DC Voltage Output

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now now Telesis you know probably as well as I do 1 + 1 can equal 2 or more. <LOL>

But answers are relative as I do round off most my figures to within a hundredth or less just simplify things. And haven't used a slide rule since the late 70s. Things I fool with now a days is much simpler to work with. I just need to estimate a height of a tree by knowing the distance to the tree and the angle to the top. That way I don't crush the neighbor's automobile or take out the power line feeding the house when I fell a tree.

Actually machining things is where I got to be on the money when making parts. I got a 12" dial type caliper. Now I got to relearn how to use one.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
C'mon Hammer, it's like riding a bike....multiply two numbers using the C and D scales! Mine was the last engineering class in 1976 that the "slip-stick" was taught....a time when the TI SR-50 was the coveted dream machine calculator!

For the record txmowman, nobody is 'puffing their shallow ego.' We're just trying to set you straight. Take the feedback in the spirit in which it was intended, to educate. I realize it's hard to admit that your understanding of a topic is flat out wrong, on multiple levels. I guarantee you every one of us has done so here or elsewhere. But to sit there and insist that 2 x 2 = 5 and we are the 'hacks' for informing you it's really 4 speaks volumes, especially after you were provided with the technical sources right from B&S so you wouldn't have to take our word for it!

I still wish you a Happy New Year!
I thought i was hot stuff when i got a Ti55 calculator then taking calculus at community college they made us get HP35 calculators. I never did like the reverse polish notation thing to enter data. Of course i wasn't a calculus whiz either. When my son was going to university of Dayton as a sophomore he tutored upper classmen in calculus. Kid is way smarter than me but he still calls the old man to fix his stuff.

Telesis

Threads
I'm here ROTFLMAO! You echoed my sentiments on RPN! Never bought an HP and to this day, I'm positive I still couldn't figure out how to properly enter a formula! (I love their test equip though) That's one thing I'm comfortable going to my grave never having learned! RIP RPN

Star, that's the technique we used with model rockets to determine apogee! Gotta luv Pythagoras!

"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for life!"

Mower King

Threads
This thread has turned into a real pi**ing contest between a few.
The OP just wanted to know how to test DC output.....it was answered in the first 4 replies, now it's on page 5....LOL

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Somewhere in the barn i still have my old slide rule. Haven't used it since high school. Probably forgot how to use it by now. It is probably in the same box as my drafting board T square and triangles and french curves also not used since i found Sketchup. I think i threw out the Heathkit VTVM i built. Us old hack dinosaurs are fading away. Funny thing is i have a friend in his 20's with a degree in electrical engineering specializing in controls and he has me do electrical work on his house. You don't need a torque wrench any more. Just tighten till your bad elbow clicks.
One of my big mistakes in life was to abandon ultrasonics in favour of acoustic emissions .
I did this just after the state electricity commission would not allow me to sit their certification tests for contractors because my Kroutkrammer ultrasound generator had a square CRO screen while all of Sperry Rand ones had the std round screens . The head engineer would not understand that the square was just a circle with 4 segments screened off and he claimed it could not give a true trace.
I did sit it a couple of years latter after using the Sperry gear at college so becoming familair with it but they still never allowed me to work for them.
Accoustic emissions is the only real time method of failure detection but even then most of the decision makers are accountants who have a zero understanding of physics unlike when KK kicked off in the 50's when some real people were in decision making positions.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I thought i was hot stuff when i got a Ti55 calculator then taking calculus at community college they made us get HP35 calculators. I never did like the reverse polish notation thing to enter data. Of course i wasn't a calculus whiz either. When my son was going to university of Dayton as a sophomore he tutored upper classmen in calculus. Kid is way smarter than me but he still calls the old man to fix his stuff.
I initally bought a HP 21 because it was all I could afford
Being able to plot linnear regression graphs from raw x-y data was a god send
It go so much use I went through 2 sets of batteries a year.
The lab staff use to borrow it on days when I was not on campus because it was quicker & easier to use than the universities IBM 360 and of course there was full days wait for the data center to convert the numbers into punch cards to feed the compiler with.
Remember compilers ?
The I got a part time job with pubic works and again the calculator spent more time with other staff than me
I mentioned I still had one some 20 years latter to a counter salesman at Jaycar ( electronics store ) and he just about had a fit so I gave it to him complete with original manual and book of equations.
Never paid for any electrical part again till I left the area , apparently they have quite a cult following
Still use the HP 27S I bought to replace it when batteries were no longer available for the 21 and I had cut open & repacked the carrier so many times it would no longer stay together .
The inbuilt stas that allow you to input a complete invoice then scroll back through every entry is really useful for fat fingers attached to failing eyes .

OzPete

Threads
Is there a way to determine the DC output of the B&S alternator,
Someone should answer the actual question in the original post.
So, ... There isn't.
Because the B&S Alternator on that engine doesn't generate DC. It makes AC (Alternating Current). That's why it's called an Alternator.
If an electrical device makes DC then it's called a Generator.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Someone should answer the actual question in the original post.
So, ... There isn't.
Because the B&S Alternator on that engine doesn't generate DC. It makes AC (Alternating Current). That's why it's called an Alternator.
If an electrical device makes DC then it's called a Generator.
We did
B & S put out a chart which explains the differences between the various combinations of stator, magnets & regulators
So it is just a matter of checking the colour of the wire(s) from the stator , the colour of the connector then identifing the regulator ( where fitted ) .
If you want to be really anal you can remove the flywheel & measure the magnets.
Bartles ( the OP ) simply wanted to identify the system he had & find out it's output as B & S do not make mention of it in the parts books , just the numbers which change more often than my bed sheets .