Echo or Stihl??? which do u prefer

CZLawnCare

Threads
I support stihl and stihl only. My whole family has and always will. You could come to me and say i'll give you this echo free and i would refuse. Stihl has built up a great reputation over the years and i have NEVER had a problem with any of my stihls!

Parkmower

Threads
It's funny cause echo is not even considered around here. It's mainly stihl vs Husqvarna for power equip.
Now that's a whole other thread
Stihl vs Husqvarna?

Shedmechanic

Threads
My two cents.....I support STIHL because of my beliefs...I believe that equipment manufacturers that only deal through dealers. I have had a Stihl MS 270 for 8 years now with no problems. I have a Shindaiwa trimmer (when they were owned by Shindaiwa, not Echo) and have had no problems with it for 7 years. My father had an Echo blower for over 9 years with no problems. I think that as far as chainsaws go though, if you stick to major brands you won't have a problem whether it is Echo, Husqvarna, Solo, Efco, or Dolmar. I have used them all but I prefer personally to own my Stihl when it comes to a chainsaw. I say all that to say this.....Craftsman from Sears used to be an excellent brand and they had customer service that wasn't bad. As for today, the customer comes last and profit comes first at Sears. They sell garbage and the sales folks I have dealt with during the past two years are so un-informed of their items they sell, I wouldn't trust a thing they tell me. The only thing Craftsman worth buying nowadays is the hand tools, not the power tools, but screwdrivers, etc. In a recent article in Popular Mechanics, table saws were reviewed and they refused to review Craftsman table saw and gave their safety reason. When Sears commented on the safety flaw, the response from the company didn't say they were going to correct the safety flaw, but instead they were going to add another "warning" sticker on their existing units. SEARS IS A JOKE.

Last edited:

mikeypizano

Threads
My two cents.....I support STIHL because of my beliefs...I believe that equipment manufacturers that only deal through dealers. I have had a Stihl MS 270 for 8 years now with no problems. I have a Shindaiwa trimmer (when they were owned by Shindaiwa, not Echo) and have had no problems with it for 7 years. My father had an Echo blower for over 9 years with no problems. I think that as far as chainsaws go though, if you stick to major brands you won't have a problem whether it is Echo, Husqvarna, Solo, Efco, or Dolmar. I have used them all but I prefer personally to own my Stihl when it comes to a chainsaw. I say all that to say this.....Craftsman from Sears used to be an excellent brand and they had customer service that wasn't bad. As for today, the customer comes last and profit comes first at Sears. They sell garbage and the sales folks I have dealt with during the past two years are so un-informed of their items they sell, I wouldn't trust a thing they tell me. The only thing Craftsman worth buying nowadays is the hand tools, not the power tools, but screwdrivers, etc. In a recent article in Popular Mechanics, table saws were reviewed and they refused to review Craftsman table saw and gave their safety reason. When Sears commented on the safety flaw, the response from the company didn't say they were going to correct the safety flaw, but instead they were going to add another "warning" sticker on their existing units. SEARS IS A JOKE.

Yep, I barely even go to Sears anymore. I would rather spend the extra now for something good.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep, I barely even go to Sears anymore. I would rather spend the extra now for something good.

The problem with Sears is the fact that anymore you don't know what you're buying or should I say who it's really made by. They basically just stick there Sears name on anything and everything and call it a Kenmore. Since Sears bought out Kmart I think that's what they have become.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The reason I prefer and support the Stihl is like someone else said, I like the fact that they only deal through dealers. Do to the fact that Stihl I believe has concentrated on serving the commercial operator it only makes sense they would make a better machine, unlike Echo whose market is the Homeowner and uses Home Depot to sell there equipment. That's not to say that Echo is a bad piece of equipment but when I see it on the shelves with Homelite, Black & Decker, Ryobi, Poulan and others it just gives me an uneasy feeling. :rolleyes:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a ryobi it is 6 years old I use it to trim bushes till flower beds and cut brush with a brush blade. The only thing I have done to it a air filter and a plug starts right up and has plenty of power. I know a few people that have them and they all love them

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a ryobi it is 6 years old I use it to trim bushes till flower beds and cut brush with a brush blade. The only thing I have done to it a air filter and a plug starts right up and has plenty of power. I know a few people that have them and they all love them

I'm pretty sure that is actually made by Homelite. I have the big one with a TORO brand. I don't use it a lot but it's been very reliable and very powerful. It's got a big engine something like 22 cubic CCs? I don't remember but you can tell by the way it sounds it's a big engine.
I just replaced the fuel line from the tank filter to the carb last week. I got everything at Lowes so that was convenient....

Last edited:

Parkmower

Threads
I have an old weedeater featherlite that's goin on 20 years old. Only used around the house. But no major problems. I also have a hoffco straight shaft not sure the model.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Don't get me wrong, but if you have a 6 year old Ryobi you've done well but I think everyone can agree that it's not in the same class as the Echo or the Stihl and that was my point about Echo being on the shelf with those type units. I would think if Echo wants to sell at BB stores at least they could set up a commercial section so people would know the difference.

I'm pretty sure that is actually made by Homelite. I have the big one with a TORO brand. I don't use it a lot but it's been very reliable and very powerful. It's got a big engine something like 22 cubic CCs? I don't remember but you can tell by the way it sounds it's a big engine.
I just replaced the fuel line from the tank filter to the carb last week. I got everything at Lowes so that was convenient....

As I said before the Toro is a good occasional use or residential unit but keep in mind when you say the 22cc engine is a big engine that the Stihl engine displacement starts at 27.2cc and goes as high as 40.2 cc on the commercial end.