Export thread

CHAINSAW BRANDS

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

What do you think is the order of these chainsaw brands: Echo, Stihl, and Husqvarna in terms of who is better. I think those are probably the top 3. I think we have all figured out Stihl is probably the best, but which is second best, Echo or Husqvarna?

Parkmower

Parkmower

1.stihl
2. Husqvarna
3. Dolmar
I don't care for echo.

Ric

Ric

Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo.

M

MBTRAC

All excellent saw brands- all depends on size, your intended uses & what type of timber you want to cut.

As general recommendations buy a slightly bigger than smaller saw, don't be talked into too big a bar (with experience/thought you can cut at least double the bar length less c2inches without drama), watch the operating weight as only a few extra lbs can make long operations a workout, make certain the chain oiler is adjustable, for longevity get a bar with a greasable bar sprocket, dismiss any saw with a "quick twist" chain adjustment - stick with the proven screw/2 nut adjustment, run the saw on premium 2 Stroke @ 50:1 non-ethanol fuel/good bar oil/clean filters/& a sharp properly adjusted chain....& it should last at least c.10yrs+)

In smaller general duty saws (50-65cc) for general farming, rural fencing & breaking down firewood/limbing/felling trees (@ up to c. 30inch trees) I prefer Husky's, where a larger saw (85cc up) is required for felling bigger trees or breaking down large timber I prefer Stihl.

My personal preference for general rural duties if I had only 1 saw would be:-
a) Husky 455 or 460 (55--60cc) fitted with 18inch bar & probably a .325pitch chain (in ieu of 3/8 pitch). The .325 is the "safest"/most versatile combo (well only as safe as chainsaw can be), an 18inch bar will take down the occasional c.30inch hardwood tree & the .325 will minimise kicking/kickback ( & despite what the "shop experts" say,if kept sharp has no trouble cutting through dead hard woods - handles dead Australian hardwood no drama) & cut or carve without drama for the operator
b) or as a step up in size if you're only cutting hardwood, "bulk" firewood or larger timber Stihl MS781 (72cc) rugged reliable, low tech & good value, or a Husky 562 (59cc), but to make best use of the power you'll need a 3/8 min 24inch bar combo

IMO, I'd stick with Sthil or Husqvarna based on reliabilty/parts support/safety features- each are good brands, & each brand/moldel feels a little different in your "hand", so it all comes down to personal preference, dealer location/relationship etc ...IMO the Husky in small saws fire up far easier & their startup/shutdown controls & maintenance are more intuitive for operators, nothing against Stihl's it just seems small Husky's are just a tad marginally better in these areas (conversely I find in large saws the Stihl fitration system far better, staying cooler,cleaner & cleaner running in heavy all day applications).

Once you go below 50cc, you're into a "homeowner" range of which I've no experience - may be great for extremely limited use, but you're not going to be cutting much more than small Xmas trees & "shrubs" on a regular basis.

We own/operate all the above saws & more on our farms, & with 35yr+ professional rural chainsaw use & logging experience, having tried most of the mainstream brands over the years & a few "throw aways" too....a sharp chain & a patient safe operator who plans their cuts will make up for most limitations of saw brands/models/size.

And like most I have favourite saws - unfortunately the US McCulloch PM850's/1000's became extinct in the early 80's, but then I'm not quite as fit as in the late 70's/80's to operate a .c10kgs/20lbs saw all day long...but I still have keep a few big Mc's in running order for special occassions........

Good luck & let us what know you decide on, why & how you find the ownership experience

mowerman1999

mowerman1999

1. sthil
2. echo
3. husqvarna

metz12

metz12

I like husqvarna chainsaws. They are right up their with stihl in my eyes, i like the 345 with the 18inch bar.

L

lawnman tx

Husqvarna for homers. pro will have to be sthil

B

benski

1.Stihl
2.Echo

I've never owned a Husky, but I have one of each of the above-mentioned brands.:smile:

G

gabowman

I've had the same Husky for 30+ years (worked it hard for 12-15 years) and have never done anything other than replace the chain and bar. I know the stihl is good but until I run one I wouldnt put it above the Husky.

F

fatboy

I bought a Stihl last year because of its reputation for quality and have been disappointed. My Husky though has never let me down
1. Husquevarna
2.Stihl

jekjr

jekjr

What do you think is the order of these chainsaw brands: Echo, Stihl, and Husqvarna in terms of who is better. I think those are probably the top 3. I think we have all figured out Stihl is probably the best, but which is second best, Echo or Husqvarna?

All three are good saws. Can't say for sure now but in the past Sachs Dolmar and Johnserd outta fit in that class as well. They still build saws and both are quality.

S

shadeytree

1. Stihl
2. Husqvarna
3. ??
I have used Stihl, Husqvarna, Poulan, Echo, and a few others. IMHO, none are equal with Stihl, but Husqvarna is a close second.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

1. Stihl (had mine for years an love it)
2. Echo (because there top handle saw are light quick an powerful I rented one a while back an loved it plan to buy one soon!:rolleyes:
3. Husqavarna (they are getting more an more like a Poland now :thumbdown:

J

Justlawns

Homelite before they were sold in home cheapo

exotion

exotion

Only ever used stihls and will only ever use stihl was sold on the first use. I've used a few different ones from 10" to 20" bars

M

motoman

MBTRAK, great reply, thanks.

Have only owned Husky, but has been great, 18 " bar. Many many cords of madrone and now doug fir maintenance. Repaired pull cord and replaced chain sprocket. Original bar.

Saw is vintage 2000.

H

hilcntry

Greetings!

When I moved out to the country from near a big city, I needed a saw.
The country house was on 60 wooded acres and had 2 fire places.
Didn't know what to buy but saw Poulan ads when watching NFL games.
Big mistake, didn't even have a chain break. Used it for a couple years
till I realized it wasn't made for the kind of use I was putting it to.

A contractor owed me a favor and gave me a brand new 20in Husky rancher.
Great saw, but heavy for an old man, but I was impressed with the Husky
so I bought a 14 to do most of the work. The big one only comes out when needed.

Can't comment on the brands other that Poulan "junk". If I were to
buy another saw it would be a Husky.

hilcntry/Tom

reynoldston

reynoldston

1. Husqvarna
2. Stihl

I own both saws and the Husqvarna cuts much faster then the Stihl, with less repairs. Also the Husky is a lot lighter.

lfconrad

lfconrad

I have an 18" Husqvarna that has done a nice job for me. We have 19 acres, about half of which is wooded.

I went through two "toolless" Poulan Pros before I bought this saw. The self - oiler went out on both of them fairly quickly.

Haven't used a Stihl because the price is a little steep for what I need. But I have read and heard great reviews.

T

tybilly

jonsred used to be a sponsor of the band Jackyl,but you set one of their smaller homeowner saws beside a husky and a crasftsman,of the same sizemand theyre the same saw

davbell22602

davbell22602

Stihl, Dolmar, Echo and Husqvarna.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

3. Husqavarna (they are getting more an more like a Poland now :thumbdown:

I got a Husky 346xp an its great to get the best saws out of any brand you gotta pay the bigger bucks like 300 an Above

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

1. Stihl "German Made"
2. Stihl "American Made"

Fish

Fish

Stupid thread......

exotion

exotion

Stupid thread......

Hmm why is that?

searsboy

searsboy

1. McCULLOCh

2. Poulan /// Poulan pro

3. And an old time (Bobcat 454) or a (Lombard Wonder 650) two good old saws I just can't choose witch one to be #3 ?

I've used so meany different saws there's no way I could name them all ranging From the 1930's to this day and almost A-Z. Large and small, and those five different ones are my favorite. I collect just about anything old, I have 18 saws now and rising but only one of them is above the late 70's and its a 16" Poulan around an 08 or 09, it and my McCULLOC is my daily use saws.

173abn

173abn

I've got a stihl but recentaly bought a johnsred.I'ts got a compression release that makes it easier to start than my stihl.The TSC store I bought it at told me they also make Hasquvera....russ

Gary L.

Gary L.

I have only owned a Stihl for a long as I can remember. Nice saws!

jekjr

jekjr

I have a Stihl. It is a good saw. Thinking about trying an Echo when I buy another which I hope is a long time. A chain saw is one thing that we do not use a whole lot but when we need one we need one that is dependable.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Stihl and Husqvarna for a pro.

Echo for homeowner.

I also like Johnsred

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Stupid thread......

Where's your meds?