Fuel

billroy1

Threads
Wow, I never Knew I was putting alcohol (Heet) in my gas to get rid of the ethanol in the gas I bought in the first place, and then bragging about how well it works, I was obviously thinking out loud, it just doesn't make sense, Thank you for all the info

Johner

Threads
The great ethanol vs non-ethanol debate rages on!!!!

Just like oil, oil filters, spark plugs use what gas makes you happy. I have about 30 things with gas engines that all run regular pump gas and i have stored regular gas in cans for over a year. Never had an issue. I guess i am just luckier than most.
I also store pump gas and use a stabilizer all year (marine type) . I get less work because most of the customers back with less fuel problems. They finally took my advice. Keep the fuel out of the direct sun you will have less problems.

Johner

Threads
Wow, I never Knew I was putting alcohol (Heet) in my gas to get rid of the ethanol in the gas I bought in the first place, and then bragging about how well it works, I was obviously thinking out loud, it just doesn't make sense, Thank you for all the info
2cycle engines must us 89 octane or better, has less heat than 87.

rdedrick

Threads
Is it really worth the extra price (Over a dollar a gallon extra) to get ethanol free fuel for mowers? I have a 18 hp Briggs & Stratton engine engine on my riding mower, I have a small small push mower and I have a 2-cycle weedeater. I’m in south Alabama, 65 miles from the coast. The past several years, I’ve cranked up the weedeater during the off growing season just to polish up what I may not have weed-eated earlier – just to run it for a little bit. I may or may not do that for the push mower. The riding mower is used to drag limbs to a burn pile so it gets cranked every so often in the ‘cold’ season. We’re not long out of growing season and we don’t have really cold winters.
I’m just wondering if there’s something I can do different or is there just no reason for the non-ethynol fuel at my location.
I appreciate your thoughts and time!
How many gallons do you actually go through? I usually burn about 5 gallons per mowing cycle. That is an extra $5. Certainly worth it for the lack of aggravation I have experienced in the past. The two stroke stuff preforms much better on gasoline as well.

Skippydiesel

Threads
I do not use ethanol blended fuel.

The above statement is a personal choice, not a support of all the BS about E blend fuels.

## Modern engined will & do run just fine on E fuel - fact!
## Older engined fuel systems (tank to carburettor) are likly to be negatively impacted/damaged by the ethanol - don't use E blends!

Ethanol is less energy dense than petrol - a petrol E blend, will deliver less power per litre, than a straight petrol of the same quality. The result is higher fuel consumption for a given output = less mpg/mpk or less grass area mown for the same fuel consumption.

You, as a consumer, will have to decide if the lower purchase price of Eblend, results in less, more or equal, cost per unit area of grass mown.

E is hygroscopic - storage of E (in tank or jerry) may result in free water collecting in the bottom of the tank, and or fuel system causing corrosion of metal components potentially development of bacterial growth/scum/gel - do not store E blend for extended periods in your engine or in metal containers.

I doubt the environmental benefits of E, given the energy ( diesel and other chemicals) that go into its production.

The use of E blend is manageable, it's use comes down to personal choice (if alternatives available).

RevB

Threads
2cycle engines must us 89 octane or better, has less heat than 87.
Bullshit. Stop spreading crap. The effective compression ratio of any utility two stroke is around 6 to 7 to one, no where near detonation territory and added octane only has the effect of draining your bank account faster.

Get an education......