Dixie Chopper LT2700 started blowing white smoke suddenly

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Dixie Chopper LT2700 started blowing white smoke suddenly
I didn’t add oil to it. It was just serviced when I bought the mower. I never heard of hydrolocking the engine. I don’t think it’s that overfilled, but it’s possible. Like I said, I’m going to lower the oil level. Thanks for the response. Maybe I should add a stop cock to my fuel line.
ALL mowers need a fuel shutoff valve. Use it every mow.
Definitely dump the oil and put manufacturers recommended grade in there. Never run an engine that is overfilled with oil. Don't wait for a new starter.
Senseless to use 93 octane fuel in a lawn mower engine. Most have 8:1 compression. 87 real gas is perfect.

slomo

bijiminy

Threads
I get that I need to check the oil before every startup, and I'm adding a shutoff valve. I'm changing the oil before I do anything. I'm using 10w30. The dealer said that was fine with this mower though the manufacturer recommended 15w40. The manual also says 10w30 is okay. I'll see if the engine turns with the old starter and new oil, but I'm guessing it won't. I'm not going to turn on the gas just to check the starter, because I now know I will need a new carburetor or a rebuild. Thanks for all the responses.

Last edited:

bijiminy

Threads
Yes
Usually too much fuel will cause black smoke ( like running a hot engine with the choke on ) .
But way too much fuel dilutes the oil & washes it of the cylinder walls causing it to burn
Oil moke is more dense than fuel smoke so the white obscures the black.
Regardless, it needs to be fixed.
It works a lot better to FIX ONE THING AT A TIME because one problem can mask another.
So if new jets cause he mower to run much better, but not eliminate the the wite smoke you have eliminated one possible cause.
Excessive fuel can also get into the sump diluting the oil that is in there and that will also cause lots of white smoke.
Thanks Bert

bijiminy

Threads
Okay. Here's the issue: I have a Nikki carburetor OE4215. Apparently, I can get the Carburetor Overhaul Kit OG2009, but I cannot get the Carburetor Bowl Gasket Kit OG2010 or the Solenoid Fuel Shut Off OF1932, which I think I really need. My question is, can I substitute Carburetor OG4610 for the OE4215? I think they are both for the GTV-760 Generac 004864-0. I'd really like some expert confirmation

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The fuel shut off solenoid does not shut off the fuel.
It was not needed from day 1
It just jambs a ram into the main jet to stop the fuel entering the main jet & feeding the engine.
However it does not stop the fuel over flowing into the engine if he float valve fails .
Some clot with poo between their ears trying to sould like they kew what they were blabbering about on You Tube said the solenoid stops fuel entering the carb about a decade ago and like most BS it has become an urban factoid.

bijiminy

Threads
It just jambs a ram into the main jet to stop the fuel entering the main jet & feeding the engine.
However it does not stop the fuel over flowing into the engine if he float valve fails .
Some clot with poo between their ears trying to sould like they kew what they were blabbering about on You Tube said the solenoid stops fuel entering the carb about a decade ago and like most BS it has become an urban factoid.
Looks like I don't need the Solenoid Fuel Shut Off. I don't think I can rebuild this carburetor, in any case, due to the o rings supporting the jets are not part of the kit. I think I'm going to have to pursue another carburetor. Hopefully, this OG4610 is a newer version of the OE4215. Thanks Bert

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The fuel solenoid IS needed from all days on larger engines. It stops after-run, forward firing conditions when killing the engine. Why do you think Briggs, Kawasaki and several others install them on their engines? Their engineers know what they are doing.

Didn't see anyone talk about a fuel solenoid. I was talking about a valve that shuts off fuel.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bijiminy mentioned replacing the solenoid in post 24
I do try to keep answers relevant .
The solenoid is an EPA requirement to keep engines within Cal emission regulations and not emitt any unburned fuel into the atmosphere.
If you throttle down for 30 sec before shut down there is no after fire .
And es I fit taps to every mower that I service & encourage customers to use it every mow.