Gravely Pro Turn 160 Headed To Dealer For Warranty Work

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Gravely Pro Turn 160 Headed To Dealer For Warranty Work
Here’s a little background. I bought this mower on 4/29/2021. It’s powered by a Yamaha MX800V. It currently has 59.4 hours on it. This is the carbureted engine.
It gives a good cut. The problem is with engine performance. I didn’t want to do anything other than routine maintenance to it while under warranty. I’m not going to waste my time trying to diagnose it. I have replaced the fuel filter twice. The problem seems to be a fuel delivery issue. I can be cutting at full throttle and hit a bump and it will cut out. Then it will catch back up. It will do the same thing if I turn hard in either direction. This happens on both fuel tanks.
The dealer can try and fix it. I really don’t have a lot of confidence that it can or will be fixed. Yamaha is just too new to this game

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does it blow black smoke when it acts up. Almost sounds like the float level is too high and bumps and turns causing it to ingest extra fuel from the bowl vent. The other thing could be a sensitive seat switch causing issues.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it blow black smoke when it acts up. Almost sounds like the float level is too high and bumps and turns causing it to ingest extra fuel from the bowl vent. The other thing could be a sensitive seat switch causing issues.
It’s not the seat switch. I haven’t noticed any smoke. Kawasaki had similar problems in the past. I’ll let the dealer sort it out. I don’t want to do anything that might void the warranty. They can take the back end off of it and try to fix it. I doubt it can be fixed. I’m thinking about trying to get Gravely to take it back for a Kohler powered unit.

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just got back from my Gravely dealer. There is a TSB for the carburetor float. The part is ordered and should be in on Tuesday.
I also mentioned about the unit “singing” or whistling at all times. This may be a fuel venting issue.
I also found the left side spark plug not torqued down properly.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The carburetor float came in and my PT 160 is in for repair. I honestly don’t think the replacement float is going to fix it.
I mowed today and about 2 acres in, it shut off. Exactly like it ran out of gas. I switched tanks, choked it, and it fired right up. By the way, I was mowing on flat ground when this happened. I was able to finish. No skipping, no sputtering, no surging.
Under warranty, it will go back if not fixed. I’ll have them pull the left side tank and clean it, replace the fuel lines, and fuel valve.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just a warning.
If they find debris in the fuel tank & /or lines. that is not a warranty situation.
As such you can be looking at a 4 or more hour labour bill .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just a warning.
If they find debris in the fuel tank & /or lines. that is not a warranty situation.
As such you can be looking at a 4 or more hour labour bill .
It’s been doing the same thing since it was new. 63.2 hours on the machine.
2 year warranty with no limits on hours.
Warranty Terms Exclusions: Air filters, brake arms, brake linings, brake shoes, brushes, cutters, fuel filters, halogen headlights, knives, halogen light bulbs, lubricants, mower blades, oil, oil filters, spark plugs, scraper blades, shear bolts, skid shoes and spoon tines.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It’s been doing the same thing since it was new. 63.2 hours on the machine.
2 year warranty with no limits on hours.
Warranty Terms Exclusions: Air filters, brake arms, brake linings, brake shoes, brushes, cutters, fuel filters, halogen headlights, knives, halogen light bulbs, lubricants, mower blades, oil, oil filters, spark plugs, scraper blades, shear bolts, skid shoes and spoon tines.
Debris in the fuel tank is considered "owner abuse" and not a manufacturing nor materials defect .
Trust me I have been down this road before .
There was a thread way way back on debris in fuel tanks and the stuff that people said they found in tanks was staggering from things like condoms , gum wrappers & cigerette butts through to a refuling gun .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Debris in the fuel tank is considered "owner abuse" and not a manufacturing nor materials defect .
Trust me I have been down this road before .
There was a thread way way back on debris in fuel tanks and the stuff that people said they found in tanks was staggering from things like condoms , gum wrappers & cigerette butts through to a refuling gun .
If there’s anything in there, it is from the manufacturing process. I’m going to ask anyway.
I paid too much for this mower for it to shut down every time that I mow.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I talked with Ariens customer service this morning. He asked a bunch of questions and I answered to the best of my ability. He agrees with me that it is a fuel delivery problem. There are others having similar problems.
We will see.