For those interested in Alternative Fuels

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi group,

If you want to have a looksee at what's happening in Commercial Mower news look here:

Offering Propane Equipment and Conversions - Green Industry Pros

And here:

More mowers turning to propane fuel | CharlotteObserver.com

If you have any questions give me a holler...

I have been thinking about having someone do a propane conversion to one of my small walk behinds.... A couple questions how do I transport extra fuel? In a regular propane tank like for a grill? And how much would a conversion cost for an older 5 HP Suzuki 4 cycle? Also would I lose power or torque where would I get a conversion kit. I'm not completely sold but people want me to consider it

Also is there a way to convert small 2 cycle equipment to propane with the same questions as above

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
I have been thinking about having someone do a propane conversion to one of my small walk behinds.... A couple questions how do I transport extra fuel? In a regular propane tank like for a grill? And how much would a conversion cost for an older 5 HP Suzuki 4 cycle? Also would I lose power or torque where would I get a conversion kit. I'm not completely sold but people want me to consider it

Also is there a way to convert small 2 cycle equipment to propane with the same questions as above

Howdy exotion!

Nothing in the works for 2 strokes. Honestly, I don't think that's going to happen.

Typically a push mower will use 5lb tanks (one gallon). You can use larger tanks as long as the mower stays manageable.

A typical kit runs around 450-500 with 5lb cylinder and bracket.

There are those who will argue the point about power but I haven't had any complaints. My customers run a combined 800+ units with no complaints from the cutters.

I can hook you up with a supplier if you want to give me a shout. terry@cleanfuellpg.com

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I see more disadvantages then advantages. Harder to refuel, exhaust fumes stink, lose power, not any cheaper to operate, large heavy fuel tank, disadvantages. Engine burns cleaner is the only advantage I can see. Got to be a reason you are thinking of doing so other then that? Maybe it looks neat?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Howdy exotion!

Nothing in the works for 2 strokes. Honestly, I don't think that's going to happen.

Typically a push mower will use 5lb tanks (one gallon). You can use larger tanks as long as the mower stays manageable.

A typical kit runs around 450-500 with 5lb cylinder and bracket.

There are those who will argue the point about power but I haven't had any complaints. My customers run a combined 800+ units with no complaints from the cutters.

I can hook you up with a supplier if you want to give me a shout. terry@cleanfuellpg.com

That seems a touch pricey for a propane kit? I expected a couple hundred bucks. Yes there are disadvantages but my wifes family is full of hippies who drive priuses lol i am not sure if I want to drop 500 ish bucks on an experiment :/ especially on the mower I would put it on is from the mid eighties lol

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
I see more disadvantages then advantages. Harder to refuel, exhaust fumes stink, lose power, not any cheaper to operate, large heavy fuel tank, disadvantages. Engine burns cleaner is the only advantage I can see. Got to be a reason you are thinking of doing so other then that? Maybe it looks neat?

1. Propane burns cleaner.
2. Propane is a domestic fuel.
3. Propane is up to 60% less expensive than gasoline.
5. Propane has 21% MORE power per pound than gasoline.
6. Propane is a minimum 107 octane.
7. Oil changes can be extended up to 3 times.
8. Propane contains no ethanol.
9. Propane doesn't go "bad" on the shelf.
10. Propane can't be stolen.
11. Legislation (see urls above) is coming to limit the use of gasoline for commercial mowing.
12. Many customers appreciate the efforts to reduce your carbon footprint.
13. Many municipal customers will accept the bid for a "Clean/Green" supplier over polluters.
14. Almost all HOAs will do business with a "Clean/Green" supplier because they are less polluting and quieter.
15. Fewer complaints from employees about emissions.
16. Much easier starting with propane.
17. No annual carb rebuilds with propane.
18. The conversion equipment can be transferred to a new unit.
19. Mowers last up to three times longer with propane.
20. Used units are worth more at resale because the engine has substantially less wear.

I'll stop at Twenty. There are many more not the least of which is "just wanting to do the right thing."

I'm curious, how many mowers did you run on propane? I'd really like to hear of your experience with them.

Regards!

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
That seems a touch pricey for a propane kit? I expected a couple hundred bucks. Yes there are disadvantages but my wifes family is full of hippies who drive priuses lol i am not sure if I want to drop 500 ish bucks on an experiment :/ especially on the mower I would put it on is from the mid eighties lol

It's suggested you run a compression/leakdown check first. Is it OHV?

The majority of the cost is the regulator/lockoff assembly at almost $300. The majority of pushmowers are done by Commercial cutters who run everything on propane. Vehicles, Z's, walk behinds, standers, trimmers, blowers, pumps, gensets, loaders, and even a couple of well drillers run on propane. There are many more applications...

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
exhaust fumes stink,

Mostly carbon dioxide and water. That's why its used on forklifts. It is 80% less toxic than gasoline exhaust which can, I guess smell GOOD to some folks. Typically the CO is about 8ppm. This is less than the 20ppm allowed as "acceptable" for CO in a residence. 20ppm is the upper limit though.

Can you smell the difference? I certainly can. But I've been driving with propane for almost thirty years.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only equipment I run on propane is my cooking stove, outside gas grill, my camp furnace. Other then that I know nothing about using it in a mower. That is what I was asking just what would be the advantages. I have been around gasoline engines all my life other then years ago I do recall working on some engines ran on propane. Yes I do remember they were very clean running. Seeing you do run and use them you know a lot more then I do. In my mine I see a big old propane tank of a small push mower and a big pain refilling the tank like my gas grill. I can go to any gas station and fill my gas can very easy and any day. Yes they do come to my house and fill my cook stove and furnace tank. Not such a good thing for my gas grill which I have to exchange tanks at the local hardware store when they are open. Just maybe do you have your own filling station or do you just have spare tanks?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have been thinking about having someone do a propane conversion to one of my small walk behinds.... A couple questions how do I transport extra fuel? In a regular propane tank like for a grill? And how much would a conversion cost for an older 5 HP Suzuki 4 cycle? Also would I lose power or torque where would I get a conversion kit. I'm not completely sold but people want me to consider it Also is there a way to convert small 2 cycle equipment to propane with the same questions as above

I don't remember who sold them but you could get a propane trimmer. Did not go over real good. It used small bottles like you use on a camping grill. One bottle would last about 20 mins.

IMO it is not worth it to convert just one mower. Now if you have 5 or more mowers and they are new then maybe it would be worth it.
Look at it this way you buy a $5000 mower then $400 to convert to propane. How much money do you think you will save keeping the mower two years. Let's say 1000 hours.

Now if you run your mower 8 to 10 hours a day you have to Change the tank or find a place to fill it 3 times each day.