Engine Fuel Stabilizer?

Threads
So the winter is over and there is a full tank of gas in my snowblower. It was supposed to be used up when we got a foot of snow, but the forecast changed at the last minute and we ended up getting only a coating. Last year, I just kept the gas in the tank, and ran it once a month or so over the summer. But this year, should I add stabilizer? I don't want to get into a big debate about whether to drain the tank or add stabilizer, but I do want to know if there is a certain type of fuel stabilizer I should buy.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Drain the tank. Your suppose to add stabilizer the same day it comes out of the pump. Its not done snowing yet. There calling for more here on Sunday night to Tuesday. I heard 12 to 20 inches right now.

lzn197

Threads
That primarily depends on if you have Ethanol in the fuel in your tank and if the machine is stored in a heated area. If you do have Ethanol, be sure the stabilizer you use is for Ethanol fuels. If it's stored in a heated area, run it dry of fuel and put in fresh fuel when you need to run it again.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have opened up a can now.

I run gas with ethanol in it and let it sit for a few months and never had any problems.

Now when I let people borrow my things and they add fuel additives to the gas I have problems.

I think the crap people add to the gas is what causes problems not the ethanol.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just keep the gas run it every few weeks until it gets up to temp... It's what I've done for years I will continue to do it works. Bad gas still burns just don't let it sit to long it'll gum up the carb

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I run gas with ethanol in it and let it sit for a few months and never had any problems.

Now when I let people borrow my things and they add fuel additives to the gas I have problems.

I'm with you on this one, I'd leave the stabilizer in the store on there shelf. I'm like you I think it causes more problems than what it's worth.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads

I'm with you on this one, I'd leave the stabilizer in the store on there shelf. I'm like you I think it causes more problems than what it's worth.

It all depends what stabilizer you use on if it causes problems or not. You MUST run stabilizer if your using gas with ethanol unless you dump it within a 30 days after buying it from the pump. I had no problems with ethanol shield and getting ready to try the K100 here soon.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

I have to agree 100% on this one. Adding junk into the gas causes a lot of problems. I just turn the key off and it starts at the beginning of the season.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It all depends what stabilizer you use on if it causes problems or not. You MUST run stabilizer if your using gas with ethanol unless you dump it within a 30 days after buying it from the pump. I had no problems with ethanol shield and getting ready to try the K100 here soon.

This 30 day thing about dumping gas is a myth, For one gas can be fine for up to 90 days depending on how it's stored. It also depends on the quality of the gas and the octane level you buy. Most people who buy gas buy the cheapest stuff they can find and that's what they get, cheap quality gas. The upper end gas or top tier gas like Sunoco, Shell or Mobil they have additives that prolong its life and your engines will run better on the top tier stuff than the cheap crap and you'll get better gas mileage.. If the gas sets for a prolong period say 60 to 90 days you don't dump it, you can just add fresh to it and it solves any problems itself. The thing you here people complain about is Ethanol and two and four cycle gas for yard equipment, that stuff can be stored for a long time and you should never add stabilizer to mixed gas, doing so just creates problems.

Last edited:

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
This 30 day thing about dumping gas is a myth, For one gas can be fine for up to 90 days depending on how it's stored. It also depends on the quality of the gas and the octane level you buy. Most people who buy gas buy the cheapest stuff they can find and that's what they get, cheap quality gas. The upper end gas or top tier gas like Sunoco, Shell or Mobil they have additives that prolong its life and your engines will run better on the top tier stuff than the cheap crap and you'll get better gas mileage.. If the gas sets for a prolong period say 60 to 90 days you don't dump it, you can just add fresh to it and it solves any problems itself. The thing you here people complain about is Ethanol and two and four cycle gas for yard equipment, that stuff can be stored for a long time and you should never add stabilizer to mixed gas, doing so just creates problems.

Yes you do have to dump it. Just causes more problems and experienced this myself with Shell regular gas. I had better success using stabilizer with Shell regular than not using stabilizer. Now K100 is supposed to bring old gas back to life from what I read on it.

Last edited by a moderator: