Dixie Chopper LT2700 started blowing white smoke suddenly

bijiminy

Threads
  • / Dixie Chopper LT2700 started blowing white smoke suddenly
I highly recommend you change the oil and the oil filter. An over filled crankcase is a sign of gas leaking into the crankcase from the carburetor. Gas in the crankcase changes the viscosity of the oil and may result in engine damage if you continue to operate the mower without changing the oil. I know this because it happened to me. It also smoked as you described. My problem was solved with a rebuild of the carburetor. I acted quickly and the engine was not damaged.
Will do. Thanks

bijiminy

Threads
The seat on carburetor is not cutting fuel off, it let fuel drain into sump, change oil if you have a fuel shut off use it evertime you shut off engine, you can take off bottom of carburetor and clean plunger that shuts off fuel when you turn off engine, if plunger missing someone clipped it off thinking it wasn't working.
I took off the bowl. The float and chamber were clean, but I found some parts. Maybe someone can tell me what they are. I fear my engine is already gone though even though I can turn it by hand. Maybe it's not free enough for the starter to turn. I'm going to try to post a link.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They are the carburettor jets and means your carburettor neeeds a rebuild kit because once they fall out all by themselves they are cactus because you can not get just new O rings .

Lawn Addict
Threads
Checking the oil BEFORE use is the key. You would have spotted an over full condition then.

I never even start my old Flathead Briggs push mow without first checking the oil, let alone my Z.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Every now & then I get a box of 3" round keyrings
I put a Berts tag & their key on it and when I leave the mower I hang the key over the dipstick .
It works about 1/2 the time

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert- That's good. I like that..

bijiminy

Threads
I think this mower is self destructing. I think Generac went out of business. To me, it’s no wonder why. Anyone else had experience with Generac? To tell the truth, I’m now gunshy of all gas powered mowers. Never had any problems with my diesel

Last edited:

wrldtvlr

Threads
Generac is still in business and doing well, although it doesn't appear they make standard mowers any more. Standby Power is apparently doing very well - especially in California. There's some thought they may bid for parts of B&S.

bijiminy

Threads
They are the carburettor jets and means your carburettor neeeds a rebuild kit because once they fall out all by themselves they are cactus because you can not get just new O rings .
Could this have caused the white smoke all the sudden?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
Usually too much fuel will cause black smoke ( like running a hot engine with the choke on ) .
But way too much fuel dilutes the oil & washes it of the cylinder walls causing it to burn
Oil moke is more dense than fuel smoke so the white obscures the black.
Regardless, it needs to be fixed.
It works a lot better to FIX ONE THING AT A TIME because one problem can mask another.
So if new jets cause he mower to run much better, but not eliminate the the wite smoke you have eliminated one possible cause.
Excessive fuel can also get into the sump diluting the oil that is in there and that will also cause lots of white smoke.