Dixie Chopper LT2700 started blowing white smoke suddenly

bijiminy

Threads
  • / Dixie Chopper LT2700 started blowing white smoke suddenly
Right after I finished mowing a couple of days ago, I filled up my tanks with 93 octane pure gasoline. After that it started bellowing white smoke. Is that a sign of water in the gas or another problem? I emptied out the tank, and refilled it with 87 octane pure gasoline as the requirement is 85 octane, but I haven't been able to test it since I now have to get a new starter. The starter is too weak to turn the engine. The engine appears to still have good compression. This mower is new to me. It has the original Generac 27 hp GTV-760 engine with approximately 570 hours on it. I was worried about the compression as the dealer put 10w30 oil in it and the suggested oil weight is 15w40. I called him after I learned about this, and he assured me that 10w30 was okay. I was worried that I might have scored the the cylinders with thin oil, but as I said, it seems to have good compression. Is there anything else that the smoke could be? This is an air cooled engine, so I don't think it would be cracked cylinder heads. I've already ordered a starter. I also intend to adjust the valves. I don't think the valve covers have been off since new.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
White smoke normally indicates water in the fuel, especially if it started after filling the tank.

Richie F

Threads
After that it started bellowing white smoke. Is that a sign of water in the gas or another problem?
but I haven't been able to test it since I now have to get a new starter. The starter is too weak to turn the engine.
The engine appears to still have good compression.
I was worried about the compression as the dealer put 10w30 oil in it and the suggested oil weight is 15w40.
I called him after I learned about this, and he assured me that 10w30 was okay.
I was worried that I might have scored the the cylinders with thin oil.

Since it's a air cooled my first thought is rings. Did you save the 93 gas and see if water was in it ?
Why do you need a starter now ? Is it locked up or is the battery weak ?
Did you test for compression ?
10W30 or 15W40 is fine. Read up on oils.
No you didn't damage the cylinder wall with the oil unless something broke. Valve comes to mind.

bijiminy

Threads
Since it's a air cooled my first thought is rings. Did you save the 93 gas and see if water was in it ?
Why do you need a starter now ? Is it locked up or is the battery weak ?
Did you test for compression ?
10W30 or 15W40 is fine. Read up on oils.
No you didn't damage the cylinder wall with the oil unless something broke. Valve comes to mind.
I turned the engine by hand. It seemed to have good compression. I checked it with the plugs in and plugs out. I charged up the battery. Battery is good. Starter too weak to turn over engine. I've had that happen before. Not on a lawn mower. I also think maybe the dealer filled oil too far above the fill point. Maybe too full of oil. Specs are for 2.4 qts. with filter. I bet he put in 3 qts. I've got a new starter coming.

gainestruk

Threads
Check the oil level, it might have dumped gas into oil sump and being overfull is causing white smoke.

bijiminy

Threads
It definitely needs a new starter. Starter will turn it over once and then quits. Just whirs after that. I tried to jump it from a new battery I had. The sump is overfilled. May be the problem with the smoke, but I may have had water in the gas. I bought 93 octane pure gas. Probably few people buy that. I’m going to try to suck some of the oil out. The oil does not smell gassy to me. I’m going to put on the new starter when I get it. I’m going to lower the oil level. If I get it started without smoking, I’ll change out the oil.

gainestruk

Threads
The seat on carburetor is not cutting fuel off, it let fuel drain into sump, change oil if you have a fuel shut off use it evertime you shut off engine, you can take off bottom of carburetor and clean plunger that shuts off fuel when you turn off engine, if plunger missing someone clipped it off thinking it wasn't working.

gainestruk

Threads
It definitely needs a new starter. Starter will turn it over once and then quits. Just whirs after that. I tried to jump it from a new battery I had. The sump is overfilled. May be the problem with the smoke, but I may have had water in the gas. I bought 93 octane pure gas. Probably few people buy that. I’m going to try to suck some of the oil out. The oil does not smell gassy to me. I’m going to put on the new starter when I get it. I’m going to lower the oil level. If I get it started without smoking, I’ll change out the oil.
If it was overfilled with oil that will cause smoking also, disregard my next msg, just make sure oil isn't flooded with gas, did you just have oil changed or added oil to it ?
Also too much oil can hydrolock engine to where starter can't turn engine over.

bijiminy

Threads
If it was overfilled with oil that will cause smoking also, disregard my next msg, just make sure oil isn't flooded with gas, did you just have oil changed or added oil to it ?
Also too much oil can hydrolock engine to where starter can't turn engine over.
I didn’t add oil to it. It was just serviced when I bought the mower. I never heard of hydrolocking the engine. I don’t think it’s that overfilled, but it’s possible. Like I said, I’m going to lower the oil level. Thanks for the response. Maybe I should add a stop cock to my fuel line.

dcgrazier

Threads
I highly recommend you change the oil and the oil filter. An over filled crankcase is a sign of gas leaking into the crankcase from the carburetor. Gas in the crankcase changes the viscosity of the oil and may result in engine damage if you continue to operate the mower without changing the oil. I know this because it happened to me. It also smoked as you described. My problem was solved with a rebuild of the carburetor. I acted quickly and the engine was not damaged.