CHAINSAW BRANDS

Threads
What do you think is the order of these chainsaw brands: Echo, Stihl, and Husqvarna in terms of who is better. I think those are probably the top 3. I think we have all figured out Stihl is probably the best, but which is second best, Echo or Husqvarna?

Parkmower

Threads
1.stihl
2. Husqvarna
3. Dolmar
I don't care for echo.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo.

MBTRAC

Threads
All excellent saw brands- all depends on size, your intended uses & what type of timber you want to cut.

As general recommendations buy a slightly bigger than smaller saw, don't be talked into too big a bar (with experience/thought you can cut at least double the bar length less c2inches without drama), watch the operating weight as only a few extra lbs can make long operations a workout, make certain the chain oiler is adjustable, for longevity get a bar with a greasable bar sprocket, dismiss any saw with a "quick twist" chain adjustment - stick with the proven screw/2 nut adjustment, run the saw on premium 2 Stroke @ 50:1 non-ethanol fuel/good bar oil/clean filters/& a sharp properly adjusted chain....& it should last at least c.10yrs+)

In smaller general duty saws (50-65cc) for general farming, rural fencing & breaking down firewood/limbing/felling trees (@ up to c. 30inch trees) I prefer Husky's, where a larger saw (85cc up) is required for felling bigger trees or breaking down large timber I prefer Stihl.

My personal preference for general rural duties if I had only 1 saw would be:-
a) Husky 455 or 460 (55--60cc) fitted with 18inch bar & probably a .325pitch chain (in ieu of 3/8 pitch). The .325 is the "safest"/most versatile combo (well only as safe as chainsaw can be), an 18inch bar will take down the occasional c.30inch hardwood tree & the .325 will minimise kicking/kickback ( & despite what the "shop experts" say,if kept sharp has no trouble cutting through dead hard woods - handles dead Australian hardwood no drama) & cut or carve without drama for the operator
b) or as a step up in size if you're only cutting hardwood, "bulk" firewood or larger timber Stihl MS781 (72cc) rugged reliable, low tech & good value, or a Husky 562 (59cc), but to make best use of the power you'll need a 3/8 min 24inch bar combo

IMO, I'd stick with Sthil or Husqvarna based on reliabilty/parts support/safety features- each are good brands, & each brand/moldel feels a little different in your "hand", so it all comes down to personal preference, dealer location/relationship etc ...IMO the Husky in small saws fire up far easier & their startup/shutdown controls & maintenance are more intuitive for operators, nothing against Stihl's it just seems small Husky's are just a tad marginally better in these areas (conversely I find in large saws the Stihl fitration system far better, staying cooler,cleaner & cleaner running in heavy all day applications).

Once you go below 50cc, you're into a "homeowner" range of which I've no experience - may be great for extremely limited use, but you're not going to be cutting much more than small Xmas trees & "shrubs" on a regular basis.

We own/operate all the above saws & more on our farms, & with 35yr+ professional rural chainsaw use & logging experience, having tried most of the mainstream brands over the years & a few "throw aways" too....a sharp chain & a patient safe operator who plans their cuts will make up for most limitations of saw brands/models/size.

And like most I have favourite saws - unfortunately the US McCulloch PM850's/1000's became extinct in the early 80's, but then I'm not quite as fit as in the late 70's/80's to operate a .c10kgs/20lbs saw all day long...but I still have keep a few big Mc's in running order for special occassions........

Good luck & let us what know you decide on, why & how you find the ownership experience

metz12

Threads
I like husqvarna chainsaws. They are right up their with stihl in my eyes, i like the 345 with the 18inch bar.

benski

Threads
1.Stihl
2.Echo

I've never owned a Husky, but I have one of each of the above-mentioned brands.:smile:

gabowman

Threads
I've had the same Husky for 30+ years (worked it hard for 12-15 years) and have never done anything other than replace the chain and bar. I know the stihl is good but until I run one I wouldnt put it above the Husky.

fatboy

Threads
I bought a Stihl last year because of its reputation for quality and have been disappointed. My Husky though has never let me down
1. Husquevarna
2.Stihl