Craftsman 917272011 blades not engaging and kills engine

Jack3q

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman 917272011 blades not engaging and kills engine
I tend to agree with shadetree1, maybe check for short to ground on the deck knob wiring, can you unplug it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just a thought
Electric clutches are a big current draw item.
If the clutch is bad as in dead short or the switch goes dead short then this might momentarily cut off power to the fuel solenoid which will also cause the engine to stop .
A bit left field but has been known to happen particularly if the battery is a little low or the charging system is not working as well as it could .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That will work. I restore old radios as a hobby, and have these tools and parts readily available. But terminal splice is a good alternative. My only concern is the bulkiness of the splices, and as long as they could be secured out of the way.
1676744082669.png
You right the one inthe image might be too big.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is a harness with multiple wires. If you put several of those, they add up.
As with even soldered wires you must stagger those connection points. Those splices are not much bigger than the 16 ga wires with insulation. The only difference is the heat shrink.
But here an image of two 16ga wires joined by the splice. I don't think there is much bulk there
1676747463160.png

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I did not stagger anything. I solder and shrinktube them. I spliced wherever they were cut. That was the 2nd wiring issue I had that was repaired. The first was the stator wire that was too close to the flywheel, was sheared off. Clean cut like a razor cut. I had ordered a new stator, and when I went to replace it, I found the sheared wire and realized the stator was still good. I replaced it anyway, and re-routed the 2 wires. The wiring on these mowers left a lot to be desired as far as quality. They seemed put together with carelessness and sloppiness.
Well you are a few hundred harnesses behind me then. Plus I have doing this for 40 yrs now.

Vinnie S.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well you are a few hundred harnesses behind me then. Plus I have doing this for 40 yrs now.
Um, no. I'm probably well ahead on you with working with harnesses. You see, wiring harnesses are in everything electrical/electronic. I have soldered far more wires and harnesses (since early 1980s), then you never ever crimped. And the one thing I have learned about soldering wire, that it is superior to the cheesy crimps that you use. Especially when you take oxidation resulting from being exposed to the elements. Another thing I learned in my 40+ years, is that the reason people don't solder, is because they can't. Not impressed with your 40 cheesy years. LOL

Vinnie S.

Forum Newbie
Threads
As with even soldered wires you must stagger those connection points. Those splices are not much bigger than the 16 ga wires with insulation. The only difference is the heat shrink.
But here an image of two 16ga wires joined by the splice. I don't think there is much bulk there
View attachment 63498
What a crap job. LOL. You charge people for that? LOL

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What a crap job. LOL. You charge people for that? LOL
OK you two
Keep this up & I will put some gloves on you both & sell tickets .

Back to the actual problem
If you make some short jumper wires with a blade terminal at both ends you can unplug the PTO switch and make the contacts shown in the bottom of the circuit diagram manually .
Problem goes away switch is bad
Problem persists then switch is good & problem is elsewhere .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I done decide to leave this thread and also decided ignore his crap from now on...just trying there was better way then having to solder everything. Beside I never seen the Briggs kill harnesses corroded.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
He left as well.
lets quit criticizing each others work as much, i've gotten several PM's of people leaving because of this. yeah, their work may not be as good as professional, let them figure it out on their own. If or when their work fails they can fix it again, and again, if they have to.