’t have to fix it. My 2019 Toro ZX5400 didn’t do this.

M

MParr

Update:
I picked up my mower today. The original equipment fuel caps were swapped out for the older vented style. They said that they tested it thoroughly. We will see tomorrow. I have grass to mow.
I was told to call them immediately if I have any more problems. They said the next step would be to order new fuel tanks. Fingers crossed! ?

M

MParr

More problems today. It’s still not fixed. The Gravely support technician is supposed to contact me next week. I have just about reached my limit with this mower. At this point, I don’t think it can be fixed. And, that’s exactly what I’m going to tell him. I’m going to do my best to have Gravely swap this mower for a Kohler or Kawasaki powered unit. I don’t think the Chinese made Yamaha is ready for prime time.

M

MParr

Update:
The Yamaha powered Gravely is going back for good. Buyer beware of the Chinese made Yamaha engines.
I talked with my dealer and showed him the spark plugs that I pulled from the engine. They were both carbon fouled. They both had oil on the threads. Yes, the engine is using a little oil too. The left hand plug would lose it’s torque in the head. The engine RPMs fluctuate at all speeds. The fuel filter had NO trash in it.
We made a deal. He is going to allow me a full credit for the mower and I pay him $1500 to upgrade to a Pro Turn 260 with a Kohler Confidant ZT740. I’m going to do the deal.
I have to say, my local Gravely dealer is fantastic.

B

bertsmobile1

sounds like a good outcome
problem is what are they going to do with the dud engine

M

MParr

sounds like a good outcome
problem is what are they going to do with the dud engine
Probably drop a new Yamaha engine in it and use it as a loaner for their big commercial customers.
It’s a dud alright. The erratic engine RPMs and the engine vibration at mid throttle is an indicator of big trouble to come. I should have cut open the oil filter from my last oil change.
I definitely DO NOT recommend any of the Yamaha mower engines.

M

MParr

I picked up my new Pro Turn 260 today. The Kohler ZT740 appears to be a little easier to service than the Yamaha engine. The Yamaha is a 65 degree v-twin and the Kohler is a 90 degree v-twin. This allows for easier access to the spark plugs. I will have to remove the rear bumper assembly to adjust the valves. It seems to be making more power than the Yamaha. It will be sunny and drier tomorrow. This will give me the chance to level and pitch the deck. The ZT5400 hydros will require twice the oil.

M

MParr

I just finished leveling and pitching the deck on the new Pro Turn 260. I put on some lightly used Gator G6 blades and I ran a small test mowing. I am amazed how much better the Kohler engine performs versus my former Yamaha powered unit. The Yamaha engine is rated at 26.5hp and the Kohler is rated at 25hp. There’s no way the Yamaha was making near that power. Heck, a formerly owned Toro, with the 24.5hp Loncin, performed better than the Yamaha MX800v. That Yamaha engine was a dud. The Kohler engine idles smoothly and doesn’t drop out like the Yamaha. I thought that I was going to have a problem cranking it, after sitting overnight. That wasn’t the case. It cranks easily.
I hope this will be the last mower that I have to buy.

Ron3

Ron3

According to my local dealer the new kohler engines are giving very little trouble. I would bet you will be very with yours.

M

MParr

According to my local dealer the new kohler engines are giving very little trouble. I would bet you will be very with yours.
I sure hope so. That experience with the Yamaha was anything other than satisfying. The Kohler just plain sounds better at idle speed. Heck, any engine speed for that matter.

Ron3

Ron3

I bought a new badboy MZ 42 for my 3/4 acre lot this spring with a kohler 19 hp and I could not be happier with it. Plenty of power and good fuel economy and not a minutes trouble.

M

MParr

I bought a new badboy MZ 42 for my 3/4 acre lot this spring with a kohler 19 hp and I could not be happier with it. Plenty of power and good fuel economy and not a minutes trouble.
That Yamaha was so bad, it took nearly 5 gallons of gas to mow 3 acres.

Ron3

Ron3

That Yamaha was so bad, it took nearly 5 gallons of gas to mow 3 acres.
You will like the kohler ! parts and service is available everywhere but I double you will need that for a very long time.

M

MParr

You will like the kohler ! parts and service is available everywhere but I double you will need that for a very long time.
That’s a good thing. I won’t do anything other than scheduled maintenance while it’s under warranty.
I need to buy me an oil filter cutter. I sure wished that I had one when I had the Yamaha engine. I believe that I would have found some metal in the last Yamaha oil filter.

Ron3

Ron3

That’s a good thing. I won’t do anything other than scheduled maintenance while it’s under warranty.
I need to buy me an oil filter cutter. I sure wished that I had one when I had the Yamaha engine. I believe that I would have found some metal in the last Yamaha oil filter.

Ron3

Ron3

When you change the filter and sharpen the blades the first time expect them to be very tight (must be a kohler liability thing.)Good luck with your new mower.

M

MParr

When you change the filter and sharpen the blades the first time expect them to be very tight (must be a kohler liability thing.)Good luck with your new mower.
Thanks!
The blade swap went well. I use a 1/2” DeWalt cordless impact wrench.
I plan on doing the first oil change at 5 hours. I have a NAPA Gold 1348 ready to go.

M

MParr

It looks like Gravely has dropped the Yamaha engine offerings. Either people didn’t buy them or they were duds. I believe they were duds because, Bad Boy also dropped them.