Changing Transmission Oil

Skippydiesel

Threads
Do the Forum members think there is any benefit in changing the hydrodrive/transmission oil on a Toro Wheel Horse 17 hp?
(FYI mower performs very well but in the past I have had a hydraulic transmission fail & have always wondered if a timely oil change might have extended its working life)

Should the consensus be, it would be beneficial to do this - any thoughts on best oil for the job?

I realise that this may require the transmission/transaxle being removed from the mower, as there does not seem to be any provision for draining the old oil.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hydros are designed to fail
Oil changes can prolong their life if you do not introduce dust into the box when you change the oil
Down side is purging has bare metal running on bare metal so you sort of end up in square one
When they get very grumbly and old you can go p a viscosity grade or two
Say from 20W 50 to ?w60 or even harley oil 40W70 .
I have squeezed an extra 500 hours out of some JD 100 models by resorting to thicker oil
If it has an internal brake the oil changing is very good Idea around 200 to 300 hrs as brake debris accumulates in the box .

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Yeah, they really are designed to fail with the internal brake and the brake dust circulating in the oil 🙄. External brakes are better that way.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yeah, they really are designed to fail with the internal brake and the brake dust circulating in the oil 🙄. External brakes are better that way.
Easy there. Think what Bert was getting at is any oil contamination is no good. I'm guessing, that internal brake is a wet brake design? Inside the pump motor? I don't know. I will never own any mower with hydros. Belts are so much easier and cheaper to maintain.