Craftsman 917272011 blades not engaging and kills engine

TobyU

Threads
  • / Craftsman 917272011 blades not engaging and kills engine
I done decide to leave this thread and also decided ignore his crap from now on...just trying there was better way then having to solder everything. Beside I never seen the Briggs kill harnesses corroded.
No reason to leave and no reason to ignore anybody. You do it your way and he will do it his. I'll probably do it a third different way and we'll probably all three get the same end result that fixes the problem and that's really all that matters.
What matters to us individually it takes or how hard or easy it is to do it. I'm going to have to agree with him that a solder connection is one of the best out there especially if you wrap the wires first and then solder and then tape or heat shrink but wrapping them together can cause some bulk but normally that's not a concern on a mower.
Notice I said it's one of the best connections. I didn't say it was the best fix because I have never soldered a single wire on a lawn mower and I've been doing this for decades!
I don't have the time for all that!
Sure, he can come back and tell us how simple it is because he has a propane a small hand torch for one of those newfangled harbor freight instant pot instant cold $12.99 soldering tools but I don't play that game.
I have a set of crimpers some quick connects some cramp connectors some wire nuts some good 3M brand electrical tape and heat shrink.
Far faster for me too stretch, pope, twist.. or actually separate, cut, strip, insert and squeeze than it is to solder but again personal preference.
I don't have any problem with people with differences of opinion but we don't need to be jerks to each other..
My way is the best for me and your way is the best for you and his way is the best for him. Works out just fine. Lol

smalltimerpm

Threads
No reason to leave and no reason to ignore anybody. You do it your way and he will do it his. I'll probably do it a third different way and we'll probably all three get the same end result that fixes the problem and that's really all that matters.
What matters to us individually it takes or how hard or easy it is to do it. I'm going to have to agree with him that a solder connection is one of the best out there especially if you wrap the wires first and then solder and then tape or heat shrink but wrapping them together can cause some bulk but normally that's not a concern on a mower.
Notice I said it's one of the best connections. I didn't say it was the best fix because I have never soldered a single wire on a lawn mower and I've been doing this for decades!
Sure, he can come back and tell us how simple it is because he has a propane a small hand torch for one of those newfangled harbor freight instant pot instant cold $12.99 soldering tools but I don't play that game.
I have a set of crimpers some quick connects some cramp connectors some wire nuts some good 3M brand electrical tape and heat shrink.
Far faster for me too stretch, pope, twist.. or actually separate, cut, strip, insert and squeeze than it is to solder but again personal preference.
I don't have any problem with people with differences of opinion but we don't need to be jerks to each other..
My way is the best for me and your way is the best for you and his way is the best for him. Works out just fine. Lol
Well I think that's what they were doing and they both found a reason to leave and both found a reason to ignore! It's life...get them together and put a wrench in their hand after a year or 2 of working together they will agree on something

Mrjeff62

Forum Newbie
Threads
new here, so have a craftsman 917272011 mower. runs like a champ. when running, i pull the knob for the blades to engage and it kills the motor. There is a wire set up that goes down to the bottom of the mower for i am assuming the clutch set up that makes the belt go around and shows continuity when the knob is pulled on. Not sure what else to do or look for. Any and all help is much appreciated. Thank you
I have had the same issue with mine. First issue was the seat safety switch... I'm barely heavy enough to compress the seat springs to activate the safety relay. So I bypassed it. Second issue was netwrap got wound around the blades, which prevented them from turning, thus killing the engine when engaged. I had to take the blades off to completely clear the mess. Third, the switch itself seem to be going out, I imagine from age and wear and tear. I currently have a bungie cord hooked to the left side of the steering column running across to the red engage button with just enough tension to keep slight side pressure on the button. This seems to be working so far.

bigunn

Threads
Had this problem on one of my craftsman it would run with the clutch depressed if I sat on the seat and either I pulled the blade switch it would kill the engine if I let the clutch it would kill the engine so was looking at the wiring and found a relay behind the battery I had a bunch of relays found a match and it solved the problem.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I not completely gone just went to lurking mode. Yesterday was a bad day in the shop here. Everything went wrong. ATV that came in for u joints needs a new drive shaft instead because the idiot drove until u-joint ears are ready to break. I wasted my time buying the u-joints. What worst is that if install a new half shaft it is $400 vs $75 it was for the u-joints. I did manage to find an used half section but probably will need to change out the u-joint. But $50 is a lot easier on the customer's wallet.

Then a darn Briggs pressure washer comes in a leaking pump. Briggs has NLA the pump seals. Briggs is getting to where everything I order is NLA. Then I get snapped at here for offering a different way of doing the job as I solder will stiffen the wires. On top of that I had warm up my fingers in my coffee because they were hurting so bad from the cold. Adding the guy to my ignore list just means I not wasting my time reading his posts; unless, I want to.

And I have used about every method of soldering over the years. Some works better than others. But just haven't much experience with the hot air method for doing surface mounts yet. I started using the splices as I had make up several Briggs kill harnesses over the winter. And I had been looking for them for years to install thermal fuses and make other repairs where solder just will not hold or work. One place is portable heater elements. They perform just just as well as other solderless terminals such the F56 (GM, Aptriv) terminals that use open barrel crimps. You can also add an extra wire (tap) without cutting the first wire in two, just remove enough insulation to make the connection and reseal the insulation with heat shrink, liquid tape, or whatever you normally use; just not scotch tape or paper tape.

shadetree#1

Threads
No sorry, when the motor running, and wether the clutch is in or out and then I pull engage knob out the motor dies.
And this is also with the deck belt disconnected
Back to your post #11. (last time we heard from you)

You previously said the seat switch is disconnected.
Have you ever operated this mower with the seat switch disconnected?

The reason I ask is because if a seat switch is disconnected, unplugged or bad when the electric PTO is en-gauged the engine will immediately die.

My point being you need to investigate/test the seat switch electrical connections and the switch with a electrical tester.

CaptFerd

Threads
Welcome back everyone. The guy with the problem went awol last Tuesday. Just may be that he was wanting to know what magic wire he could twist together with another to get it going again. If the sell all cars guy comes back my advice would be to study and understand the atomic bomb schematic StarTech dropped on page one. The magic wire looms through many switches and connectors to keep the mower from becoming a death trap. My crystal ball is broken so I cant tell you where the open in the circuit is. But the answers to your problem are most likely already posted in this thread.

Thom75

Threads
new here, so have a craftsman 917272011 mower. runs like a champ. when running, i pull the knob for the blades to engage and it kills the motor. There is a wire set up that goes down to the bottom of the mower for i am assuming the clutch set up that makes the belt go around and shows continuity when the knob is pulled on. Not sure what else to do or look for. Any and all help is much appreciated. Thank you

I had a similar issue, After much testing,I replaced the ignition switch and fixed the problem.

TobyU

Threads
I not completely gone just went to lurking mode. Yesterday was a bad day in the shop here. Everything went wrong. ATV that came in for u joints needs a new drive shaft instead because the idiot drove until u-joint ears are ready to break. I wasted my time buying the u-joints. What worst is that if install a new half shaft it is $400 vs $75 it was for the u-joints. I did manage to find an used half section but probably will need to change out the u-joint. But $50 is a lot easier on the customer's wallet.

Then a darn Briggs pressure washer comes in a leaking pump. Briggs has NLA the pump seals. Briggs is getting to where everything I order is NLA. Then I get snapped at here for offering a different way of doing the job as I solder will stiffen the wires. On top of that I had warm up my fingers in my coffee because they were hurting so bad from the cold. Adding the guy to my ignore list just means I not wasting my time reading his posts; unless, I want to.

And I have used about every method of soldering over the years. Some works better than others. But just haven't much experience with the hot air method for doing surface mounts yet. I started using the splices as I had make up several Briggs kill harnesses over the winter. And I had been looking for them for years to install thermal fuses and make other repairs where solder just will not hold or work. One place is portable heater elements. They perform just just as well as other solderless terminals such the F56 (GM, Aptriv) terminals that use open barrel crimps. You can also add an extra wire (tap) without cutting the first wire in two, just remove enough insulation to make the connection and reseal the insulation with heat shrink, liquid tape, or whatever you normally use; just not scotch tape or paper tape.
I feel you. Starting last year I lowered my stress level a lot with my shop I no longer taking everything that everyone wants to bring me.
I streamlined the type of equipment I work on so now I turn down more than I actually take or about 50/50.
For those pressure washers, I've been telling people for years that I only work on the engine running part because in my climate, 95% of the calls I get are ones that worked fine last time they use them but they simply won't start now.
I tell them I can fix that and make them run properly but if they hook water to it and it leaks or doesn't pump I don't do those repairs and they're out of luck.
Three or four years ago maybe five or six it certainly was not cost-effective to fix them because the cheapest pump you could get even on eBay was $132. Then the pumps bottomed out to 62 to 68 dollars and I did manage to fix a small handful for people that were really nice or long-term repeat customers because it was an economical cost effective repair.
Now those pumps have gotten back up to about 80 minimum so it's borderline.
I've told a lot of them where to order and how easy it is to install the pump so they can do it themselves because frankly, I don't have the time.
I could fix 20 mowers a day and still have a backlog.
I know some of the older and more commercial grade pumps do have parts available and you can get the seal kits and files etc but most of the consumer grade ones now aren't available like that and it's an entire pump replacement.
If you haven't already, take the part number from one of them and put it into an eBay search box and you should find a price that makes it worth swapping off the pumps instead of trying to put seals and stuff like that internally.
There was a time about 9 years ago that certain parts were actually cheaper on Amazon but hasn't been the case for five or six years now. If you scroll down eBay you will be able to find better pricing on almost everything outdoor power equipment related.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Oh on the pressure washer Brigg only wants $375 for the pump which more than the whole pressure cost the customer. I seeing if he will go for a $150 repair with an after market Himore or FAIP pump. I believe from the images the Briggs pump is the FAIP pump just rebranded.

And yes I can still get a $85 pump for the unit if we want go el cheapo route. I might even just suggest he order the pump and install it himself.