Craftsman 917272011 blades not engaging and kills engine

2sellallcars

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman 917272011 blades not engaging and kills engine
new here, so have a craftsman 917272011 mower. runs like a champ. when running, i pull the knob for the blades to engage and it kills the motor. There is a wire set up that goes down to the bottom of the mower for i am assuming the clutch set up that makes the belt go around and shows continuity when the knob is pulled on. Not sure what else to do or look for. Any and all help is much appreciated. Thank you

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does it die when you release the clutch/brake pedal also. also if you remove the deck beck and try to engage the deck does the engine stay running. If it dies with the pedal then most likely something to do with the seat switch. if it keeps running with the deck belt disconnected then something on the deck is jamming the blades.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1676207630908.png
Also the wiring diagram is incorrect as the charging system as this mower came with a Kohler CV16-43512 engine with 15 amp stator and a voltage regulator.

Cusser

Threads
if it keeps running with the deck belt disconnected then something on the deck is jamming the blades.
From my experience with my own 2005 LT1000, when that has happened to me there has been a physical explanation for the deck mechanism not working, like something stuck or broken. Can you turn the blades by hand? Can you move the drive belt by hand?

You may find it easier to diagnose and repair if your drop the deck.

shadetree#1

Threads
Might try unplugging the electric clutch and do a test.

2sellallcars

Forum Newbie
Threads
So the clutch harness is bypassed and so seems to be the seat as well, cause I don’t have to be on it to start.
So I removed the deck belt from the bottom of the motor, pulled the engage knob up by the steering wheel and kills the motor.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Seat switches on these mowers tend to go bad due 12v running thru them. Also the operator present relay tends to go bad usually from moisture getting in it rusting the mechancial part to where it will not move.

If seat switch is bad or simply unplugged the relay will not operate at all; therefore the electric clutch will not even engage. If the seat switch connection is jumper-ed then the whole operator safety system is inoperative.

2sellallcars

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will double check this evening and see what is bypassed. Thanks for your response back

2sellallcars

Forum Newbie
Threads
Back at it.
So I can either have the seat plugged in or disconnected a jumper, start the motor and it dies.
I also have the drive belt for the deck still disconnected.

i also disconnected the electric clutch wires. With the clutch pressed in or out , i pull the engage for the blades and kills the motor still.
I wonder if for some reason the pull knob for the blades is out or has the problem
Let me know what you think.

shadetree#1

Threads
from post #6 you wrote:
So the clutch harness is bypassed and so seems to be the seat as well, cause I don’t have to be on it to start.

Are you saying it will crank with the clutch not depressed?

Have you ever seen this mower operate correctly or is it a new to you mower?

Reason I ask is if you are saying it will crank and start
with the clutch up and no one in the seat it appears someone has been hacking on the wiring harness and defeating the safety switches.

Here is a link to a owners manual for that rig.
Troubleshooting on page 30, 31, 32, and wiring diagram on pg 33.

Last edited: